Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics > 2.4G Spektrum Radios

2.4G Spektrum Radios Spektrum 2.4 Gigahertz Radios and Technology

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2011, 04:23 AM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by heuerfan View Post
Wow never knew this existed, thank you for the tutorial! I am going to order my kit now.

What does everyone think is the most difficult part of this mod?

Thanks,
Steven
Hi heuerfan,

On my Tx the white connectors were quite difficult to remove. Yours may be OK, but mine felt like they were glued in!
I also had to snip some of the pins off the back of the circuit board to allow the backlight to sit down nicely. Not difficult but worth looking out for.

As long as you're careful it's fairly straight forward.

Have fun!
Xizor is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2011, 09:44 AM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

Guys, can this be done? Found this on hobbyking's forum and someone suggesting just to cut th wires and solder directly to power.

profilefan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2011, 10:17 AM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

I did this install yesterday on my FlySky TH9X. Took 10 minutes. Looks awesome.

All of my connectors were smooth too.
Blackhawk Crew is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2011, 09:38 AM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hi all!

Sorry of I haven't popped into here to check things out! Firstly....I'm subscribed but never got any notice of post...sheesh
Also...I've moved onto Scratchbuilt Foamies and hardly fly Heli's. But do pop in every once in awhile when I can. Busy December for me all over and hardly took to the skies either way.

So lemme try to answer some of the questions posted.
Firstly...thanks to all the kind words put in towards the tutorial! Appreciated and more happy to have helped in getting the Darn DX6i lighted up!! Glad it worked out for all of you and that the tutorial was clear enough to follow. As mentioned, it was built from the same one posted on the HK forum. But at that time the one there wasn't clear enough and never updated. Hence after decoding it all out I posted a detailed one here for all as there were requests and interest!

@heuerfan
Soldering to the power directly shouldn't be a prob as even on the tutorial, it still goes to a power source directly. Since the light panel already has the required capacitor installed, grabbing power directly from the battery compartment is possible. Adding the switch is a nice touch as you only need to turn it on during those dark/bright days!
And as SAR has mentioned...the difficult bit would be aligning the panel to the board. Your working backwards with no markings or runners to line things up. I used the siimple paper with markings to align method so i can move the board, carry it with me to the bathroom** and come back and use the markings on the paper as a guide. In fact,,,thats the area I spent the longest time on!

And YES! Those darn white connectors are a hassle...which I used a Jewellers screwdriver with a flat head to slowly pry them apart till it's raised a little then pulling them out with my fingertips. Just don't shove the driver head in...just enough to lift a corner at a time. We don't wanna break or bend those small pins. If you have light hands you could use a long nose pliers to grab them and wriggle them out...beware that the white plastic is soft though!

The pins on the board weren't bad on mine...hmmm manufacturing difference I guess. But you could file them down or snip away a little. Which is why I used the 3M mounting tape, which is thick and has a good cushion to it.
If the board feels raised then put the screws back in and tighten slowly working in rotation till it starts to get tight. Once you feel the tension stop so you don't overtighten and bend the board. The tension will hold it all together especially if you used the Dbl sided tape like I did. There's tons of space in the TX housing rearwards...lol! You could even fit a Fan in there to cool those sweaty pals....hmmm perhaps Peltier chips for those who like COLD hands?......Iphone attachement?? hehe!

Ok...will end here. Will pop in again to check things out! Hope it works out for those who haven't started it yet! So far it is an easy mod to do as everything is ready and no serious mod to mods needed. Have fun guys and lastly.....

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!!!
Old 01-05-2012, 03:29 PM   #45 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

TimatworkSG,

Nice mod. I have seen a similar mod previously that ended up with an inop tx... your tutorial has reinspired me... I ordered my backlight a few minutes ago... I will post how it goes once I get it.

thanks!
Old 01-05-2012, 09:02 PM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks badfrog! Glad it re-inspired you.

Im sure there are many variations to adding a backlight to various Tx's. I found this the easiest, thanks to the original which was posted on the HK forums. It was the simplicity and ease without any serious modding or re-operation that spurred me to try it and put it up here for all. Till something better comes...hope this helps all DX6 Tx owners see in the dark...lol!

Please let us know how it goes. Take your time and PM me if you have any questions. I'll check in to see if there is anything amiss!

