Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > SAB Goblin 500/570

SAB Goblin 500/570 SAB Heli Division - Goblin 500/570 Helicopters

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2013, 01:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Flying difference between a Goblin 500 and a Trex 550

Do you think there is any difference or much difference between the 2 based on blade size? Being that a Goblin 500 has 500mm blades and a Trex 550 has 520mm blades?

I hear that the Goblin 500 flies like a 600 and have heard the same for a Trex 550

What do you think? Also, using a 5000ma 6s battery on both would that make any difference in the way they both fly?
Darrell262 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2013, 01:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Weight, Weight, Weight... The 550E is a tank with bad disc loading, I had one and it flew HEAVY. Sold it and bought a GAUI X5 as its almost 2lbs lighter (taking a half pound off is big, almost 2 lbs is huge) with the same size disc/blades, Just got the Goblin 500 to add to my fleet (Also got my wife a G500 as well, Really like this little machine), and its very light as well. Fly's hands down better then my 550E ever did, or could due the the weight. I compare the Goblin 500 with the X5 in terms of performance and all out feel. The goblin is by far easier to see than both the 550E an X5 though, That would be a huge factor for anyone that has trouble with orientation.

FYI, The Goblin 500 is also being tested by a few guys with 515 and 523mm blades. No issues as of yet. It comes standard with 500mm blades.
akamullen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2013, 01:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah, I have both (G500 and Trex 550) and I can assure you that the G500 is way more versatile/agile. Both have vbar with similar settings by the way. And the G500 is really fast. I think I may sell a trex 550 in the near future..
Dutchdontdance is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2013, 01:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Stability wise (fly big style) how do they compare? I am still up in the air about buying a Goblin 700 a bit as well as I like the idea of a nice stable heli that doesn't get blown around by wind very easy. I get paid tomorrow and I have to decide what I want to order.

How big does the Goblin 500 fly I.E. like a 600, 550 etc. smooth flight style. possible low head speed.

Also, how well would the Goblin fair with a 4500 or 5000ma 6a pulse battery, with a 2s say 1200ma or so rx battery pack work out

I am planning on Sk720 with the gps as well do you think that is pushing it for weight and size (trying to mount the gps)
I hate external bec's and don't really trust internal bec's built into esc's and I dont trust castle as far as I can throw them. (Traxxas Revo brushless esc is castle, i have had a few castle bec's all die as well)
Old 03-07-2013, 02:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Larger disc, more stable in relative terms. Go with biggest you can afford. remember once you go to a 12S machine, chargers, generators, 2X batteries, etc.., things get expensive. Also no matter what machine you buy, they can all be toned down or set up for what ever style you prefer. the goblin can be set up tame or crazy, depending on what you like.

Depending on your preference, 5000 packs are fine in the G500, I went with Pulse Ultra 45C 4100's to shave off weight as I prefer a lighter machine. but I have also flown it with 5000 pulse 65C packs as well, flew fine, I just like it lighter.

As far as FBL with 3D capabilities and also GPS auto leveling, My wife and I are currently building her machine using a NAZA (H) with GPS. She likes her Gaui 500X quad with the Naza/Gps, so we figured we would try it on the G500 as well.

I run castle on everything I own, and never had an issue after crashing/beating on my stuff.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Either the G500 or the T550 are best out of the helis you listed but you have to choose which you prefer. Doesn't matter which you choose they are both awesome helis to fly. As long as you drive a Ford because they are much better than Chevy..
Old 03-07-2013, 02:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am a ford guy actually but I bought a 1998 dodge truck, first and last dodge.

I prefer crappy old trucks and newer toys like sleds and dirt bikes and rc's so many hobbies so little money to support all of em.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Ok in that case I will pm you a name of someone with hands on experience of both.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by akamullen View Post
Weight, Weight, Weight... The 550E is a tank with bad disc loading, I had one and it flew HEAVY. Sold it and bought a GAUI X5 as its almost 2lbs lighter (taking a half pound off is big, almost 2 lbs is huge) with the same size disc/blades, Just got the Goblin 500 to add to my fleet (Also got my wife a G500 as well, Really like this little machine), and its very light as well. Fly's hands down better then my 550E ever did, or could due the the weight. I compare the Goblin 500 with the X5 in terms of performance and all out feel. The goblin is by far easier to see than both the 550E an X5 though, That would be a huge factor for anyone that has trouble with orientation.

