Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > mCP X

mCP X Blade Micro CPx Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2012, 10:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Who Likes Using Expo?

I've been practicing nose in hovering and noticed yesterday that expo was causing me to jab the rudder stick. I decided to turn off all expo in normal and stunt mode to experiment and found that for me a touchy heli is better. People seem to put a lot of emphasis on expo, so now I am curious. The thing is everytime I realize something like this, I end up stepping back in my progress to get used to the change. I know it's part of the learning process.

Who likes using expo and how does it benefit you?
alex7703 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2012, 10:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

With FBL helis you don't use expo at all as the FBL unit does the expoing for you.

On a fb heli it is common to use some expo on cyclic. When it comes to rudder I think it is more common to set the expo to zero. This is however not a rule, it is a question about what you are comfortable with.

Play around and experience for your self how your heli responds to different setups. Only then you can figure out what is best for you
kristianwest is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2012, 10:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristianwest View Post
With FBL helis you don't use expo at all as the FBL unit does the expoing for you.

On a fb heli it is common to use some expo on cyclic. When it comes to rudder I think it is more common to set the expo to zero. This is however not a rule, it is a question about what you are comfortable with.

Play around and experience for your self how your heli responds to different setups. Only then you can figure out what is best for you
Yeah, I'm really getting that point. I've been flying the manual set up for my DX8. I just took expo off everything and was loving the response yesterday. Just sucked because I had my whole practice plan plan laid out for yesterday and had to step back to get used to the change. I understand the need for it in the beginning, but right now I'm wishing that I hadn't been using it.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

You learn by everything It is not waist of time getting the feel of how different setups and configs influence your heli and flying style. Just don't get too hung up in your practice plan
kristianwest is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2012, 12:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex7703 View Post
Who likes using expo and how does it benefit you?
When I got my mcpx it had been about 3 years since I had flown a heli. I used 40% expo on the Aile and Elev to start out to tame down the heli. I haven't touched the Rud expo. When I got used to the heli roughly a week of hovering and FF I started reducing the amount of expo. Now I'm flying with 10% expo.

I'm sure everyone is different in the way they approach setup, but this is what worked for me.
bmitchell138 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2012, 12:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmitchell138 View Post
When I got my mcpx it had been about 3 years since I had flown a heli. I used 40% expo on the Aile and Elev to start out to tame down the heli. I haven't touched the Rud expo. When I got used to the heli roughly a week of hovering and FF I started reducing the amount of expo. Now I'm flying with 10% expo.

I'm sure everyone is different in the way they approach setup, but this is what worked for me.
After yesterday I just don't see a point in using expo unless you are trying to fly in a small indoor area. I can see how it is a preference thing. Just wondering what those that use it get out of it. What does it help them accomplish? To me the heli feels more alive without it.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I love every last bit of response from user control whether it be steering response and throttle response on my race cars or cyclic response on my helis, but I like expo on my brushless birds. They dart away so fast I like to fly them with a little expo.
DoubleCH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2012, 01:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Zero expo here too. At first when I got the MCPX I was using about 35% expo indoors and like 15% out. Then I tried it with 0 expo and never looked back.
CousinLarry is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2012, 01:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleCH View Post
I love every last bit of response from user control whether it be steering response and throttle response on my race cars or cyclic response on my helis, but I like expo on my brushless birds. They dart away so fast I like to fly them with a little expo.
Thanks for the heads up. I have all the parts for a BL setup. I'm just trying to decide my battery setup before I actually do the mod. Going HPO5S for my first one. Definately keeping that aspect in mind. Makes sense.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by CousinLarry View Post
Zero expo here too. At first when I got the MCPX I was using about 35% expo indoors and like 15% out. Then I tried it with 0 expo and never looked back.
I won't be looking back either. Way more fun I think.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:17 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

On my brushed and lower power BL motors I did not like expo at all. On my current 915 I feel like 10% on Ail and Ele make it more controllable with over 7000 Rpm.

To me it's more for precision landing and tight quarters flying. Any sort of 3D and larger space flying I feel Expo hinders performance and actually makes it tougher to fly as you need more stick movement.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default hey

For me as I've increased dual rates I also increased EXPO . Find what you like and dont worry about what everyone else is doing.
d12bn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2012, 02:07 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

High dual rate for tic-toc (attempt anyway) and some expo for precise landing in one flight same setting.

DoubleCH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2012, 02:28 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default My 2 cents

I prefer a heli that responds crisply and don't like much expo at all.
If anything on my MCPX I like my rudder -5 or -10 otherwise the tail is not quick enough.
Imzzaudae is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2012, 02:37 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I use as less expo as possible too. Between 0 and 15 max. On the mcpx i have 0 on cyclic and even -30 on rudder. I don't like a soft response, less expo makes for a more precise hover aswell.
As far as not using expo on fbl heli's, it's more convenient if you disable all expo on the fbl unit so you can adjust expo on the fly in your tx
Old 03-09-2012, 03:39 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I always flew my Blade 400 with 0-5% expo, but I started using more since getting back into flying with the mcpx and my foamies. Maybe just because I'm still spooked by flying indoors...we'll see what happens once the weather breaks.
deca is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2012, 03:45 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

I use rudder -30% aileron and elevator -10%.

Makes it much more sensitive. I feel more connected to it without any lag.

Bill
poulsbobill is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2012, 05:02 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default FBL Has Built in Expo - Not

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristianwest View Post

Maybe yo were trying to make another point (trim?), but FBL does not have built in expo. FBL stablilizes the heli, expo adjusts how sensitive your sticks are around mid-point.
CalRotor is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2012, 04:04 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by d12bn View Post
For me as I've increased dual rates I also increased EXPO . Find what you like and dont worry about what everyone else is doing.
Not worried about what everyone else is doing. I'm starting conversation and getting input.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:28 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Just keep in mind for all you folks with Spektrum or JR Tx, to add expo to a control, you must enter a positive number, not a negative number, to properly feel the effects of expo with your cyclic or rudder...Futaba Tx use a negative number, if I am correct...
Assistant to the assistant manure spreader at Middle Creek Stables, LLC
VonRecktofen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in