Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Kasama Helicopters and Upgrades

Kasama Helicopters and Upgrades Kasama Srimok 90 Helicopters and Upgrades Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2011, 05:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
HF Support

Default Lucky escaqpe - sheared tail bolt

Fired up the ECO for a bit of 2.5D practice and was just congratulating myself how smooth and straight things seem to be when the tail blew out - lucky I was pretty level and only 20ft off the ground so auto'd down, old fashioned weathervane style, and landed upright with no apparent damage - except for the tail push rod dangling free!!

The pivot M3 bolt on the tail arm had sheared just where it leaves the thrust bearing - not had this one before. Attempts to extract the sheared stud proved unsuccessful - qv video - so I drilled it out to 3mm, put a collared bolt down and milled the top square to take an M3 nyloc nut - Lucky escape

Really don't know why the bolt sheared - been a very smooth heli with no discernible vibes at all!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050198.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	186.9 KB
ID:	265024   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050200.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	162.9 KB
ID:	265025   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050201.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	265028  
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2011, 08:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Dang! that makes me feel like taking mine out & replacing it with a titanium one, would'nt want to experience that on my maiden.
seemore74 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2011, 09:00 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wow .

There is no such a shearing force there. Faulty M3 bolt ?

Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yeah, when are those Ti bolts gonna be in stock.....?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seemore74 View Post
Dang! that makes me feel like taking mine out & replacing it with a titanium one, would'nt want to experience that on my maiden.
Brett74 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2011, 03:04 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wow John that was a lucky one. My 550 didn't survive the weekend quite as well!

Any idea as to cause? Overtightened, undertightened, wear & tear?
thefrog is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2011, 04:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefrog View Post
Any idea as to cause? Overtightened, undertightened, wear & tear?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett74 View Post
Yeah, when are those Ti bolts gonna be in stock.....?

I personally think that sometimes some of these bolts just go weak probably due to the manufacturing process.

Brett, the titanium bolts I'm speaking about are just some I picked up from my local hobby shop that fit the bill, with my local you can go in and find several types, sizes & shape titanium bolts (mix & match).
seemore74 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2011, 05:23 AM   #7 (permalink)
HF Support

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I think it was a one off bad bolt. Titanium is not suitable as it is plastic and tends to bend, although light and hard it lacks tensile strength.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:42 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's another maintenance candidate then. I'm keen to put the Ti bolts in the certain areas like the frame bolts and maybe motor mounts, but for the most part I'd prefer the steel as it's not as brittle.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:57 AM   #9 (permalink)
HF Support

Thread Starter Thread Starter

One of my buddies did actually notice excessive play in the lever earlier that day but I thought it was slop in the flange bearings
Old 11-07-2011, 06:04 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercuriell View Post
One of my buddies did actually notice excessive play in the lever earlier that day but I thought it was slop in the flange bearings
John, what kind of play was noted? I also noticed play in the tail and tightened that bolt a little - probably 3 or 4 flights ago.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:13 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hey Mercuriell thanks for bringing this issue up at this moment that made me check my tail too. I crashed 2 weeks ago - minor damage and the tail was intact - i thought but today i noticed some tail vibes and investigated. it tourned out that the bolt was bent and a bit loose and may be ready for snapping!

Changed it and try again later if the tail vibes are gone!

It pays of to read in the forums every now and then! :-)

Greets from Germany
Old 11-16-2011, 09:37 AM   #12 (permalink)
Dda
Registered Users

I'm not that lucky. The 4th tank in my engine breaking in...the tail just started to swing and I did an auto as well and just landed in an uneven patch of the grass and the main blade touched the ground and the heli lost balance...costs : broken boom, tail drive shaft, tail boom supports and a pair of main blades.

Just found out the same pivot screw was bent when I was checking and re-loctite all screws at the tail. Need to get another 20mm bolt at the hardware shop this week.

Can anyone get an answer on the reason why it happened. Seems like this is one design issue as there are 3 occasions in this thread already.
Dda is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2011, 03:43 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

i do not think that it is really a design issue just vibrations which loosens the bolt over time mine was installt since 6 - 8 month on my FIFA. I had two time the bolts of the arm on the main blade grip coming loose. Luckily found it during preflight inspection so loctited it and all good. Helis vibrate all the time and how sure can you bee that your bolt or whole is correctly degreased. and on some you put a little bit more loctide than on others. i think every bolt or screw on a heli needs to be checked from time to time especially on nitro's due to more violent vibes! We tend to forget that those thing are complex machines and need maintenance like the real once!
Old 11-20-2011, 01:45 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quite right. Def. not a specific Kasama problem. My Vibe 50 sheared the tail unit clean of the boom by itself during ther first 30 flights. High freq. vibes- didn't notice anything wrong at all until it came right off in flight.

/Henrik
MSH Protos "Monsterheli", HDX-450
hookmaker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in