Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Newbies: Tips and Information

Newbies: Tips and Information Section of HF, specifically for Passing along info to newcomers to the hobby. Setup, tweaking, orientation practice, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2004, 10:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Newbie Update

After tips from here and countless hours on RealFlight, I got up the nerve to do a little hovering up to about 3' for a few minutes before my nerves couldn't take it anymore. A few more days on RealFlight, a complete going over from my friends at Airtronics, and a couple short hover tests and the confidence was really high. I took a trip to a local school to fire up the bird (Concept 30).

My buddy's suggested a few adjustments that I did before lifting off and man did it feel stable. I took her up to about 35-40' and did some sliding front/back left/right. It really felt good and was easy to control. As the sun was going down I lost too much detail and couldn't make out subtle angle changes so I brought her down close and did low altitude hovers for a while.

My nerves weren't nearly as bad as the first few tests. Hours on RealFlight really make all the difference in the world. I would certainly never recommend trying to fly a heli without getting RealFlight G2, at least the Lite version.
KerryG is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2004, 06:47 AM   #2 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Nice job. If your just starting out I would keep it low. That way if you end up a little disoriented your ship has a shorter distance to the ground.
Matthew is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2004, 10:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
Thread Starter Thread Starter

True, but at the same time, closer to the ground leaves less margin of error. I'm not quite ready for the transition to full forward flight yet, need to go to a bigger field too. The C30 was even more stable than the RealFlight Impala 30 (or so it seemed) which meant all my sim practice was really paying off on the real thing.

Many thanks to all the tips and encouragement!
Old 04-22-2004, 08:19 PM   #4 (permalink)

My HF Map location

KerryG

Before you go into forward flight do your self a big favor and learn nose in. It makes FF so much easier. Put the training gear on and go at it on the ground. It would probably take a couple of tanks to get it but it will pay off big time when your in FF. After you get tail and nose in down your learning curve will sore. I tried FF flight before nose in and ended up with a heli staring at me and I not knowing were to tell it to go. Luck I was high enough to recover and set it down. After that I didn't do it again till I knew what to do if it happened again.
Matthew is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2004, 11:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

work a hovering box Kerry...
right,stop,forward,stop,left,stop,back,stop,right. ..etc....This helps in control...
Sorry, I would agree with Mathew...Stay low...your thinking is right(high flying), but you need to stay low...Baby steps...
Second... practice on RF then go out and see how long you can do a stable sideways hover...right side facing you then left side...it is harder than you think and is a Major Key in orientation when you are flying past you.
Then...practice nose in. I started with the traing gear on. I couldnt turn it nose in in the air so I spun it around on the gruound nose in and slowly dipped the tail back(so it doesnt come after you...from experience) and then slowly lift here up... give it inputs to keep it stable.. if you get nervous or want to set it down... hurry and spin it around tail in then you have complete "familiar" control again....
Remember.... BABY STEPS and most of all ORIENTATION....

ThBrtmn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2004, 01:25 AM   #6 (permalink)

All good advice. I was doing a small box pattern (or was starting to) and a gust of wind got things a little out of control and I over-corrected. Broke the landing gear and busted up the main rotor blades. Not really sure where to get replacements. I have been hunting around and cant find anyone that sells blades and landing gear AND takes paypal.
Old 04-23-2004, 08:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I dont know about paypal... but you can find blades all over the place...
Maybe someone who knows who uses paypal will chime in...
Being able to hover in a stationary spot is very important since that is where you start and stop.
Dont let the wind scare you... the best thing to do is JUST hover in the wind to get a feel for it... Put the nose into the wind...tail facing you and just sit there and hover with the gusts. If the wind goes to pick it up push forward a little and bring it back to where you want to hover....
When I was hovering I was told by my instructor-Clintstone- to not let it get more than 3 feet off the ground... CONTROL THE HOVER...
All what Im saying may seem redundant but it is very important to learn... Honestly, this is the hard part...learning control and orientation... once you to the point where you will be able to fly around... and it will come...just be patient...
Then it seems like the door was opened and you really start to have fun and learn quicker... you just have to COMPLETELY make it to that point first....

ThBrtmn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2004, 08:25 AM   #8 (permalink)

Rick's RC has blades:
http://www.rcheli.com/

They take PayPal also !
Hotshot Charlie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2004, 10:51 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks, ordered a few blades and a new set of landing gear.
Old 05-22-2004, 06:02 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

So how's the concept after the rebuild? My first few mishaps killed my confidence... but getting back in the air quick will help to get past it. I hope all is well
Dan Lewis is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2004, 06:10 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Nice article

KerryG - that's a great article your wrote there at your site.
Dan Lewis is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in