Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 450

Blade 450 Blade 450 Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2011, 06:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default locking flybar

For anyone who has repaired their blade 450 or checked their setup. How did you lock your flybar when checking your pitch using a pitch gauge. On the blade 400 tyou can use a 3mm allen wrench to lock it. That trick won't work on the 450.
CyberDragon is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2011, 07:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJDM3k-_BeY[/ame]

Last edited by ror1; 08-06-2011 at 04:37 PM.. Reason: wrong statement...sorry
ror1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2011, 07:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Cyber,

This is the setup I use. I took the level out of a "line level" and just tape it to the flybar paddle. I slide the blade holder along the tail boom and adjust the tension on the flybar paddle to get the flybar level. Make sure the heli is level first. No problem getting the pitches dialed in, as accurate as the gauges are. It's not perfect but takes a lot of variables out. Sorry the picture is not super clear, you get the idea.

Glen

Old 08-05-2011, 07:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

@ ror1,

When setting the blade pitches mechanically, it's very important that the flybar be as level as possible, preferably perfectly level. Otherwise your setting the pitches to something that is not level, and therefore not getting a true pitch reading relative to a level heli at mid stick. All adjustments to a heli must be done with everything as level as can be.

@ Cyber

Make sure your flybar is level to the heli when adjusting your blade pitches mechanically. There is no shortcut here, if you want it set up correctly and most of all accurately, level the flybar.

Glen

Last edited by Muskoka; 08-06-2011 at 06:55 AM..
Muskoka is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2011, 07:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Another tool that shows the importance of having the flybar perfectly level when doing pitch adjustments. Looks very well made.

Glen

Old 08-05-2011, 11:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Muskoka, where can i buy one of those?
CyberDragon is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2011, 04:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberDragon View Post
Muskoka, where can i buy one of those?
Elevated RC Flybar Lock

Can be found here: http://www.heliproz.com/prodinfo.asp?number=254500

Or here: http://www.readyheli.com/EL500-Eleva...l_p_32763.html

The best locking tool out there IMHO.Can be used as a swashplate level tool and to check for swashplate interacktions as well.
Wiggen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2011, 06:52 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here's a link to another maker of nice tools for setting up your heli. I haven't ordered anything yet, probably will in the near future. If nothing else it gives your some ideas on how to make your own tools. Flybar locks are near the bottom.

http://rdlohr.com/products.pdf

Glen
Old 08-06-2011, 07:42 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Does using the top slit in the blade holder to hold the flybar paddle still work like it did on the B400?
ckankel is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2011, 09:03 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckankel View Post
Does using the top slit in the blade holder to hold the flybar paddle still work like it did on the B400?
That is how I roll! I don't get to crazy, so it dials it in just fine for me. I make sure it's level by EYEBALL!
bradharvy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2011, 09:16 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradharvy View Post
That is how I roll! I don't get to crazy, so it dials it in just fine for me. I make sure it's level by EYEBALL!
+1 on the eyeball, best things in life are free......
upankatz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2011, 04:41 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskoka View Post
Here's a link to another maker of nice tools for setting up your heli. I haven't ordered anything yet, probably will in the near future. If nothing else it gives your some ideas on how to make your own tools. Flybar locks are near the bottom.

http://rdlohr.com/products.pdf

Glen
Wow the price...flybar being level is $30 critical !!!!!
close is good enough. you change the blade pitch anyway when you do blade tracking so why worry about getting the pitch set to exactly zero..you guys take this hobby too serious...
Old 08-06-2011, 04:54 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default I'll be damned

I can make anything if I see a picture, I don't see heli folk buying his stuff when he has already givin you a blueprint. What I mean is that it is TOO easy, 15 min. with a CD cover and coping saw, done...
Old 08-06-2011, 11:08 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

@ror1

$30 to keep a Flybar level. It's not the cost that matters, it's the fact that it needs to be level to set the blade pitch correctly, a fact that you don't seem to understand. Did I spend $30, no, is my head set-up properly, yes. I displayed a picture of how you can do it the right way without spending hardly any money, if you want to eyeball it, go ahead.

This sums up everything...I guess,

Quote:
close is good enough. you change the blade pitch anyway when you do blade tracking so why worry about getting the pitch set to exactly zero..you guys take this hobby too serious...
Too serious, perhaps, I prefer to look at it as doing things the right way. You do what you want, good luck with the repairs. And please, quit giving "poor" advise on set-up, it's not helping anyone. You would be better off giving newcomers this link, https://www.helifreak.com/forumdisplay.php?f=59, at least that way they get the correct information.

