Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > 130X

130X Blade 130X Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2014, 09:01 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default GY280

Hey Kevin, (wsntme)

can you tell me where you got your GY280RX from, I'm thinking about building another 130X with this unit, I'm curious to see how it compares to the mini V.

Thanks
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2014, 09:13 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabian1675 View Post
Hey Kevin, (wsntme)

can you tell me where you got your GY280RX from, I'm thinking about building another 130X with this unit, I curious to see how it compares to the mini V.

Thanks
Here ya go Fabian

http://9imod.com/index.php?main_page...oducts_id=2926

Took a week or just over for me to get it here in AZ from China. I was expecting to wait forever like I do with things from Banggood.

-Kevin
wsntme is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2014, 09:26 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsntme View Post
Here ya go Fabian

http://9imod.com/index.php?main_page...oducts_id=2926

Took a week or just over for me to get it here in AZ from China. I was expecting to wait forever like I do with things from Banggood.

-Kevin
Nice, thanks. Have you tried using the bluetooth capability?
Old 01-26-2014, 09:37 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabian1675 View Post
Nice, thanks. Have you tried using the bluetooth capability?
The most I have done so far is get it powered up, bound to my Tx, and verified that I can get it to connect to my PC and the Mikado software. I believe the bluetooth module is a seperate piece as I don't think it is something that I have.

It'll be nice to hear your comparison between the GY280Rx and the genuine mini v. The more people running the GY280rx the better IMO since I'm sure I'll end up with many questions .

Edit: So it look like if I want to do bluetooth setup I just need to get something like THIS? I have seen a youtube video of the GY280rx being setup via bluetooth on a walkera 120. I just checked out the video again and noticed I've mounted my FBL 180* from the one in the video....hopefully this does not present issues with setup and function of the unit .

Last edited by wsntme; 01-26-2014 at 10:51 PM..
Old 01-27-2014, 03:21 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

How about weight? Is GY280 lighter or heavier than the stock 3-in-1?
Old 01-27-2014, 08:09 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picofly View Post
How about weight? Is GY280 lighter or heavier than the stock 3-in-1?
Stock board weighs 7.8g with the shrink and connectors included. The GY280rx weighs in a 5g. Then you add your ESC and I'm sure together they are heavier than the stock board but I'm not sure by how much.

EDIT: Just took off my talon and put it on the scale ... with the bullets and my ghetto mounting plate the total weight of the ESC and wires is 7.5g
So basically I've replaced the stock board with equal weight(esc) AND added 5+g (fbl). I'm going to get more of this thing put together before I start worrying too much about weight.

Old 01-27-2014, 10:37 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for information!

I am wondering if a 7A esc is enough...I have a couple of YGE 7S esc's in my parts box. They weight only 0,7g without wires. YGE 7 does not have a BEC but I have a bunch of 5V/1A Polulu regulators which weight only 0,6g .
Old 01-27-2014, 11:06 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Thanks for information!

I am wondering if a 7A esc is enough...I have a couple of YGE 7S esc's in my parts box. They weight only 0,7g without wires. YGE 7 does not have a BEC but I have a bunch of 5V/1A Polulu regulators which weight only 0,6g .
No way will a 7 amp esc cut the mustard. A phoenix 10 just makes it and that is with current limiting turned off and that is on 2s. Yes in theory the 3s is more efficient and will be due to higher voltage. But that 1102 eox 3s motor is a power house with up to 12 amp max draw!!!
scott s is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2014, 11:46 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

