Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 700 Class Electric Helicopters

700 Class Electric Helicopters 700 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2016, 06:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 700x Tail Gears - Whats the deal here?

Hello Everyone,

This hasn't affected me quite yet but it did my buddy the other day who stripped out a set of stock 700x tail gears on an overspeed with a little tail chatter due to gain.. went to buy new ones and it seems the stock 22t ratio is no longer available as its being replaced by the "red gears" which have a different auto gear and pinion?

Original Ratio: Auto Gear 104T, Tail Pinion 22T : Ratio 4.72
New Red Gear Ration: Auto Gear 102T, Tail Pinion 23T : Ratio 4.43

So couple questions:

1. Is the original ratio no longer available (discontinued?)
2. Why the lower ratio now? Align cannot just change gear material to a stronger one to keep stock ratio?

I am concerned here because I do not fly high headspeed... 1700 rpm... tail works great @ 4.72 ratio.. I am worried that with the new ratio it will not..

Thoughts guys? who is flying lower headspeed and pushing this new tail ratio?

-Cory
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2016, 03:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Typical Align. Their heli's can have faults that could kill you or a bystander and they will just bring out a new part that you have to pay for, to fix the issue.
KDS 550 VBar, 550E DHPS VBar, 550E DFC Pro VBar, 700E DFC HV iKon
beenflying is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2016, 09:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I stripped a set, but totally my fault. Tried to maiden with flat throttle curves (forgot to click "use governer") on the FBL. I had an awesome pirouetting mess on my hands, luckily, I set it down, and just found out that the tail gears stripped.

So, in my mind, I said, well, this is the week point of the drive train, and I thought it was that way on purpose.

I ordered a couple new sets, and was surprised on how easy it was to replace those gears. I think those gears are soft on purpose. Somethings gotta give...

If you read the description for the new gears, it specifically addresses overspeeds. So yes, if you are doing those, I would think you need to change the gears. Maybe you can't have both, low headspeed + overspeeds based on the gear ratios. But it's worth a shot.

The align is a pretty light weight heli though compared to others on the market. Light weight typically means compromises from a robustness perspective. i.e., you can't be super light, and be super strong; well, unless you pay a lot of money
daboxe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2016, 01:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am seeing a belted 700X in the near future. Look at what they used in the new 470L. Or at least make it so you can choose between a belt or tt.
Old 11-27-2016, 02:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenflying View Post
Typical Align. Their heli's can have faults that could kill you or a bystander and they will just bring out a new part that you have to pay for, to fix the issue.
They arent 'faulty'. The stock 700X gears are the same gears that have been fitted to the 700L for years. They brought the new gears out for running very high headspeeds, no different really to the different tail gear ratios available fopr some other helis.

I'd be surprised if the 'old' gears dont remain available, they are a better option for those running 'normal' headspeeds.
Old 11-27-2016, 03:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't believe the originally black gears will be discontinued. I haven't heard that they will be. As stated above just a different option for ratios.
nynextel88 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2016, 05:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ok good info I hope they don't discontinue..

What's the difference between the stock black and these white ones? Will these work also?

http://www.aligntrexstore.com/M1-Tor...XX_p_2106.html
Old 11-27-2016, 05:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

The black was a strengthened upgrade to the white gears. Otherwise no difference.
nynextel88 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2016, 01:31 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wait they're not making the 22T gear anymore? that's bad news for people that like to run moderate headspeeds.
Atomic Skull is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2016, 01:39 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirolf View Post
I am seeing a belted 700X in the near future
Putting a 470L style direct drive belt on the Trex 700X is not simple, it will require some drastic changes to the frame. Either the position of the maingear and auto rotation gear will have to be flipped to bring it into line with the boom and the motor mount dropped down to bring the pinion in line with the maingear or the boom will have to be dropped down to be inline with the auto rotation gear and the lower frame raised to compensate similar to what was done with the Morphis Trex 700 gasoline conversion (in that case the frame was much taller than a stock Trex already because of the gasoline engine so even with the lowered boom it was 8mm higher than stock)

A 600E style jackshaft and pulley would only require a new boom mound that moves the jackshaft back from the maingear and a new auto rotation gear to compensate (currently the jackshaft is too close to the maingear to fit a pulley in there) however that system sucks.

