Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 400

Blade 400 Blade Helicopters (eFlite) 400 Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2008, 11:25 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Confused about reversing gyro.....

In one of my recent posts concerning the replacement of all the servos with hitec hs-65mg servos, I encounted a problem with the tail going crazy. I was advised to reverse the gyro.

Am I correct in assuming that the gyro needs to be reversed in the transmitter? The direction is correct with my inputs to the tail. The problem is not direction but sensitivity. A little bit of throw of the rudder stick will make it want to do 360s. I have made adjustments for the gyro in heading hold and rate modes.

I started in rate at 25. No good. Went all the way up to 49......same problem. Then, I selected HH and started at the default 66.5 and went both up and down from there. No good. But, the already known issue of the slider drift while in HH just added to the problem. With that said, I have always preffered to fly in rate mode.....no drift. Which mode do most folks fly in and what are the most common values for each mode do folks use?

Thanks!

Huckleberry
Huckleberry is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2008, 11:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post
In one of my recent posts concerning the replacement of all the servos with hitec hs-65mg servos, I encounted a problem with the tail going crazy. I was advised to reverse the gyro.

Am I correct in assuming that the gyro needs to be reversed in the transmitter? The direction is correct with my inputs to the tail. The problem is not direction but sensitivity. A little bit of throw of the rudder stick will make it want to do 360s. I have made adjustments for the gyro in heading hold and rate modes.

I started in rate at 25. No good. Went all the way up to 49......same problem. Then, I selected HH and started at the default 66.5 and went both up and down from there. No good. But, the already known issue of the slider drift while in HH just added to the problem. With that said, I have always preffered to fly in rate mode.....no drift. Which mode do most folks fly in and what are the most common values for each mode do folks use?

Thanks!

Huckleberry
yes the little switch on the gyro has to be reversed also because it is compensating inthe wrong direction try it ttyl John
Old 10-28-2008, 12:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I think you will need to reverse RUDD in the radios revserse menu too.. so both gyro AND left stick work right.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyster View Post
I think you will need to reverse RUDD in the radios revserse menu too.. so both gyro AND left stick work right.
I think he already did that when he put the hitec on the tail.https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=100707
Old 10-28-2008, 12:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post

Thanks!

Huckleberry
i don't think is a good idea to reverse the gyro on the radio that will not work
Old 10-28-2008, 05:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladelearnin View Post
i don't think is a good idea to reverse the gyro on the radio that will not work
yes it will work but will reverse the gain

0-49 will be Heading hold 0=100
51-100 is rate 100=0
sokal is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2008, 05:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

No.. I didn't mean reverse the gyro on the radio.. I meant reverse the RUDD (your stick) on the radio... the gyro can be set to reverse (on the gyro) and work right.. but your stick will STILL work opposite see? I think you have to do both if you put on a Hitec.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyster View Post
No.. I didn't mean reverse the gyro on the radio.. I meant reverse the RUDD (your stick) on the radio... the gyro can be set to reverse (on the gyro) and work right.. but your stick will STILL work opposite see? I think you have to do both if you put on a Hitec.
I think the stock gyro is also bas ackward so you have to reverse it too
Old 10-28-2008, 05:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokal View Post
yes it will work but will reverse the gain

0-49 will be Heading hold 0=100
51-100 is rate 100=0
thats why it is better to reverse on the gyro and not tthe gyro setting in the radio
Old 10-28-2008, 06:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Have you got it yet. I have the Hitec on my bird with the stock gyro. I can look at my settings. What I remember for sure is that you have to change the reverse switch on the stock gyro itself.

Also - make sure you didn't do what I did..... I had the belt going the wrong way on the tail... even turned the rotor blades around to spin correctly.

Look at the manuals and the bible if you're not sure.
Nitro Whiplash | Align servos | BeastX | 91 HZR Speed Powerboost pipe | TREX 700E v2 super combo | Gens Ace 5300 bats | TREX 500 DFC super combo | Gens Ace 3300 bats | Blade 130 - blinged out | Traxxas Quad
drb99 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2008, 07:00 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladelearnin View Post
thats why it is better to reverse on the gyro and not tthe gyro setting in the radio
You MAY have to do both... you may not. Put the gyro in heading hold mode and swing the tail with your hand - the gyro should try to counteract your motion - if not, the direction on the gyro itself needs to be reversed. Then, move the rudder stick on the radio - if the blades move the wrong way, you need to reverse the rudder channel in the radio. These two things are independent - one does not affect the other, but you obviously need to have them both right. All of this is independent of the gain too - that's a whole other deal to figure out.

If the switch on your gyro is wrong, the heli will do this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txxJPu1Dn7M
Jasmine2501 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2008, 01:50 PM   #12 (permalink)
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default I dunno.............

Yep.........that's what it does alright. I guess we'll have to back up a bit and try all possible combinations of the switches and see what it does. Thanks for the info.
Huckleberry is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2008, 02:16 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

try the rev / norm switch on Gyro...sounds like it is trying to comp wrong way. Question: when it spins like a bat outta hell...which direction? clockwise (right)? then its the switch...if its counter then the other guys could be on to it
Old 10-30-2008, 02:23 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by
If the switch on your gyro is wrong, the heli will do this:
[URL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txxJPu1Dn7M[/URL]
Oh man I knew that was going to turn out bad...ouch
Old 10-30-2008, 05:53 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heliflyer3 View Post
Oh man I knew that was going to turn out bad...ouch
That video is painful to watch from the moment it becomes clear that he's not going to solve the problem by messing with the gain. There is a huge discussion in the comments, but no indication that he ever solved the problem, and no flying videos have been posted by that user.

On this setup issue though - this is not a trial-and-error, check all possible combos, kinda problem. Do exactly what I said step by step and if it doesn't work, it is defective or there is a mechanical issue with the helicopter itself. This is not hit-and-miss, it works or it doesn't.

The only confusing part about setting up the tail for me is deciding which direction the tail is pushing - it pushes toward the leading edges of the tail blades...

Sooo... if you swing the tail in "X direction" - the leading edges of the tail blades should also move "X direction" or it's backwards. I might have to do a video of this... it really is pretty easy and if it doesn't work, then it's a deeper issue than the settings.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:57 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I know.. this video hurts... it is so obvious that the gyro itself is reversed... if he only knew about that little tiny switch on the side of the gyro.. Poor guy.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:37 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I sent him a PM - I feel really sorry for the po' liddle choppa

I just want to know if he fixed it. If you look at his profile, it says he likes "helicopter music" and "helicopter books" and I hope this problem doesn't discourage him from flying, because he clearly enjoys it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in