Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Velos Rotors

Velos Rotors Velos Rotors helicopters technical support forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2016, 10:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Blade strike

Out flying my Velos today almost lost it , had a main blade and tail blade strike in a violent maneuver. Hard to believe that the mains could flex so much but I guess it is a 22 pound machine . Small chip on one main blade but I think still flyable and the tail I'm not sure may need to order a new one only one tail blade is chipped the other two are still good .
Morrchew is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2016, 06:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Glad that ended well for you Morrchew.
This is the three bladed tail rotor I assume?
What was you rotor RPM being flown at the time?
It is very surprising a main blade could reach the tail blades in flight. I was always worried about a boom strike, but that would be hard to do as well.
If it was me...
Sitting static on the ground, the main blades don't have the reach necessary to contact the tail blades even if the main blades are flexed downward do they?
Carbon fiber doesn't stretch but can flex.

I would check the tightness of all four main frame screws for the transmission deck. I have found two separate screws backed out over time with my model and yes there was thread lock used, so could loose main fuselage screws allow the transmission deck to rock back and aft with high rotor loading in flight and cause main and tail blade contact?

I chipped a tail blade in a auto rotation landing long ago and had to remove 1/8" off the tip to eliminate the chip.
Off course I shortened the other two as well to keep in balance.
Blades can't contact now.
My rule in doing so was during the shortening process, if I ended up removing the solid tip of the tail blade and could detect core material, I would scrap the blade.
I removed 1/8" from all three blades without getting into the blade core material.
I also monitored them for a while to insure they didn't spit out any tip material after flight...after 150 flights they remain perfect and sound.
Not saying this would be the best process for saving your blades but mine fly and look perfect...just a tiny bit shorter.
Old 09-10-2016, 08:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks Viking for the advise and yes it's a three blade tail and head speeds of 1976 rpm as per castle log , could I use one of the tail blades from my 2 blade set up .
Morrchew is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2016, 08:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

They are the same tail blade between the two and three bladed setup so yes you can use one of your other blades.
Just make sure you stay balanced.
My three bladed tail is comprised of my two original tail blades and one new tail blade to make the set of three, this was a prototype setup before the production units were released.
I had to balance the set but it has flown smoothly since.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in