FYI, The Goblin 500 is also being tested by a few guys with 515 and 523mm blades. No issues as of yet. It comes standard with 500mm blades.
X5 is 1820g
Goblin 500 is 1900
Align 550E is 1800.

It will all vary based on what electronics and batteries you use...but 2lbs?

2lbs, no matter how you cut it, is a huge exaggeration. I could accept things being a little heaver/lighter and don't really have a dog in the hunt either way....but 2lbs is just misinformation.
heliadict1212 likes this.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Its interesting that the Goblin is actually heavier. Thats with everything minus electronics and batteries ??
Old 03-07-2013, 04:46 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rototerrier View Post
X5 is 1820g
Goblin 500 is 1900
Align 550E is 1800.

It will all vary based on what electronics and batteries you use...but 2lbs?

2lbs, no matter how you cut it, is a huge exaggeration. I could accept things being a little heaver/lighter and don't really have a dog in the hunt either way....but 2lbs is just misinformation.
My 550E was much heavier than that. Not sure where you got those numbers for the 550E, but I weighed my 550E and my X5. it was around 1 1/2lbs, It was over a year ago, so I do not remember the exact number. I own the X5, Goblin 500, and sold my 550E immediately after I built and flew the X5 over a year ago. There was no comparison in performance IMO. I would have happily kept the 550E if it would have performed better then the X5, but from what I could tell by the flights I put on both, this was not the case.

If your looking at manufacturers specs for weight, they are not very close in some cases. I have found for most, the only way to get an accurate weight, is to actually weigh the machine, or ask someone that has one to do so.

But of coarse to each his own, I just personally thought the X5 out performed the 550E in my back to back tests. And now after flying the G500, I like it as much, if not more than my X5. Thats after only a few test flights. I have a feeling I'm really going to like this new machine.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:21 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
But of coarse to each his own, I just personally thought the X5 out performed the 550E in my back to back tests. And now after flying the G500, I like it as much, if not more than my X5. Thats after only a few test flights. I have a feeling I'm really going to like this new machine.
Do you mind throwing up a video showing us the steps you use to determine what flies better on the G500? I noticed you're a Team Pilot for your own company so I am intrigued to see the videos. Do you have any videos of the T550 and X5 flights also? Hopefully the setups are listed on your videos. I do love my 550 and want a Goblin 500 but I can step this up if I can just sell the t550 versus saving up
Old 03-07-2013, 06:02 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Align may be within grasp price wise but SABs helis and their approach to customer satisfaction FAR exceeds Aligns to say least. That and well SAB machines perform better on every level. No I'm not a SAB team pilot or affiliated.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:34 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliSmith View Post
Do you mind throwing up a video showing us the steps you use to determine what flies better on the G500? I noticed you're a Team Pilot for your own company so I am intrigued to see the videos. Do you have any videos of the T550 and X5 flights also? Hopefully the setups are listed on your videos. I do love my 550 and want a Goblin 500 but I can step this up if I can just sell the t550 versus saving up
There might be a video of my 550E somewhere floating around youtube, but it was right when I got it, before I could really do any thing very difficult as far as my flying went, It was almost 3 years ago now I believe from that video. Had the 550E for about a year and a half if memory serves.