Glen
Old 08-06-2011, 11:37 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

One thing to check that I ran into today. "Level flybar" only matters if the main shaft is vertical.

Before, I had assumed that the main shaft is perpendicular to the tail boom, so I levelled the tail boom, then did my setup. However, I don't think the main shaft is perpendicular to the tail boom; I think the angle is maybe 92*. Pretty tough to measure that one, but setup using a level tail boom was not satisfactory (way too much down elevator required), and setup today without level tail boom, but with (as far as I could tell) vertical main shaft yielded much better results.

I think the main shaft is vertical if the heli is sitting on its (stock) skids and tail fin. Sitting like that, the tail boom (at least _my_ tail boom) is definitely not level.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:56 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdFin View Post
One thing to check that I ran into today. "Level flybar" only matters if the main shaft is vertical.

Before, I had assumed that the main shaft is perpendicular to the tail boom, so I levelled the tail boom, then did my setup. However, I don't think the main shaft is perpendicular to the tail boom; I think the angle is maybe 92*. Pretty tough to measure that one, but setup using a level tail boom was not satisfactory (way too much down elevator required), and setup today without level tail boom, but with (as far as I could tell) vertical main shaft yielded much better results.

I think the main shaft is vertical if the heli is sitting on its (stock) skids and tail fin. Sitting like that, the tail boom (at least _my_ tail boom) is definitely not level.
I think you have a slightly bent boom..

The only thing that matters is to get the flybar perpendicular to the main shaft.When this is done it doesn,t matter how or what angle the heli is sitting at
Old 08-07-2011, 09:11 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
The only thing that matters is to get the flybar perpendicular to the main shaft.When this is done it doesn,t matter how or what angle the heli is sitting at
This is the only thing that matters. The heli could be upside down if you want. Even if it was, you still need to make sure everything is 90 deg (perpedicular) to the plane of the heli and the main shaft (head), otherwise your wasting your time setting it up with incorrect pitch values. Why even bother putting a pitch gauge on it, if your just going to eyeball everything. Cyber, I know your not doing that.

These are not toys like the mcpx (not bashing the mcpx). Set it up properly, so as not to endanger yourself or the people that may be around you. Besides, you get to keep some money in your pocket to spend on your next heli, instead of repairs.

Glen
Old 08-07-2011, 09:58 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

[QUOTE=Muskoka;3145072]This is the only thing that matters. The heli could be upside down if you want. Even if it was, you still need to make sure everything is 90 deg (perpedicular) to the plane of the heli and the main shaft (head), otherwise your wasting your time setting it up with incorrect pitch values. Why even bother putting a pitch gauge on it, if your just going to eyeball everything.

+1
Well said.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:59 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggen View Post
I think you have a slightly bent boom..
Certainly possible! But I think it was like that out of the box, where I had to prop up the tail about half an inch to make the tail boom level. At that time I did not check the main shaft for vertical when the tail fin was propped up though.

Here's an experiment; maybe someone could try this next time they're fussing with it and see how it looks.

1. Set the heli on table, no props, so its tail fin is on the table. Is the the tail boom level?

2. If the tail boom is not level, does propping it up a little level it? For me, it's a deck of cards, minus a few cards under the tail fin that levels the boom.

3. If propping up the tail leveled the tail boom, then which of those setups (propped and not propped) makes the main shaft look more vertical? The only way I checked this is by holding a level (with a sideways-bubble) next to the heli and eyeballing the level against the main shaft. Not so accurate, but the difference is apparent.

There's no reason the tail boom *must* be perpendicular to the main shaft, is there? Other than "it's the common way to do it" and "it makes setup easier". All that matters for flying is that the shaft holding the tail rotor is perpendicular to the main shaft, it seems.

Propping up the tail about half and inch, with the tail and skids about 18" apart, is about two degress, which would directly translate to the swash being two degrees off level. I don't know if that's a lot.

Best would be if someone with access to mechanical drawings or who just knows the answer for sure (y'all still out there?) would correct my erroneous ways.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:37 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Exclamation this stuff

Got mine all complete. Mine is sitting on Align 500 skids and ready to fly my tailboom is level and my main shaft is plumb, giving me a 90 degree angle on boom and M.shaft. Thats sittin, but when I hang it up with hooks on the flybar next to the FB cage the boom is still level, showing that my CG is on the money..Dave..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in