Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 700 Class Electric Helicopters

700 Class Electric Helicopters 700 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2014, 05:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 700e v2 feels slow

hey guys i just finished my 700e build, it has stock cc ice 2 120 esc 700mx 510kv, turnigy nanotech 45-90c 5000mah 12s, msh brain fbl.

castle gov at 2100rpm, running 13 degrees pitch + - and it feels pretty sluggish, cyclic is great but power seems lacking. should i dump the 700mx or did i mess something up?

this is my first time flying a 700 or even seeing a 700 fly for that matter so maybe its just me and the 700s dont move anywhere near as quick as smaller birds? wouldnt make sense because they sure look like they move some air on youtube.
avoidthedog is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2014, 07:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The 700MX is an older motor. While it certainly works well, it doesn't hold a candle to todays motor.

The 800MX or 850MX have considerable more power. But, they will necessitate a 160A ESC, especially if you are flying very aggressive 3D.
dchekas is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2014, 08:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default l

i was hoping the 700mx wouldnt be such a turd. just watching videos of the stock 700mx on youtube seems more powerful.

ill get a video tomorrow and see how it looks. most likely will be grabbing an 800mx and phoenix edge 160 i guess. was looking to grab the edge anyway for the rpm out
Old 09-03-2014, 12:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by avoidthedog View Post
hey guys i just finished my 700e build, it has stock cc ice 2 120 esc 700mx 510kv, turnigy nanotech 45-90c 5000mah 12s, msh brain fbl.

castle gov at 2100rpm, running 13 degrees pitch + - and it feels pretty sluggish, cyclic is great but power seems lacking. should i dump the 700mx or did i mess something up?

this is my first time flying a 700 or even seeing a 700 fly for that matter so maybe its just me and the 700s don't move anywhere near as quick as smaller birds? wouldn't make sense because they sure look like they move some air on youtube.
Compared to a 450, a 700 will feel sluggish (no where near as nimble). Tuning your FBL unit pitch ranges and roll rate will help. Surprise you said the cyclic's were great, usually this is the poor point of the 700E.

700 is like an American muscle car, vs your 450 overpowered go-cart. The go-cart can turn quick and with lack of weight can accelerate fast, but the muscle car can blow it away in a race of any reasonable distance. For a simple test, do a simple stall turn or a simple loop with the 700, vs the 450. You will immediately notice what I am talking about (450 peaks out, the 700 still has plenty of reserve).

Remember, your 450 is probably running near 3200 RPM and pushing round 1kg (2lbs). It will be nimble and accelerate quick. Your 700 is a usually lumbering 5kg (11lbs), so takes much more force (about 25 times) to accelerate at the same speed. 700 may not accelerate as quick as a 450, but it will accelerate for MUCH longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchekas View Post
The 700MX is an older motor. While it certainly works well, it doesn't hold a candle to todays motor.

The 800MX or 850MX have considerable more power. But, they will necessitate a 160A ESC, especially if you are flying very aggressive 3D.
I thought the standard motor for a 700E DFC was the 750MX (530kv). It seems to run fine on the CC 120 ICE 2 without cooking it. This should also have more grunt (head room) than the 700MX (510kv). Should also be able to use the same pinion and main gear.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the input archmage! I have cyclic roll rate all the way up in the brain fbl so it felt great right off the bat. I definitely can tell it has more torque and its hard to bog this motor vs the 450 like you said. The problem is it seems so slow on pitch pumps ect it really takes the heli a long time to get high up or across the field. Its not as fun as having it be overpowered to hammer on and watch the thing scoot across the field
Old 09-03-2014, 11:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Thanks for the input archmage! I have cyclic roll rate all the way up in the brain fbl so it felt great right off the bat. I definitely can tell it has more torque and its hard to bog this motor vs the 450 like you said. The problem is it seems so slow on pitch pumps ect it really takes the heli a long time to get high up or across the field. Its not as fun as having it be overpowered to hammer on and watch the thing scoot across the field
Odd thing is that my 700 DFC with 13 +/- pitch (rail blades) with the 750MX (2150 head speed), although not as light and nimble as my X5, will give it a run for it's money on cross field sprint (or vertical climb race). Pitch pumps, the 700 is not on par with the X5 as trying to reverse momentum on that much weight takes time. (This is actually an advantage on tic-tocs). But give the 700 the extra second or two and it keeps accelerating past the smaller heli's top speed.

If you are not bogging and then you can add more pitch or greater surface area blades to get more "pop". (just be sure to add larger tail blades too as the increased torque can cause blow out).
Old 09-03-2014, 12:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

as long as you are not bogging, the 700MX is fine.

the head speed and the pitch will dictate how fast the heli is, up to the point that the motor bogs.

make sure your collective is centered at zero. and try inverted punch out to see if you've got the pitch range shifted.

how did you measure your head speed? if you are using castle gov, make sure you are using the correct gear ratio for the V2 its 9.333.check the castle logs and look at the throttle signal to see if you have proper head room.
Lynx
el guapo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2014, 08:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Done and done, i have .2 degrees of positive at center and 13 degrees pitch positive and negative. Feels very even in flight. Castle gov is set 9.33 but i did realize i only set it to 2000rpm headspeed. Will 2100 wake it up at all? With current gearing i dont think itll give enough overhead to do 2200.

Ill post a flight log tomorrow maybe somethings going on im not noticing.
Old 09-04-2014, 12:24 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

this was me 2 years ago, with the 700MX.. I think I was running 2000 RPM

Greg_20120505_2.mp4 (5 min 2 sec)
Lynx
el guapo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2014, 08:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the video! Great flying.

Looks pretty close to what mine is, guess the 700mx is a little slower than i thought, although plenty enough do what i need it to.

Unreal how much more time you have to think on the 700, its like everything is happening in slow motion vs the 450 and 150
Old 09-04-2014, 08:50 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

Unreal how much more time you have to think on the 700, its like everything is happening in slow motion vs the 450 and 150
Don't let the illusion fool you.......
Bonkievan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in