Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > HobbyWing ESC's

HobbyWing ESC's HobbyWing ESC Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2016, 02:16 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
In other words - Align branded ESC are "dead" to me now. It's an impossible situation for me to not get the most up to date firmware.
With the ESC in the model and setup you do your maiden and a few shake down flights. You find that the model flies just how you like it. Everything about it ticks all the boxes.

Then you discover this thread and now the ESC is no good.

What if there is never a new update to the firmware?

The ones I have seen flying look okay. What needs changing?

I guess if you want full functionality then you will have to pay for HW.
Andy from Sandy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2016, 05:41 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't think align will bring out the pc software, as they have now been out a couple of month. I have asked them on facebook and all I got was watch this space, we're all still waiting.

I don't know why they just did not just use the hobbywing esc instead of rebranding it, just like they done with castle creations
mr magoo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2016, 09:34 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr magoo View Post
I don't think align will bring out the pc software, as they have now been out a couple of month. I have asked them on facebook and all I got was watch this space, we're all still waiting.

I don't know why they just did not just use the hobbywing esc instead of rebranding it, just like they done with castle creations
Most likely price, the align is cheaper retail then the HW is to resellers.
rfauske is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2017, 09:04 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm looking into to see if I can get any clarification on this. Just updated my early version 130A to the newest firmware. My device type did not have the additional letters on the end. I will update here when I receive anymore information.
nynextel88 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2017, 02:47 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynextel88 View Post
I'm looking into to see if I can get any clarification on this. Just updated my early version 130A to the newest firmware. My device type did not have the additional letters on the end. I will update here when I receive anymore information.
Thanks!
Old 01-02-2017, 08:13 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've been following this thread closely, and am really puzzled by what is going on with the ALIGN/Hobbywing 130A ESCs. Earlier today I simply called Align USA to get it straight from the horses mouth. After talking to the Align rep, it is my understanding that Hobbywing sells a slightly different version of the 130A ESC to ALIGN. One of the physical differences are the gauges of the wires - the ALIGN version has slight larger ones. There is also a firmware difference. The Hobbywing has firmware for a better auto-bailout turning/result. From what I was told, it seems that Align will be the responsible party for any any firmware upgrades for the Align version 130A ESC. That is, Hobbywing won't be allowing Align ESC owners to obtain the firmware written specially for the Hobbywing version of the 130A. It will be up to Align to either write their own firmware upgrades for the Align version of the 130A ESC, or Align will have to buy/obtain it directly from Hobbywing and then make it available for owners of the Align 130 ESC.
This is disappointing for those that have the newer Align 130A ESC with the 'YT' on the end of the device type name. Currently, the main test pilots for Align (Alan, Jamie, Ben, and Colin) are testing the 130A ESC and reporting changes that need to be made to Align in Taiwan. My guess (and total speculation on my part) is that if enough noise is made by the Align team test pilots, Align will purchase the needed firmware from Hobbywing and make it available to owners of the Align version of the 130A ESC for upgrading.
Hope this helps to clear the water. If anyone else hears anything, please post it.
Old 01-03-2017, 07:08 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

^This all makes perfect sense. I'm not holding my breath on Align making updates available anytime soon. Maybe another possibility is some bright spark could figure a way that the device type name in the ESC could be changed to remove the 'YT'?
Old 01-03-2017, 10:51 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeezix View Post
I've been following this thread closely, and am really puzzled by what is going on with the ALIGN/Hobbywing 130A ESCs. Earlier today I simply called Align USA to get it straight from the horses mouth. After talking to the Align rep, it is my understanding that Hobbywing sells a slightly different version of the 130A ESC to ALIGN. One of the physical differences are the gauges of the wires - the ALIGN version has slight larger ones. There is also a firmware difference. The Hobbywing has firmware for a better auto-bailout turning/result. From what I was told, it seems that Align will be the responsible party for any any firmware upgrades for the Align version 130A ESC. That is, Hobbywing won't be allowing Align ESC owners to obtain the firmware written specially for the Hobbywing version of the 130A. It will be up to Align to either write their own firmware upgrades for the Align version of the 130A ESC, or Align will have to buy/obtain it directly from Hobbywing and then make it available for owners of the Align 130 ESC.
This is disappointing for those that have the newer Align 130A ESC with the 'YT' on the end of the device type name. Currently, the main test pilots for Align (Alan, Jamie, Ben, and Colin) are testing the 130A ESC and reporting changes that need to be made to Align in Taiwan. My guess (and total speculation on my part) is that if enough noise is made by the Align team test pilots, Align will purchase the needed firmware from Hobbywing and make it available to owners of the Align version of the 130A ESC for upgrading.
Hope this helps to clear the water. If anyone else hears anything, please post it.
If this is the case it's a complete deal killer for the Align variant. Constant bug fixes, features all developed by THE DESIGNERS of the esc and firmware.

It's impossible for Align to pick up all the work and intellectual property and support the esc. This is only done by the developers.

So translated the intent is for the Align version to be completely unsupported.

Hope this is just bad third hand information, but it makes sense in the context of hobbywing protecting sales.
OnTheSnap is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2017, 11:13 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

That's correct, realistically there is no way could Align write their own firmware for a Hobbywing product. The bit in the quote about 'obtaining firmware updates from Hobbywing' is how it would have to work in practice. Fingers crossed whatever deal Align struck with hobbyking does include software and firmware updates.
Old 01-03-2017, 12:35 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hopefully we have it all wrong and this is not the case. But already there are important firmware updates you can't get that are needed for soon to be released features.
Old 01-03-2017, 02:24 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy_Old_Man View Post
That's correct, realistically there is no way could Align write their own firmware for a Hobbywing product. The bit in the quote about 'obtaining firmware updates from Hobbywing' is how it would have to work in practice. Fingers crossed whatever deal Align struck with hobbyking does include software and firmware updates.

