Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 250 Class Electric Helicopters

250 Class Electric Helicopters 250 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2010, 08:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Should I get a 250?

So far all my helis are e-flite.

I have a Blade MSR, which I can do tail-in, head-in, and fly around indoors without hitting walls most of the time.

I also have a Blade 400 which I am happy doing tail-in hovers with, but get a bit nervous when the tail isn't pointing vaguely in my direction, and I've been trying to pluck-up the courage to do a nose-in hover, but I'm not there yet.

You'll note that both of these helis come pre-assembled. I recently did a major pimping of my MSR which involved replacing many of its components with aluminium 3rd party components, and I must say it was extremely satisfying.

So now I'm thinking it would be fun to buy a heli I had to assemble myself, and the idea of a CP heli that is small enough to fly indoors is very appealing, especially given that I can re-use my Spektrum DX6i transmitter provided I use a Spektrum transmitter with it.

Am I crazy to think my next heli should be a T-Rex 250?
sanity is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2010, 08:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

You can't go wrong getting a T-Rex. The question should be which one.

The 250SE is very fun to fly but takes alot of work to setup right and to keep it flying due to small parts when you crash. Even when you don't crash it, you got to look it over to make sure somethings not about to depart.

The 450 size is also fun to fly with a little less work to keep in the air.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I think the issue with the trex 450 for me is that I've heard it is quite similar to the Blade 400 I already own, and so I'm not sure there is much point in that.

The thing that excites me about the 250 is that its a CP-capable heli that I could potentially fly in my garage.
sanity is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2010, 08:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanity View Post
I think the issue with the trex 450 for me is that I've heard it is quite similar to the Blade 400 I already own, and so I'm not sure there is much point in that.

The thing that excites me about the 250 is that its a CP-capable heli that I could potentially fly in my garage.
Ah!
you may want to look into a Novus125 CP or the 4G6s CP for indoor flying. BTW both Helicopters are the same. Helimax just tags it with thier name. I have the Novus 125 and fly it with the 2801 Pro. Radio is a 2.4 8 ch. The 250se is very capable as well.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think most everyone will tell you that the 250 is absolutely not an indoor heli, unless your garage is an airplane hanger. Hope you've got your insurance agent on speed dial. That's not to say that lots of us (including myself) haven't done some practice or tune-up hovers in a garage or basement, but that's about as far as you will get. As a backyard flyer, with a decent size clearing--- perfect. Whereas, the 250 is smaller than your Blade 400, it's also quicker and can require almost (but not quite) the same amount of flying space. You will love your 250 as an outdoor flyer.
Finskeeper is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2010, 04:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Get a 450. It will teach you how to build and tune a heli. Learn on the 450 and then buy a 250
dk31 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2010, 06:23 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You can't do much other then hover the 250 in your garage really. It's still to big to fly in anything less then a gym or a yard. Go for it if you want it. But if you want a CP heli for your garage/living room look into the 4G6S or Novus 125CP as previously stated.
RCHO Flying Field, Knightdale NC
lazor 22 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2010, 06:35 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

No. Get a 500, if you need another heli. You have a B400 so there's no point to another 450 sized heli. The 500 is more stable, about the same maintenance cost as a 450, and you will learn to fly more easily with it. The small helis, fun as they may be are very limited in flying areas until you attain very good chopper skills. The 250 class helis are not indoor machines, not unless you have a big hall or gym. If you enjoy spending money on parts and time on repairs, buy more small helis. You won't learn to fly your B400 any better. Stick time is what counts (and proper setup). Concentrate on one or two machines til your skills come up. Fly your mSR indoors when you really have to just gotta fly.

Ok, here's the 180.... Fuggeddabout the little FP helis and buy a 250, and set it up real gentle - something like your B400. With a nod to space and wind, it will give you CP stick time which will help your B400, provided you dial out its suicidal tendencies. Confidence with a tame 250 will translate into confidence with the bigger machines. Don't be afraid to crash, its going to happen anyway. Get used to it.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a Trex 600, and a Trex 250.
I am also at the hover and turn phase.

I bought the 250 to practice hovering inside. Apart from hovering, not recommended inside.

