Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 550 Class Electric Helicopters

550 Class Electric Helicopters 550 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2015, 02:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 550E/550L/Tarot 550

Hi Forum,

OK, this may sound like a stupid question but bear with me...

The only option we seem to have these days with Align, is the 550L Dominator.

I would have liked the 550e for my first "big" heli. I already have 450's... both the dominator and the HK450GT's - flybarless and flybarred and to be honest, I like either. The 450L perhaps I'm a little wary of cos I've planted proper once already and the repair bill was £185!

My plan was to get the HK550 TT either as FBL or FB as my first, cheap, bigger heli because I'm still learning... and slowly being 45 lol. I can fly circuits and figure eights OK, the occasional loop... but either way, I enjoy both heli's. It's not ALL about 3D y'know. I don't want 600 size, purely because of 2 packs per flight. The 550 is as big as I can go on a single 6s pack, right? Some people say the 450L umbrella gears are like butter, but tbh, I've never had a problem with mine generally (until I backed it into the ground from 100ft), and the HK550 comments mention umbrella gears too.

I know there's the whole thing about cost, and replacement of Tarot bits for Align... I totally get that, and the quality too - the 450L is miles above the HK450 when it comes to quality of components and machining. Is the 550L stretched? Will it go in a scale fuz if I ever wanted to do so? I can't get an off the shelf scale fuz for my 450L. Is the HK550TT an option in the scale fuz world? Do they even do fuz's for a 550??!! I can build, and repair, and I know when things are fitted right.

My head is full of 550 mush! I want a winter project... something I can fly next year, that's liable to be reasonably cheap to repair. I don't want super cheap buttery bits, but equally, I can't afford to go Goblin. Plenty of time to decide, but I'd just like a few more thoughts to chuck in the mash.

Help me out people!

Ta
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2015, 04:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Do you mean the only 550 option from align? They have a whole range of great helis right now.

I'm unfamiliar with scale fuselages but the 550L has the speed fuselage available for it, which is really nice.

I've had a 550 DFC v2 (520 blades, 550 boom) and now have a 550 dfc pro (550 blades, 600 boom). Both, though not current models, are great and you can find them for affordable prices. I have a 700L and the 550 is still my favorite go to heli because of the one battery thing. They don't fly that different, well..the 700 has a lot more power but that's not really necessary for me right now.

If you're looking for a quality 550 without breaking bank, look at the older 550 dfc models, otherwise the 550L is a great choice, or a gaui x5 if you feel like spending a little more.
Old 08-28-2015, 01:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hi TheStructured,

Yep, sorry... the only 550 option from Align.

I'd looked at the ad's for the 550 DFC and it looks a nice heli, but getting one might be an issue now... everywhere seems to be out of them, or perhaps will be next month for sure. I'll have a look at the Gaui - many thanks

I've seen the speed fuz's for the 450, and they do look nice, but I'd like to wrap it in something that really looks like a heli. What sort of job is it to stretch and shrink a heli? I'm guessing CoG has to be considered at the very least! Does it make a massive difference in feel? longer boom having way more authority? Shorter boom meaning more tail rotor pitch to hold it locked?

Sorry if these are dumb questions... I'm still a noob when it comes to these things.

It's all about enjoying the hobby though, and I'm certainly doing that currently
Old 08-29-2015, 07:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

There are plenty of peoples that start a build on an align 550ish - and then never get the balls to go fly it....

Find one of those - they're listed on forums all the time....

I've bought two them - BNF's

The ver 2 with the conventional head get sold dirt cheap....little harder to find than the dfc one....but would be cheaper to crash.....and the dfc one (ver3) is lighter and more nimble than the current L offering.....

Usually around $500.....and dont think parts will be problem for these any time soon...

Or you can accelerate the process by placing a WTB add....

-

Last edited by SumOFparts; 09-07-2015 at 07:14 PM..
SumOFparts is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2015, 11:19 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I agree with Sum. You can find 550 dfc v2 for cheap quite commonly. I own the 550L and it is a very robust heli. It handles crashes very well. That being said, it is not as customizable as the 550dfc with regards to motor options.
reich2004 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2015, 06:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cheers all,

Will keep my eyes peeled
Old 09-13-2015, 03:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumOFparts View Post
There are plenty of peoples that start a build on an align 550ish - and then never get the balls to go fly it.....

-
Ball shrinkage happens.
-- Seneca, philosopher
ShuttleZX is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2015, 06:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShuttleZX View Post
Ball shrinkage happens.

In all seriousness... they don't know what they're missing. These helis fly so amazingly well... I can't imagine not having mine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in