If they do do this I hope they do it right with a big pulley (larger than the boom diameter) and belt guides at the tail end and a 25mm boom.

Last edited by Atomic Skull; 12-02-2016 at 08:12 PM..
Old 12-13-2016, 02:02 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default align gears

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynextel88 View Post
I don't believe the originally black gears will be discontinued. I haven't heard that they will be. As stated above just a different option for ratios.
Dennis Everett is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2016, 06:37 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

If they are discontinued you could always slot the screw holes and use the 21t 700N gear for low to moderate headspeed.
Old 12-14-2016, 12:07 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull View Post
If they are discontinued you could always slot the screw holes and use the 21t 700N gear for low to moderate headspeed.
Good idea though hopefully they aren't discontinued. They are out of stock everywhere here in the UK, but a lot of Align parts are out of stock at the moment so I'm not reading too much into it.
Old 12-15-2016, 01:56 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb30cory View Post
Hello Everyone,

This hasn't affected me quite yet but it did my buddy the other day who stripped out a set of stock 700x tail gears on an overspeed with a little tail chatter due to gain.. went to buy new ones and it seems the stock 22t ratio is no longer available as its being replaced by the "red gears" which have a different auto gear and pinion?

Original Ratio: Auto Gear 104T, Tail Pinion 22T : Ratio 4.72
New Red Gear Ration: Auto Gear 102T, Tail Pinion 23T : Ratio 4.43

So couple questions:

1. Is the original ratio no longer available (discontinued?)
2. Why the lower ratio now? Align cannot just change gear material to a stronger one to keep stock ratio?

I am concerned here because I do not fly high headspeed... 1700 rpm... tail works great @ 4.72 ratio.. I am worried that with the new ratio it will not..

Thoughts guys? who is flying lower headspeed and pushing this new tail ratio?

-Cory

I fly 2000rpm in IU1 and 2250 in IU2 ... Can I have problem with 2000rpm with the red gear ratio ?

Thanks in advance
Old 12-16-2016, 11:43 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by msallua View Post
I fly 2000rpm in IU1 and 2250 in IU2 ... Can I have problem with 2000rpm with the red gear ratio ?

Thanks in advance
2000RPM is what the new ratio is meant for.
Old 12-29-2016, 08:54 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My buddy did a big overspeed, and boy did the heli talk back to him saying, oh no you don't

There's wasn't a tooth left on that gear, lol. He auto'd it safely down, but I would have definitely drove it in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-0-02-04-53ff95ee756dc2d4a5ca5c8cac6e9fba7e3eca94c3ec333cab1cb933ecf7e515-V.jpg
Views:	611
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	685931  
Old 12-29-2016, 10:58 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor90wm View Post
My buddy did a big overspeed, and boy did the heli talk back to him saying, oh no you don't

There's wasn't a tooth left on that gear, lol. He auto'd it safely down, but I would have definitely drove it in.
Your friend should be commended; this is most impressive.
The overspeed is a move that warrants some respect, it puts a lot of strain on the machine.
Old 12-30-2016, 06:02 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

That is the gear I stripped too. My other TT driven heli's have a metal gear at that location. Maybe someone will come up with an upgrade.
RCHN #791, JR Forza 700x4 (one night rig), Align 700x, Synergy E5 stretched to 625, Oxy 5 stretched to 626, Diabolo 700 BE, Diabolo L, Spartan Vortex FBL.

Last edited by Hopester; 12-30-2016 at 06:03 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Hopester is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2016, 07:57 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopester View Post
Maybe someone will come up with an upgrade.
http://www.aligntrexstore.com/102T-M...XX_p_4636.html

This has to be the greatest description ever "Brand new low drive gear ratio with high strength and wear resistance,effectively reduce the tail vibration during speedy rotation keeping well tail lock performance and power output to prevent unexpected structure issue."
Old 01-03-2017, 01:26 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 104/22 or 102/23 gears?

Hey guys! I'm up grading my 700e v2 with the 800mx 520 kv . I'm running 12t pinion 112 main gear . With 700mm main blades & 105 tail. I'd like to have rpm around 2000-2200 I fly intermediate 3D . I ordered all new gears the (red ) ones . Stock autorotation 104/22 and new ones are 102//23 can anyone tell witch would be best for my set up?
Mike Reed is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in