Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Castle Creations ESC and Software

Castle Creations ESC and Software Castle Creations ESC Software and Hardware Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2014, 12:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default HV 80 shut down I think

Can someone look at this log and tell me in the fourth flight what happened? I think it shut down I lost RPM at the end when the heli went down. Amps went to 0.9 voltage stayed up at 48. Any help would be nice.

Thanks Guys

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Last flight speed control goes dead (2).jpg
Views:	58
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	487755  
airsiler is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2014, 10:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would like to see ripple, temperature, rpm, motor power out%, voltage and current if you can get them.
Precipitate is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2014, 02:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by airsiler View Post
Can someone look at this log and tell me in the fourth flight what happened? I think it shut down I lost RPM at the end when the heli went down. Amps went to 0.9 voltage stayed up at 48. Any help would be nice.

Thanks Guys

Bill
Post the entire file up, but change the file extension from .csv to .txt so HF will allow the attachment. Then the users can download it and change it back to .csv and read the file themselves rather than only a screen shot with missing info
Old 02-17-2014, 05:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ok here it is. If you have time please explain what your looking for with the ripple?

Thanks for all your help guys

Bill
Attached Files
File Type: txt Last flight speed control goes dead.txt (104.7 KB, 53 views)
Old 02-17-2014, 09:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Ok here it is. If you have time please explain what your looking for with the ripple?

Thanks for all your help guys

Bill
Ripple is the voltage difference measured between the middle of the on and off PWM cycles of the ESC. less than 5-7% of the total pack voltage means the packs are great. 7-10% is good, and 10-12% starting to get questionable. Over 12-15% and your packs are telling you they cant handle the job at all.

Your ripple in the in the 2% zone, so you are fine there. Your power out is near 90% so you appear to be geared just fine and temps are nice and cool. I didn't see anything out of the ordinary when looking only at the 4th session where it stopped other than your RPM start going up about 15 seconds before the throttle in suddenly flat lined as she shut down. You didn't accidentally hit zero throttle did you? The ESC will go into slow spool up mode and need several seconds to fire back up of the ESC ever touches zero throttle in flight.

Your pack wasn't fully charged when the flight started, and was about 1V down, but not low enough for the heli to stop unless you have your voltage fail safe set too low. It dipped to 47.4V right when your RPM started going up before the shutdown, but you would be in the 44V range on a fully flown 12S pack, so there was still plenty enough juice to fly, and well above the 3.2V per cell auto lipo voltage cut off default

Check your ESC settings and make sure you have the current limiting set to "insensitive. I personally don't want mine to ever get close to any voltage minimum, so I use a custom value for the voltage that is super low where the heli wouldn't even be able to fly, and turn the auto lipo off. This means you MUST time your flights properly through or she will go until she drops, but this removes any possibility of the ESC shutting me down for any voltage spike.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

When the RPMs went up I went into mode two a little higher rpm. I can't see how I could of went down to 0 throttle as I have mode two set at 90 persent across the board. I have no idea what happened not felling to good about putting her back up again without knowing what went wrong. I will recheck my settings in the radio and make sure I didn't screw my settings up somehow. Thanks for looking at this for me.

Bill
Old 02-18-2014, 07:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
When the RPMs went up I went into mode two a little higher rpm. I can't see how I could of went down to 0 throttle as I have mode two set at 90 persent across the board. I have no idea what happened not felling to good about putting her back up again without knowing what went wrong. I will recheck my settings in the radio and make sure I didn't screw my settings up somehow. Thanks for looking at this for me.

Bill
Good luck with it. I don't see many guys running 80A ESCs on a 12 cell heli, although I never saw you come close to those limits in any of the four flights. Most 12 cell setups use 100-120A ESCs, but once again this really depends on how you fly. My Align 500 has an Edge 75 on it which is overkill for my style

I looked at all four sessions one at a time, and it didn't look like you really did much of anything substantial for more than a minute or so at a time other than flight 3. Maybe just some 1 minute hover testing hops in the first 2 sessions?

Your battery wasn't fully charged to 50.4V on any of the four flights. Flight 3 was the worst, and started at 48.8V and sagged down to 45V less than 2 minutes of you spooling up, because this is the only session where the heli looked like it was being flown around. A fully flown pack is 44.4V, so that is much too low that soon in the flight, so maybe check that your charger is doing its job as well.

No worries on the hitting zero if you run a flat TC. I was just making sure, because its easy to tap zero if there is one at the bottom of the stick travel and shut the ESC down. Its weird on session four because your amps plummet right when you increase RPM and the head speed goes up, and the amp draw should have gone up not down. I'm assuming this was the just the beginning of the actual shutdown even though the power out and drop didn't occur until about 10 seconds later
Old 02-18-2014, 04:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Xray

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in