Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > mCP X

mCP X Blade Micro CPx Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2012, 11:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default No Power Problem Solving (new motor?)

Good Day,
All went well in heli land... I was getting my steady supply with my little birdy and she was teaching me many lessons... then all of a sudden, no more real power?
With my DX8, I used to be able to hover at mid-stick, and if I went full collective it would just take off. Now, at full, I can barely keep her in the air...
I checked the pitch and it is zero at mid and both sides match at full collective (checked with pitch gauge). I did have some issues with my servos (dirtly), cleaned them, but still no dice.
As I am newer to the CP helis, and from my reading here...
IF my motor stays at X rpm for a given pitch, I will get so much lift. If I increase the pitch for X rpm, more lift. If the pitch stays equal and the rpm declines, then the heli would lose lift, yes? (the balance of this equation gives us basic to advanced performance, right?)
If this thinking is correct, then my motor may be on the way out, as I now have to give it full throttle (with corresponding increase in pitch) just to maintain a dying hover!
My batteries are good (not my first rc lipo, I have many planks). Maybe my blades? I put on the KBDD blades and noticed a difference... but they could be crap. I will change them later, but I don't think that's it....
1. If it is the motor, how does one make certain its not the board?
2. So the motor is bad... just go brushless?
3. I only have, giver or take, 15 hours on the motor... really? That's not so long...

Any help would be appreciated, especially the confirmation of my logic (as gained from reading this forum when I should have been working...)

Sincerely,
A new addict (Ray)
FlyingRadioWaves is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2012, 11:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

has the main gear at bottom of main shaft rotated(line up flat spots) and moved down on you.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My main gear is lined up and tight. I've had that issue before and it solves alot of issues and its been checked.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

than it is the motor or 3in1.
go M5 brushless with flange on motor so you do not have to cut away so much frame if using stock frame.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/180837196178?...84.m1497.l2649
Old 03-27-2012, 12:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok... is there any test I can perform to isolate the 3n1 or the motor? I would hate to spend all that $$ on a brushless setup only to find the 3n1 is shot!
BTW, thanks for the help!
Old 03-27-2012, 12:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

if 3in1 is shot , you are still going to fix it?
just trying not to spend money on parts you will no longer use(i.e. blade main motor)
if you are going brushless anyway...why not..

other way is stick on any spare motor you have even a tail motor...that is it ...wire your tail motor to main motor output...a motor is a motor...
Old 03-27-2012, 02:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

There are only a few steps to isolate the problem.

1. install new brushed motor. If it flies well then you are good to go. If not then there may be some mechanical problems. Bearings, shaft ect.

2. If it does not fly well and there are no mechanical issues than you have a bad FET or 2. You can replace those and then you will be good to go.

3. If you are planning on going brushless then you can skip steps 1 and 2. The fact that your motor is trying to work is proof that your MCU is good. A working FET and main motor is not required for brushless. Only a good MCU and clean solder point at the 1k resistor is required.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Mega Stumbler is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2012, 02:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mega Stumbler View Post
There are only a few steps to isolate the problem.

1. install new brushed motor. If it flies well then you are good to go. If not then there may be some mechanical problems. Bearings, shaft ect.

2. If it does not fly well and there are no mechanical issues than you have a bad FET or 2. You can replace those and then you will be good to go.

3. If you are planning on going brushless then you can skip steps 1 and 2. The fact that your motor is trying to work is proof that your MCU is good. A working FET and main motor is not required for brushless. Only a good MCU and clean solder point at the 1k resistor is required.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
+1 well said..
Old 03-27-2012, 02:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Besides changing main rotor blades (that's tonight's job), and from what I've gathered here, I believe it is indeed the motor.
Correct me if I'm wrong (never mind that I am going to do this anyways), if I intend to put good air time on the mCPx, then brushless is the way to go. She is an excellent training heli and I would hate to loose her. Besides, brushless lasts longer and the cool factor is there!
Thanks for your input. Helps to talk it out sometimes.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Remove the head and inspect the mainshaft. Sometimes it has a hairline crack usually from the hub hole downward. When the heli is spun up and forces are on the shaft it can open and cause the swash to not be able to slide up easily reducing your climbout to crappy.

Also if you're going to remain brushed the best trouble shooting tool for an Mcpx is another main motor!

Other than that follow mega's post. By the way he can fix the board for you if need be. Make sure it's not mechanical first though.

Amp
Ampdraw is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2012, 07:27 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have also heard of people that are down to a few strands of wire at their battery connector causing this problem. It is enough to power it up, test the servos etc. but when it comes to pulling a little current through it, it just can't do it.
jlharv is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in