I took what the rep said about obtaining the HW firmware updates to be the course of action, however that wasn't confirmed. It's the only logical answer for the situation ALIGN is in with their re-branded HW ESC.

It seems like a bit of backward thinking to include an ESC in your kits that are unsupported with future updates.

Agree with Alex, as it's doubtful ALIGN has all the resources to write firmware and support the ESC from their own perspective.

I find it puzzling that Align included a CASTLE branded ESC in many kits, but chose to take a HW ESC and stamp ALIGN on it for the current kits? Not relevant now, but curious none the less.
Old 01-03-2017, 03:38 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeezix View Post
I took what the rep said about obtaining the HW firmware updates to be the course of action, however that wasn't confirmed. It's the only logical answer for the situation ALIGN is in with their re-branded HW ESC.

It seems like a bit of backward thinking to include an ESC in your kits that are unsupported with future updates.

Agree with Alex, as it's doubtful ALIGN has all the resources to write firmware and support the ESC from their own perspective.

I find it puzzling that Align included a CASTLE branded ESC in many kits, but chose to take a HW ESC and stamp ALIGN on it for the current kits? Not relevant now, but curious none the less.
The preference for manufacturers is always to "rebrand" if they are allowed to. Why they do it is pretty simple:

1) Fully contains the marketing. Every dollar spent on marketing, goes back into your own company. Not someone elses. Yes HW gets paid either way. But if you buy an Align ESC, Align gets $$. If you buy a HW, Align gets $0.

2) Fully contain the support. This can be good or bad for the customer. But tech support, product returns are all handled split off from the origin mfg (except the "free help" in forums usually may try to help anyone). In most cases the consumer suffers some here. But it's the "price" for a company to have their own branded product. Fundamentally a support hand off.

3) Volume cost leverage. Buying a lot of the re-branded thing in bulk they get big volume discounts. So Align may negotiate a 1000 piece MOQ (minimum order quantity) to realize a bigger per unit discount. Probably hard for HW to say no to the offer.

In this case, item 2 above "Support" is now including firmware support. Which would really suck for the consumer since these days firmware rapidly changes. Recently, changes were made for all HW ESC to support telemetry. So then a consumer has to wonder if and when it ever makes it to their Align branded ESC. Now there are too many things in the way to know the future of how the support will work.

Anyway - after hearing the speculation in this thread, I would never buy the re-branded ESC. The direct firmware support is far too critical to me.

If you dig deep enough - Castle was going down the same path with Align. At some point the Talon ESC's split from direct firmware support. It was a mess. I don't know what happened, but it seems they backed out of it.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:11 AM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Align has released their ASBOX software, anyone tried it to see if firmware can be updated on newer Align escs that would not update using HW software?

http://www.align.com.tw/download-en/asbox/

I downloaded the software, and while it recognizes my HW program box as an ASBOX v1.0 it doesn't allow a firmware update. Which is fine, I don't want align firmware in it.

I don't have any newer version Align esc to try and I'm certainly not hooking up my Align 130 that is already flashed with 4.0.04 HW firmware.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	asbox software.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	695178  
Old 02-20-2017, 12:23 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by flint723 View Post
Align has released their ASBOX software, anyone tried it to see if firmware can be updated on newer Align escs that would not update using HW software?

http://www.align.com.tw/download-en/asbox/

I downloaded the software, and while it recognizes my HW program box as an ASBOX v1.0 it doesn't allow a firmware update. Which is fine, I don't want align firmware in it.

I don't have any newer version Align esc to try and I'm certainly not hooking up my Align 130 that is already flashed with 4.0.04 HW firmware.
I saw align came out with their own box. but im with you, and not going to risk my firmware either. guess we both lucked out with the earlier version that's upgradeable.
Old 02-27-2017, 01:12 AM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Any new info?
HW doesnt in stock everywhere i buy rc stuff. But align yes.
Need new esc ASAP
Maeg is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2017, 08:31 AM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maeg View Post
Any new info?
HW doesnt in stock everywhere i buy rc stuff. But align yes.
Need new esc ASAP
https://www.rc-batteri.no/elektronik...-tilbehor.html

https://www.rubinrc.se/412-HobbyWing
Old 08-21-2017, 01:39 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hello,
Any news ? I have a proposition to buy an -YT version but will not if there is no possibility to upgrade...
Thanks
PJing is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2017, 02:12 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJing View Post
Hello,
Any news ? I have a proposition to buy an -YT version but will not if there is no possibility to upgrade...
Thanks
Yeah don't unless you just want a basic esc, I guess they will be stuck on an old version of firmware forever. Buy real HW or better yet Tribunus.

IMO the HW or Align doesn't work that well on external gov in any mode. So only buy it if you want to use esc gov. By not work well I mean it just overall seems weak, head speed bogs easily, pulls less amps.
Old 08-21-2017, 02:56 PM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Flint723 for your answer.
Yes, I think now the Tribunus is the way to go...
PJing is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2017, 03:06 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by flint723 View Post
Yeah don't unless you just want a basic esc, I guess they will be stuck on an old version of firmware forever. Buy real HW or better yet Tribunus.

IMO the HW or Align doesn't work that well on external gov in any mode. So only buy it if you want to use esc gov. By not work well I mean it just overall seems weak, head speed bogs easily, pulls less amps.
Why use any external gov though? The HW gov is pretty much as good as it gets.
Lack of other features like telemetry is more of an issue though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in