Whilst possible, (over 20 batteries inside now), it is a stretch, and the yard is where it belongs.
I tamed down the 250 with some flybar weights, and it is 'ok' in my living room (65 sq metres) but when you hit something (and you will) the extent is only extant after fixing the obvious. there is usually something else broken as well.

I was flying the 250 outside yesterday in 30kmh gusts, and it was a handful. Anticipation is good.
The 600 even had some issues.
But the 250 is a very capable heli - just make sure you spend the time to setup the swash etc before trying to fly it. makes a huge difference on an agile heli.
peterreebok is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2010, 06:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60something View Post
Fuggeddabout the little FP helis
Agreed, exactly why he should get a 4G6!
Old 09-21-2010, 12:36 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 250

so is the 250 good for practicing hovering?
flynhawaiian is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2010, 09:48 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default good for practicing hovering?

no and yes.

If you can hover a 250, particularly in a wind, you are developing serious skills.

A 450 is easier, a 500 is a LOT easier, but a 250 is a LOT of work to fly and hard to fix. I wouldn't fly a 250 in the house; it looks innocent but can break things (people, furniture) with those hard little blades.

Go bigger if you can. No way would I recommend a 250 as a person's main heli.
freewheel510 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2010, 09:48 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

the 250 is awesome for practicing hovering and basic orientation. It can be made to hover much more docile than a Walkera 4G6 and is not as "twitchy". The only drawback is that it can do damage if you fly it indoors. If a 4G6 flys into a wall or furniture, a small scrape or nick is the most damage that will be had, whereas a 250 can cause a serious gouge or rip.
Steve Joblin is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2010, 10:10 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

A 250 with carbon blades does irreparable damage to a leather couch.

Dont ask me how I know this!
Old 09-21-2010, 10:27 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Indoor 250

Get a 250, you will love it! I fly one in the winter in a concrete parking garage with 9 ft ceilings no problem. Realistically, they can be a bit tough to tune as a first build, especially the tail.

And, flying in your house is a bit like starting your chain saw in the shower! Careful careful! I calculated it out once, the blade tips are going 235 MPH.

Terry
exblade is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2010, 11:07 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Get a 250 just not the trex. Maybe the Gaui 255? For a newcomer to cp helis the trex is a p.i.a. to setup and get tuned correctly. The 450 is much easier and doesn't seem to have as many tail problems. I chased the tail wag for months, dumping a ton of money in it in the process. It's a great heli, don't get me wrong but it isn't easy to get setup or maybe I got a lemon. Just my opinion. I'm sure people will disagree.
linksmechanic is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2010, 02:11 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by linksmechanic View Post
Get a 250 just not the trex. Maybe the Gaui 255? For a newcomer to cp helis the trex is a p.i.a. to setup and get tuned correctly. The 450 is much easier and doesn't seem to have as many tail problems. I chased the tail wag for months, dumping a ton of money in it in the process. It's a great heli, don't get me wrong but it isn't easy to get setup or maybe I got a lemon. Just my opinion. I'm sure people will disagree.

I am a recent noob, and I setup the heli as slow and docile after reading how on this forum.
I have recently quickened up the responses, as I increase my skills.
My other heli is a T600, between the two of them I am progressing quite quickly.

The 250 can be setup how you want it.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:35 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

My first T-Rex was a 450 size. From there i moved to a Raptor 50 which was way way more stable from a 450. When the 500 was made available, i moved to a 500 and have less stick time on my 50. I can say that the 500 would be a better platform for u to invest on. Recently i bought a 250. All i can say, it was not what i thought it was. I have a Solo Pro V2 to fly around at home. Now thats something that u can fly in a confine space. Beware its a 4 chn heli.
RAPTOR 50 TITAN (maiden 16/06/2006)
eerie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2010, 06:52 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Gaui?

[QUOTE=linksmechanic;2353607]Get a 250 just not the trex. Maybe the Gaui 255? For a newcomer to cp helis the trex is a p.i.a. to setup and get tuned correctly. /QUOTE]

I agree about the T250, but is the Gaui really better? I don't know anything about it.
freewheel510 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2010, 07:57 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The gaui 255 is a 300 class heli...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in