Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > MSH Protos

MSH Protos MSH Protos Helicopter Support Forum

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2013, 11:41 AM   #961 (permalink)
Registered Users

so... finally another rebuild done! this time seems i have done something right lol! stretched protos (with UBER-tight belt) had literally almost 0 tail wag which was quite nice surprise for me! i realised that one of my old pinion screws had stripped so im running it so far without y brace.. (since im just barely doing some flips so far i think ill be ok...)

cant wait to charge batteries and tomorrow give a bit more testing to it!
rimaarts is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2013, 12:14 PM   #962 (permalink)
Registered Users

My protos is flying perfectly, except I can't achieve needed cyclic rotation speed. MiniProtos can rotate very fast even with very low RPM, while protos can't. I modified main frame to solve servo arms binding, but that is still not enough.
Cyclic travel is in the point it can't tilt more, because of binding with main shaft.
With increasing RPM it rotates faster, but I dont want to fly with 3000rpm when 2300 is enough for my protos.
ZeXx86 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2013, 02:02 PM   #963 (permalink)
Registered Users

i actually have question about dampeners... my protos had 3x hard o-rings as dampeners... seemed to fly ok. i got low fbl hub, it came with some strange black soft 'dampeners', i put my orings in but i can feel some slop in them... so is choice between black o-rings and lynx dampeners only? how about some kbdd ones? do they fit?
Old 10-04-2013, 05:20 AM   #964 (permalink)
Registered Users

So...Had 3 more batteries trough my newly stretched protos! All i can say is WOW! If before it seemed 'big' due to low pitch and roll response than now it rolls and shoots up the sky faster than my bl mcpx! I actually nearly killed tree which stands behind me while flying... On first attempt to flip protos, i gave back elevator and usual amount of pitch but instead of rotating on the spot, heli shoot back around 30feet... Turns out now i can flip it with right stick only lol...
Old 10-17-2013, 05:25 AM   #965 (permalink)
Registered Users

ugh... im so happy that protos has such unbreakable landing gear... :/ flew 5 batteries, all perfect... tail a bit strange, but im afraid to polish my tail shaft, so im ok with that...

on 6th battery, around 15' in air, motor just cut out on me.. :/ thanfully i was practicing 1' autos before, so got trough whith danging the tail fin and slight blade strike... esc was just warm, bec just warm, motor usually HOT, all servos cold... waited for a bit, took off again, flies like usually... strange...
Old 10-17-2013, 07:06 AM   #966 (permalink)
Registered Users

Make sure that you aren't having static problems! Do you have your tail boom grounded to the motor?
Old 10-17-2013, 07:47 AM   #967 (permalink)
Registered Users

i have conductive tail case... wasnt the carbon frame conductive? and shouldnt on the static i loose complete control over heli, instead of only motor shutdown? anyways, charging now for second outing later this evening...
Old 10-17-2013, 01:05 PM   #968 (permalink)
Registered Users

wth... again went out, and again lost a motor.... this time couldnt recover and put it on the side, thankfully without headspeed...picked up, dusted it, and flew another 3 batteries without a hitch even feathering shaft seemed straight... (no vibes on tail fin and blade tracking still spot on! wow! one durable heli! )... im stumped...

how do i know if it was static?? i think in case of static, i would loose servos AND/or motor, not motor only, no?
Old 10-17-2013, 07:44 PM   #969 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbefield View Post
sell it !!!
ddhuans is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2013, 07:58 PM   #970 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default What did you do with your PRÔTOS today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddhuans View Post
sell it !!!
Oh no. You'll be back, I know it.
Goblin Speed | iKon
Dr. M is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2013, 09:36 PM   #971 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimaarts View Post
wth... again went out, and again lost a motor.... this time couldnt recover and put it on the side, thankfully without headspeed...picked up, dusted it, and flew another 3 batteries without a hitch even feathering shaft seemed straight... (no vibes on tail fin and blade tracking still spot on! wow! one durable heli! )... im stumped...

how do i know if it was static?? i think in case of static, i would loose servos AND/or motor, not motor only, no?
I'm thinking check you connectors and solder between the ESC and Motor, and also from the lipos to the ESC. Might be getting too much resistance across a poor connection, causing shutdowns. If it were me I would resolder all of those connections. Also check that you do not have any shorting across your motor wires-- which can happen if the motor bullets touch each other thru the insulation.

