Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 450X

Blade 450X Blade 450X Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2012, 04:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Parts for the 450X swash/head etc...need some advice

Hey all,

I just got an 450X but there are a couple of threaded ball links into the swash and the main rotor grip so I need some advice on parts.

I have an aluminium swash for my 450 3D...is this a direct replacement or have they come out with a FBL version? If I can use it, I have the swash sorted.

I know I need X main grips, X spindle shaft, X main shaft, X FBL follower arms and X swash to main grips links but can I use the following parts from my 3D?

3D thrust bearings assembly for the X spindle?
3D main grip bearings for the X main blade grips?

Is the main shaft shorter in the X? Not sure what the change was here.

Is there anything else I need to get just for the X? I've got quite a decent kit of 3D parts so it's only really the swash upwards that I need to collect for.

Do I also need the flybarless setup tool? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blade-BLH430...item3f168f7aed

Now in regards to blades, I was told I could use the Align CF blades which are pretty cheap...can't remember if they were the pro or 3D...or 3D Pro (??). I don't want to pay $35 a pair from HH when you can frequently get CF blades for $10-15.

What are people using for replacements?

Thanks in advance. I'm a bit bummed out about the X arriving in unflyable condition (due to the stripped plastic parts the ball links screw into) and whilst I can easily sort the swash if the 3D and X are the same, I'm hesitant to just CA the main blade grip to keep it holding. It may be fine, but I'd need to have a bit of advice first before I risk trashing the heli!
FailureToFly is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2012, 05:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The swash is the same. That said, the stock swash works quite well, and really doesn't need replacing.

The easiest way to determine what is interchangeable between the 450 3D and X is to look at the back of the 450X manual. If a part starts with BLH16XX, it's literally the same part as on the 450 3D. If it starts with BLH43XX, it's a 450 X-exclusive part.

You do not need the FBL setup tool if you have a bevel box or digital pitch gauge (the RC Logger gauge is highly recommended by others on this forum, I use a BeastX bevel box myself, magnet stuck to the top of the blade grip bolt as it's flat and made of steel). The tool is only used for sighting an analog pitch gauge, so if you aren't using one, it's a bit superfluous. The swash tool, however, is worth the $8 hands-down. Levels the swash and centers it on the pitch throw instantly, just take off your ball links and slip it under the swash. Might have to do fine-tuning based on blade pitch change when the head has been rotated (if it doesn't stay at zero; mine was one turn off on the port aileron servo)

The community-recommended Align blades are the 325D 3G CF blades (which are designed for FBL), and usually retail for $12-15 a set. They are 10mm shorter than the stock 335mm blades. I have a set, and noticed more vibration, less lift and less stability than the stockers. Many have reported success in sport flying with EXI-450 FRP (fiberglass) or CF (carbon fiber, obviously) 335s. They aren't weighted for FBL though, so they will fly a bit worse. But for $3-6 a set, there aren't too many complaints when using them as training blades. Don't have a set of either so can't offer my thoughts.
I will echo the sentiment in the manual and here though... don't use the 450 3D woodies on this heli!

If you're already cannibalizing your 3D, why not just take a ball link eyelet off one of the 3D links at the same time? They're the same part, I think... BLH1637; I believe the only difference on the FBL pitch links is the length of the metal rod, which in your case is fine, unless I misunderstand you.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

The damage is the actual holes in the plastic part of the swash and the blade grip that the little link balls screw into.

Someone at the factory during assembly just tightened them up too tight and stripped the threads so they aren't really locked in. You can just turn and turn them and they don't get at all tight. Hence my concern.

I'll replace the stock swash with an aluminium one as that is the only one I've got on hand but I need another main grip.

I might get the RC Logger as that is a pretty handy tool! Much better than roughly eyeing things IMHO.

I've got some HK CF and Fibreglass blades though they'll be FB blades. I'm not sure if they would be ok for the high headspeeds of the X but they could be ok. I'll look into the Align and EXI though I think they are out of stock.

I won't worry too much about having max lift as I will be running a lowered TC anyway.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Automotive technician - but really a rocket scientist

Did you call horizon hobby? They will replace that for you. Im sure if you complained how you dont feel comfortable with a new heli that has multiple over tightened screws they might replace the whole thing. Call them up and talk to them they will fix the situation. For blades whatever you get you should be balancing them. I run EDGE blades but at 40 bucks a pop they arnt cheap. But to me its worth the gains. Balanced at the factory. like stated above the align 3g blades will work and most of the time are balanced pretty good. But might need a small amount of balancing. I would stay away from those fiberglass blades ive seen them snap apart with these high headspeeds...
meatwad99si is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 11:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah I bought the blades for my 3D but as the X has a much higher headspeed I didn't think they would be that safe.

I'll try the Align blades.

I feel bad for the LHS I got it at as a) I got it for a great price and b) they just replaced my MKS DS92 servos for DS92A+'s at no cost to me. As I've got the swash I only really need the blade grip to fly.

I'm so tempted to just CA the grip and give it a test hover as it screws right in but just isn't tight. I figure some CA prob would allow me to hover it ok to test it out and start making sure everything is operating ok. By the time the weather clears up the grip should have arrived from HopMeUp and I'll be set.

Don't think I'd try any 100' high stall turns in the interim though!
Old 05-03-2012, 11:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

When I contacted HH for my MCPX 3in1 dying they said to contact the LHS...so this is why I haven't bothered...I'm from Melbourne Aus and I figure Arc RC did me a great solid and essentially gave me $75 worth of servos free...plus the red hot price on the X.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:05 AM   #7 (permalink)
Automotive technician - but really a rocket scientist

Hmm, i called HH said hey my motor has a vibration and its getting really hot. Ok sir whats your address, we will ship you out a new one asap. I didnt even have to prove i owned the heli! I would just call and see what they say. For the grips, replace them! They are only 8 bucks and its gonna cost ALOT more if that ball link pops off mid flight. They are easy to replace. I would go buy the grips, put them on, then call horizon hobby and tell them what you just had to do. and see what they say. Cant hurt anything. just please DONT try CA.
meatwad99si is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in