hmm... YGE 12 S weights 2.9g without the wires. Should I try or not? I am struggling to keep AUW of my FPV setup under 155g.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:55 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
hmm... YGE 12 S weights 2.9g without the wires. Should I try or not? I am struggling to keep AUW of my FPV setup under 155g.
LOL! the weight without wires is irrelevant. What does it way with wires. They do not work without wires HA!
Old 01-27-2014, 12:26 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott s View Post
LOL! the weight without wires is irrelevant. What does it way with wires. They do not work without wires HA!
True, but some wires are lighter than the others!
Old 01-27-2014, 12:53 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
True, but some wires are lighter than the others!
Don't want to hijack this thread so last post on this. You need to weigh that yge 12 with the wires that are on it! You can shorten them to fit to save a little weight. That weight listed as 2.9 grams without wires is the weight of the esc without the wires they solder to it. Not any wires that you may connect to the existing esc wires!
A foolish spec IMO. I don't know why they waste their time even giving that spec LOL!
Old 01-27-2014, 01:43 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Don't want to hijack this thread so last post on this. You need to weigh that yge 12 with the wires that are on it! You can shorten them to fit to save a little weight. That weight listed as 2.9 grams without wires is the weight of the esc without the wires they solder to it. Not any wires that you may connect to the existing esc wires!
A foolish spec IMO. I don't know why they waste their time even giving that spec LOL!
I was planning to replace the existing wires with lighter ones. It is easy enough way to save a couple of grams.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:13 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey Picofly,

Do you run the fpv gear off the flight pack, stepped down, because I was thinking about your BEC comment, the 5v/1a regulator, that would be really close to not enough with just the rotary servos alone, any load and you risk brown out. just a thought.
SkyKraken is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2014, 07:25 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well I just made about the biggest mistake you can with electronics!!! I let out A LOT of magic smoke, not sure yet how much damage I've done but I'm afraid I may have fried this entire project in one bonehead move! FML.

Esc was connected, motor was connected, fbl was connected....I fear that all three have been fried. Costly mistake. Will look into when I'm not so PO'd at myself.

Mis-wired my mini t plug on the esc, idiot.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:54 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

OH NOOOOO! I doubt the motor would be effected but you never Know. Hopefully the esc's internal bec puffed before any reverse polarity reached the fbl unit. Maybe the fbl has reverse polarity protection. Hope, hope, hope. But your esc is probably toast.
Sorry to hear this.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:05 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
OH NOOOOO! I doubt the motor would be effected but you never Know. Hopefully the esc's internal bec puffed before any reverse polarity reached the fbl unit. Maybe the fbl has reverse polarity protection. Hope, hope, hope. But your esc is probably toast.
Sorry to hear this.
How do I determine if my ESC is toast or not?

I just hooked everything back up, correctly this time, and it all seems to function. Motor spins up, FBL is visible is VStabi, and both are powered through the talon.

I suspected the motor damage only because one of the leads had gotten so hot that it delsoldered itself from the ESC...that's the area from which all the smoke came. Obviously the shrink tube was burning pretty good giving off smoke but I'm not sure if there is damage or not.

Nice burn/blister from where I was plugging in the battery!

Rigged up for testing
Old 01-27-2014, 08:37 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

Do you have a volt meter. I would measure the esc's bec output before you go any further! though your fbl will take a full 2s lipo voltage it will not tolerate 3s. Or your bec may be outputting lower than 5.5 volts now. Check it and be safe first!
I bet you never make that mistake ever again!!
By the way are you nuts resting that un covered esc on top of an aluminum bearing block with screws sticking out all around it etc, and putting power thru it!! You are asking for another burnout LOL!
Old 01-27-2014, 08:43 PM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Do you have a volt meter. I would measure the esc's bec output before you go any further! though your fbl will take a full 2s lipo voltage it will not tolerate 3s. Or your bec may be outputting lower than 5.5 volts now. Check it and be safe first!
I bet you never make that mistake ever again!!
By the way are you nuts resting that un covered esc on top of an aluminum bearing block with screws sticking out all around it etc, and putting power thru it!! You are asking for another burnout LOL!
yes I know it was not the safest test setup but the ESC was actually "floating" and not touching the aluminum.

I will check the bec voltage now. Thanks!
Old 01-27-2014, 08:50 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm getting 5.598....So I'd say that is good.

Any other things I should check before I consider myself very lucky?

I'm thinking I'm lucky I discovered my mistake with a 2s battery and not a 3!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in