Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > bavarianDEMON/HeliCommand

bavarianDEMON/HeliCommand Factory Sponsored Bavarian DEMON and HeliCommand Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2015, 10:31 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Ajusting max aileron / elevator /cyclic on 3SX

Hi,

I installed a BD3SX on a 180CFX, it works very well, the rescue feature have been usefull for a neewbie like me and the stabilisation, wow, when things are going bad, flip the switch and all goes smooth.

I am getting in more ajustements details and seing things i did not see when starting so i have some questions on the aileron and elevator setting and setting the collective.

In the menu theyre are 4 possible ajustements.

To eliminate one, i understand the cyclic offset must stay at zero for inverted flying so set=0

I am not sure about the sequence on the other 3 ajustments.

1-I go on the servo trim menu and the blades are at zero. To configure and verify, i fold the blades and rotate the folded blade on all 4 positions, front, right, left and back so when the are at the same height i think zero is ok.

2- Then i make sure the remote is all at zero pitch ail and ele.

I move to the next servo tab and move to the 3 following ajustements:

A-aileron
B-elevator
C-collective pitch travel

This is the part that i am not sure about.

So to measure the max collective travel, i use the pitch stick and put it at max up and max down. It gives a measured angle (distance between tips and with length of blade to read angle) of about16 degrees for setting of 85.

I then configure the max ail and ele at 75 but not sure why i should not put 100 ???.

When i compare to the tail where setting max is easy, i am asking myself if i should not use the ail and ele with max pitch to really see the max travel ? Maybe it's not clear but when i set max pitch, if i move the ail or ele i seem to see more travel on the servos... ???

Is it the right sequence to setup the collective max and then the max ail/ele to less or equal to max collective ?

If i use a pitch gauge, how do i really test the max ail and ele setting ? Do i just Center pitch, turn the blades and test by moving ail/ele stick ?

I read à lot on swachplate setting, zero etc. But these 3 setting are not 100% clear to me.
proy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2015, 11:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I put on a pitch gauge and then move my collective and read the pitch gauge then adjust the max collective (maybe 13*) until the pitch gauge gives me my max desired reading. For Aileron and Elevator max's I usually try to get 9-10 degrees of cyclic.
In my Tx I then set the max pitch that I want to fly with, the max in software is just somewhere close to the max without binding, but I usually limit it to 13*-13.5*.

Last edited by KSHeli; 06-27-2015 at 11:38 AM.. Reason: sp
KSHeli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2015, 11:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I never can remember, but I believe you set the blades 90* to the tail boom and move your Tx cyclic stick fully left or right to measure max aileron cyclic, in other words when reading the pitch gauge for max aileron cyclic you'll be looking at the side of the heli. When reading the pitch gauge for elevator cyclic the blades will be parallel to the boom and the pitch guage will be over the nose of the heli.
Old 06-27-2015, 09:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSHeli View Post
I put on a pitch gauge and then move my collective and read the pitch gauge then adjust the max collective (maybe 13*) until the pitch gauge gives me my max desired reading. For Aileron and Elevator max's I usually try to get 9-10 degrees of cyclic.
In my Tx I then set the max pitch that I want to fly with, the max in software is just somewhere close to the max without binding, but I usually limit it to 13*-13.5*.
Today after your post i did set the collective to about 13 degre versus the 16 I had, flying went well. I did not change the aileron and elevator setting.

I still have a interrogation, is the max collective percent setting independent of the max aileron and lee setting ? That is question that is bugging me the most ( at the moment).
proy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2015, 03:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would say probably not as I haven't seen any binding issues when moving the sticks to the corners on the bench. I can not say for sure I know this type of question has been asked before, but I can't remember the outcome from others replies.
Old 06-28-2015, 05:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by proy View Post
Today after your post i did set the collective to about 13 degre versus the 16 I had, flying went well. I did not change the aileron and elevator setting.

I still have a interrogation, is the max collective percent setting independent of the max aileron and lee setting ? That is question that is bugging me the most ( at the moment).
check this older link but works the same, read step #8, i believe they are independent.

http://www.myyosemite.com/logo-500se...-dx8-build-log

volar is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2016, 10:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Where is the pitch gauge placed for CP and cyclic setup? I put it on the front and back for both CP and aileron and get two different readings with about 0.5 offset for both. It gets more interesting for the elevator pitch on the right and left side. It was 11.4 on the left side vs. 7.9 on the right. Which one is correct?

Thanks
RFCXPerT is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2016, 09:48 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFCXPerT View Post
Where is the pitch gauge placed for CP and cyclic setup? I put it on the front and back for both CP and aileron and get two different readings with about 0.5 offset for both. It gets more interesting for the elevator pitch on the right and left side. It was 11.4 on the left side vs. 7.9 on the right. Which one is correct?

