Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 600 Class Nitro Helicopters

600 Class Nitro Helicopters 600 Class Nitro Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2015, 06:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Governor with dx6 radio

Is there s way to use a governor with a dx6 radio.if so which one and how to set it up.thanks
xxxntwv is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2015, 05:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Which FBL unit are you using ?

The DX6 can be used for governors, built into FBL units, or an external one like the Align RCE-G600 and the RPM sensor.

The DX6 sends throttle signals only. It does not provide a governor function. A governor needs to read the engine or head RPM and then control the throttle servo. You'll use flat curves, above the gov engagement point to the required headspeed.

Search for "governor" in this and the 700 Nitro forums.
Dawiev is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2015, 09:10 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Almost all of the newer Flybarless Gyros contain an internal Gov. system. I use Spartan with a DX6 and performance with the Gov. is flawless.
Bavarian Demon Flight Team #HIGHONHELIS
DUCDOC is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2015, 05:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I'm still flying a flybar but this winter I will be converting to flybarless
Old 11-05-2015, 05:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I flew for five years without a governor from 1990 to 1995. (We simply did not have them back then.) You don't need one for sport flying which I presume is your status. Just set a throttle curve that gives you a nice high head speed in your idle-up flight mode.

You should be thinking about upgrading the transmitter anyway unless it has a welded battery pack...not individual cells. You are flying a 600 and it can do a lot of damage if your TX loses power.

If you are going to go flybarless, you will want to upgrade the transmitter no matter what. You can buy a great DX-8 used now for small dollars. Because if you want a governor, you are going to have to be able to adjust it. A seven channel or more transmitter will enable you to control; throttle, tail pitch, aileron, elevator, collective pitch, governor gain, and tail gyro gain. Use the DX6 on your simulator and small planes and helis you keep in the car for a flying "emergency".
meowguy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2015, 05:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My dx6 does have a lithium pack.looking to possibly get a dx7 this winter.got the throttle curves set pretty good.seem to be getting the job done anyway lol.
Old 11-06-2015, 02:16 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi, I believe you should use "V curves", if you're not using a gov. Perhaps worth it to do a searches for this across the forums.

Something along the lines of 70, 70, 60 , 70 , 70. Or perhaps 70, 65, 60, 65, 70. This should help to combat overspeeding at light loads / mid-stick.

Never done this myself, but I recall reading it at some point.
Dawiev is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2015, 02:40 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Throttle Jockey governor has an option to use it without a radio channel.
If I remember correctly you can dial in the headspeed with a pot on the unit.
sdunne is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2015, 07:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Where can you purchase throttle jockey products?
Old 11-06-2015, 07:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawiev View Post
Hi, I believe you should use "V curves", if you're not using a gov. Perhaps worth it to do a searches for this across the forums.

Something along the lines of 70, 70, 60 , 70 , 70. Or perhaps 70, 65, 60, 65, 70. This should help to combat overspeeding at light loads / mid-stick.

Never done this myself, but I recall reading it at some point.
In idle up 1 my curves are 100-85-50-85-100 and don't notice any over speeding.of course my engine isn't exactly over powered either.lol.
Old 11-07-2015, 06:35 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you are running without a governor, the other thing you can do is something I got either from Ray Hostetler's Shop and Field Companion or his DVD series (I can't recall which). You setup your throttle so it tops out at about 85% of throttle travel at full stick. Then you setup an Aileron to Throttle mix such that at full deflection of aileron you mix in the remaining 15% of throttle to the full open position. If you have any mixes left you can do the same for elevator. This will of course, increase your throttle when you are pulling the most pitch when making turns at speed.

Old school. They call it that for a reason, but it got us to the moon.
Old 11-07-2015, 10:56 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah i have aileron and elevator mixes setup also.other than bogging from lack of hp i dont notice much headspeed change only at full pitch.which I only have +and - 11deg of pitch setup.
Old 11-08-2015, 05:24 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

BTW, the DX-8 is far superior to the DX-7. Now selling for about $175 on eBay, and Run Ryer.
Old 11-08-2015, 05:39 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you have an electric heli, Castle ESCs can be set up in governor mode. They do not need a separate channel as the governed RPMs are preset and activated by the throttle curve value. Will work perfectly with your current 6 channel radio.

Regards

Acrow
acrow is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2015, 05:49 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thinking about this I see no reason you could not use a Y lead to both the throttle servo and the governor. Then set idle up throttle curve flat to suit the desired governed head speed.

Should work with any governor provided your throttle channel is not reversed.

What I mean is the same signal feeding both inputs throttle level & governor on/off.
At a low throttle setting the governor will be off and at a high setting it will be on.

Last edited by sdunne; 11-08-2015 at 11:14 AM..
sdunne is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2015, 10:54 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrow View Post
If you have an electric heli, Castle ESCs can be set up in governor mode. They do not need a separate channel as the governed RPMs are preset and activated by the throttle curve value. Will work perfectly with your current 6 channel radio.

Regards

Acrow
I know how electric heli governors work.but thanks for the info
Old 11-09-2015, 09:06 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowguy View Post
I flew for five years without a governor from 1990 to 1995. (We simply did not have them back then.) You don't need one for sport flying which I presume is your status. Just set a throttle curve that gives you a nice high head speed in your idle-up flight mode.

You should be thinking about upgrading the transmitter anyway unless it has a welded battery pack...not individual cells. You are flying a 600 and it can do a lot of damage if your TX loses power.

If you are going to go flybarless, you will want to upgrade the transmitter no matter what. You can buy a great DX-8 used now for small dollars. Because if you want a governor, you are going to have to be able to adjust it. A seven channel or more transmitter will enable you to control; throttle, tail pitch, aileron, elevator, collective pitch, governor gain, and tail gyro gain. Use the DX6 on your simulator and small planes and helis you keep in the car for a flying "emergency".
Your DX6 is more than capable to fly with a governor as well as can be converted to LiPo like mine. $30 battery and it runs for days not hours.
Bavarian Demon Flight Team #HIGHONHELIS
DUCDOC is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in