I still wish I got the Blue though...lol!!
Happy New 2012 to all!!
Old 01-10-2012, 09:36 PM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just ordered my blue backlight from HK
Old 01-11-2012, 06:29 PM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

Way to go bruuuuce!
Keep us posted on how it lights up your Tx!!
Old 01-11-2012, 11:28 PM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatworksg View Post

I still wish I got the Blue though...lol!!
Happy New 2012 to all!!
Well Tim, I never even considered the white, and the green was only given mild consideration. But once I saw the first good pic of the DX6i with the blue screen, there was no doubt in my mind that mine would be blue. I'm still loving it and think about this tutorial almost every time I power up my Tx.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:33 AM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

Same here....never cared or considered the white either! Didn't catch the Blue...probably due to Green backlight syndrome where almost everything I have with a backlight is green!...Ah well...as long as it works...!

Personally...one of the best tutorials I have done up really....was worth the effort and time documenting! Glad it has helped many!!
Old 01-14-2012, 12:14 AM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great writeup timatworksg! I just ordered my blue screen from HK a few days ago. I'd like to try installing this in my DX3C (which I use for my cars) and if the install goes well I'll get another one for my DX6i. I know you can cut the EL panels and they will still work, but should they be resealed? If I cut this HK panel for my DX3C's tiny screen will it still work?
Thanks!
cbp27 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2012, 08:46 AM   #52 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi cbp27,

I know that you can trim them...get a good scriber so the cut is clean.
Not sure about resealing though,...never did cut any before. Sorry can't help you there.

Try a google I'm sure you will come across some info about these panels.
If you do...post it here as it'll be great info!!

cheers
Old 01-18-2012, 02:55 PM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just tried this on the DX7, and it wont fit, damn shame!
stewb is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2012, 07:16 PM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

Bummer stewb!

Whereabouts doesn't it fit? DX7's screen bigger or the backlight is bigger? How much space is there inside. Have not tried or heard anyone doing this on a DX7 though unless it's the specific kits which cost way more. Let us know the issues. Thanks!
Old 01-21-2012, 01:45 PM   #55 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location
Default Thanks Timatworksg!!!

Woohoo!!!
got the backlit kit in the mail this morning... Now have the beautiful blue backlight on my DX6i!!!
Thanks Timatworksg... great tutorial. I ended up soldering wires to the #2 and 3# pins on the backlight board then extending using micro deans so if I should need to dissassemble for another mod, it is a simple plug/unplug (couldnt find a connector like you used either!).
Very nice!!!
Old 01-21-2012, 02:31 PM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatworksg View Post
Bummer stewb!

Whereabouts doesn't it fit? DX7's screen bigger or the backlight is bigger? How much space is there inside. Have not tried or heard anyone doing this on a DX7 though unless it's the specific kits which cost way more. Let us know the issues. Thanks!
It doesnt fit as the screen is too large, but i think they could be cut down as it is just plastic with a prismatic coating on the back. The main issue on the DX7 is that the switches are surface mounted on the board behind the screen. So if you insert the screen between the two, the buttons on the front of the Tx won't meet the switches!
stewb is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2012, 08:49 PM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for that heads up stewb! Appreciated. Don't have a DX7 so dunno whats in the guts! When I was buying a Tx it was DX6 or DX7....between the 2. Next step would be DX8. The 6 & 7 on my end was a choice of what I need most bearing costs. It's either this and then step up. Don't mind a JR DXM11 hehe....luv the cylon looks!
Old 01-22-2012, 11:11 AM   #58 (permalink)
Registered Users

Got mine in pale blue color...thanks to this guide...had my switch bet the antenna and the throttle hold sw...
enki is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2012, 02:51 AM   #59 (permalink)
Registered Users

I did this with the green backlight and I love the new readability of my DX6i.

But I do have some worries... anyone have answers to these?
1. This puts extra drain on the batteries... what's the actual effect on battery life?
2. Could this backlight cause any issues with the transmitter's power output (signal strength) or signal quality (e.g. any RF or electrical noise)?

Thank you!
Sam
Sambonator is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2012, 02:40 AM   #60 (permalink)
Registered Users

I was wondering that same thing?? I'm thinking of buying the DX6i now after reading about this mod. Any reported problems..

Rick,
Rick426 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in