Thanks
Check over the nose of the heli and then check which ever side has the leading edge of the blade coming forward towards the nose. To check the other blade rotate the blade to that position and install the pitch gauge, DON'T move the pitch gauge to the other side.
Old 09-16-2016, 09:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSHeli View Post
Check over the nose of the heli and then check which ever side has the leading edge of the blade coming forward towards the nose. To check the other blade rotate the blade to that position and install the pitch gauge, DON'T move the pitch gauge to the other side.
I'll check it. What about the aileron which gave me very close readings from right and left side? Thanks

Btw the rotor head is CCW but that would not matter right except reversing the blades for the gauge. One point that I didn't not mention is that the readings were taken at mid stick but with about +4.5 pitch, not 0 as the standard symmetrical blade setup.
Old 09-16-2016, 10:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Pretty sure you only work off of one blade and you put them Parallel to the tail boom and you can work off either. As long as your grip to swash arms are the same both blades should be the same. Pretty sure the wizard tells you this its been a bit since I've used the wizard. But I have 4 of these units and have set them up numerous times like this with perfect results every time. Actually have another two units coming for one more heli and then a plank.
Bm421 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2016, 02:54 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Is the elevator +-7.7 ok at 0 or low stick with just a slight binding at full stick deflection? If not then it can be bumped up because I believe I won't be in a situation when landing from 1 to 0 tick mark with full elevator stick deflection.

A side question: should the motor pinion be connected to the gear drive for CC (or any other brand) ESC testing purpose (rpm and such)?

Thanks for any suggestion
Old 09-18-2016, 04:52 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Typically you want 0 binding at any point. That being said if it only binds at max collective You will rarely be at 100% collective + cyclic inputs. Me personally I'd back it off to 0 binding.

If you're setting up the esc either back the motor off or pull both sets of blades, Main and tail. It's rare to have it spin up in set up but safe practice is never a bad thing.
Old 09-19-2016, 01:04 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

It happens at the 0 or low stick but either way would be unrealistic or too extreme to happen. But is it still ok to leave at 7.7 elevator cyclic or not wo binding?

There is no gear connected to the motor so is the motor rpm test still valid?
Old 09-19-2016, 05:31 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'd eliminate all binding. Binding is not a good thing. The little bit you lose to eliminate the binding you prob won't even notice.

What do you mean rpm test? Using a separate optical sensor on board telemetry or cc log? With cc log and on board telemetry you can have the gears undriven cause you enter the gear ratio and the programs work out the math but if you're using a optical you need the reflective tape on one grip and spin the rotor assembly.
Old 09-19-2016, 05:44 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

So wo binding I can only get about 7.7 elevator pitch is this acceptable by BD spec?

That was what I've been doing with 500kV and 12S cells wo gear drive connected for the set RPM test run but from CC datalog only 26% power output showed for 100% (the 3rd set RPM box) for example. I've been waiting for CC tech support to explain this.
Old 09-19-2016, 06:03 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

That is fine. And power output is always going to be less without having a load on the system. If you had max output with no load or strain on the motor then you'd have problems once you had load. I'd say your fine fly her and then pull the log data and see what you have.
Old 09-19-2016, 06:05 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Make sure you check the servo corrections before first flight. Tilt the heli and makes sure everything corrects as it should.
Old 09-19-2016, 06:32 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just to confirm with you that 7.7 elevator pitch is ok for the BD 3SX to fly?

I told the same thing about no load vs load to CC tech support. But in fixed endpoints mode datalog showed 0 to 100% power output wo anything connected to the motor? I still believe in gov mode wo any load on the motor it would show the same 26% power output but let's wait on what CC tech support has to say today.
Old 09-19-2016, 06:42 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes she will fly and very nice you'll love the unit. Every feature the unit offers is very reliable form the rescue to the self level for thoughtless lazy flight. With fixed endpoints it's not trying to keep it at a certain speed so it will just go up to 100 where as gov will never actually achieve 100 due to head room unless you're banging the crap out of the heli in you highest gov iu mode. So not turning anything you esc only needs a fraction to maintain its speed. Hook up the gears with no blade on main or tail and do it again. The throttle out should go up a bit more then with blades, friction and pitch it will go up even more.
Old 09-19-2016, 06:43 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

It'll be my very first FBL setup done myself so it's a bit nervous at its maiden flight. That's why I just want to make sure twice everything is set up correctly. I flew nitro helis many years ago but still almost feel like a newbie to this hobby, the rather complicated electric setup with different swashplate config. But I guess flying the much bigger FBL one is not much different than the mini 3 bladed 4F200LM with its own default settings.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in