Chief
BHChieftain is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2013, 09:39 PM   #972 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddhuans View Post
sell it !!!
Can I ask why?
R/C junkie for the past 25 years and counting...
kingmeow is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2013, 07:12 AM   #973 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimaarts View Post
i have conductive tail case... wasnt the carbon frame conductive? and shouldnt on the static i loose complete control over heli, instead of only motor shutdown? anyways, charging now for second outing later this evening...
When I started out with the Protos it did just fine but when the weather dried out I started having all kinds of strange failures until I ran a wire from the tail boom to the motor mount.
Been all good ever since.
You may be having thermal issues with you ESC though. Make sure that it has air flow over it unless its current capacity is overrated for your application.
I don't have my ESC mounted under the battery, partly because it won't fit there, but mainly because that is a very poor place for cooling.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:41 AM   #974 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyuh1 View Post
I don't have my ESC mounted under the battery, partly because it won't fit there, but mainly because that is a very poor place for cooling.
Curious as to where you mount yours? Pic? I *just* mounted mine under the battery as per the manual and I was thinking about cooling issues too though I'm not doing any 3D any time soon.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:21 PM   #975 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. M View Post
Oh no. You'll be back, I know it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmeow View Post
Can I ask why?
Replace it with the Goblin 500 and need a bigger Protos. Waitting for the lower price and later version, which will have some fix or upgrade part, just like MSH did with Protos 500 and 2009 spring upgrade pack before!
ddhuans is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2013, 02:16 PM   #976 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Make sure that you aren't having static problems! Do you have your tail boom grounded to the motor?
tail boom to motor, yeah... i have been asking and asking... how do i say if its static?? 2x times flying another heli, heli simply rolled right without any control.. i think THAT was static...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHChieftain View Post
I'm thinking check you connectors and solder between the ESC and Motor, and also from the lipos to the ESC. Might be getting too much resistance across a poor connection, causing shutdowns. If it were me I would resolder all of those connections. Also check that you do not have any shorting across your motor wires-- which can happen if the motor bullets touch each other thru the insulation.

Chief
i sux at soldering... anderson power poles all around... motor to esc soldering? not the first one i have done and have never had problems... but maybe worth checking...
i have mounted my bullets a bit different height so they dont touch even if they are slightly pulled apart...

Quote:
When I started out with the Protos it did just fine but when the weather dried out I started having all kinds of strange failures until I ran a wire from the tail boom to the motor mount.
Been all good ever since.
You may be having thermal issues with you ESC though. Make sure that it has air flow over it unless its current capacity is overrated for your application.
its england... autumn... if anything, weather is getting wetter, not dryer... im running ice lite 100, and its just barely warm so its not thermalling... after next flying i have to pull some logs....

p.s.in castle forum one guy noticed a thing from one of old logs.. that my motor is putting out only around 25% power, where in hover it should have been 80-85%... maybe that has something to do with it...
Old 10-18-2013, 05:41 PM   #977 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default What did you do with your PRÔTOS today?

Still really enjoying my 500. Changed d/r and expo from 80/30 to 90/20, and wow! Had to up the head speed (gov) from 75 to 80% to keep it from bogging. Fun!
matthewcornell is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2013, 07:53 PM   #978 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmeow View Post
Curious as to where you mount yours? Pic? I *just* mounted mine under the battery as per the manual and I was thinking about cooling issues too though I'm not doing any 3D any time soon.
I have my ESC under the main shaft, the receiver under the boom block and the FBL controller on top of the boom block. I'm old school and still running FM not 2.4 ghz.
Old 10-19-2013, 10:17 AM   #979 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've sold my Protos two years ago because of money. Then I bought MiniProtos and I love it and fly with it to this day. In meantime I bought next (second hand) Protos, then again I sold it. Then again bought another second hand Protos and again sold it
And finally I bought new Protos 500 and I like it with my current setup. But I don't know, why it rotates soooo slooowly. Even when cyclic is in max mechanical limits all rates are maxed.
My MiniProtos can do flips as fast as pirouettes Both are equipped with Edge FBL blades.

So I can't sell my Protos again
ZeXx86 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2013, 04:39 PM   #980 (permalink)
Registered Users

No more selling!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in