I really dont do a lot of video, I have however came to the conclusion of what packs, ESC, and FBL system I will be running in the G500. I am using the DS515m servos(until a new one comes out that I'm waiting on. should be out within 4-8 weeks.), with a 9188 on the tail, tested the DS655 on the tail and was not very impressed. We are still around 20 degrees here for a high in the day, so it will be a couple weeks before I can get to a open field and really ring it out. I do have a video of me flying the 3rd flight ever on the G500 (trying dif settings in the ikon, trying to get it half way set up as best i can with little space and obstacles, this flight I testing tail settings mostly, looking for kick, bounce, pre-comp, gain, etc..) in my front yard with Pulse ultra 5000mah packs (My 4100's were not in yet.) I told my buddy to not video this, but he did anyways.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4tXMyGELuI[/ame]

I'm not saying everybody will think the X5 or the Goblin 500 fly's better, Just saying my personal preference was for the X5, and now the Goblin 500 over the 550E. Everyone is different, And I am totally not saying that I thought the 550E was terrible, just that It felt heavier, and weighed more (on my scales) than the X5. Obviously there is no way to quantify a personal feel or preference, so I was only commenting and giving my personal opinion on the discussion of what people thought between these 500-550 size machines

I do not fly for any one brand manufacturer , nor do I think any one brand has the best everything.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:23 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You probably guessed I wanted to see that you were a great pilot with my own interests so I could think about what you said. You're a great pilot with my own interests, definitely good enough to feel the differences i care about. Thanks for your input even though I'm not the op
Old 03-07-2013, 07:30 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
There might be a video of my 550E somewhere floating around youtube, but it was right when I got it, before I could really do any thing very difficult as far as my flying went, It was almost 3 years ago now I believe from that video. Had the 550E for about a year and a half if memory serves.

I really dont do a lot of video, I have however came to the conclusion of what packs, ESC, and FBL system I will be running in the G500. I am using the DS515m servos(until a new one comes out that I'm waiting on. should be out within 4-8 weeks.), with a 9188 on the tail, tested the DS655 on the tail and was not very impressed. We are still around 20 degrees here for a high in the day, so it will be a couple weeks before I can get to a open field and really ring it out. I do have a video of me flying the 3rd flight ever on the G500 (trying dif settings in the ikon, trying to get it half way set up as best i can with little space and obstacles) in my front yard with Pulse ultra 5000mah packs (My 4100's were not in yet.) I told my buddy to not video this, but he did anyways.
Damn, I hope some day that I have that sort of control and skill to fly any 500 in front of my house like that!
Old 03-07-2013, 07:34 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliSmith View Post
You probably guessed I wanted to see that you were a great pilot with my own interests so I could think about what you said.
It was pretty transparent calling him out like that.

Touché, I say.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:35 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah I don't think I will be that good for a very long time if ever.
I am going to order the Goblin 500 tomorrow if everything works out. That video was great and it looked great in the air.
If check is large enough I'll be ordering Goblin 500 (yellow/black) Outrage 9188 tail servo and Quantum 4120-1200 motor, possibly the HBS 660 servers as well we will see.

Rest will have to wait until I can afford to buy more parts.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:44 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell262 View Post
Yeah I don't think I will be that good for a very long time if ever.
I am going to order the Goblin 500 tomorrow if everything works out. That video was great and it looked great in the air.
If check is large enough I'll be ordering Goblin 500 (yellow/black) Outrage 9188 tail servo and Quantum 4120-1200 motor, possibly the HBS 660 servers as well we will see.

Rest will have to wait until I can afford to buy more parts.
Cant go wrong man..

Also keep in mind the sun was almost down and there was thick cloud cover when I was flying there, but these goblins you can fly until there is barely any light due to there amazing visibility, they are one of the easiest helis to keep orientation with IMO. I defiantly would not have been able to see my X5 as well in that light. My 630 is crazy bright, the chartreuse color on the canopy and boom (love the boom for visual) is great for low light and very cloudy days with flat light. I really love these machines.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:56 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah eh, one of my main complaints on my Trex 500 is its hard to see what orientation it is flying it I lost orientation alot when I was away from my self up semi high (for me) and did not make me feel confident. I even painted the top and bottom tips of the blade florescent orange but it did not help. I am thinking the tail will make it alot easier to see which is part of the reason I am so interested in buying one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in