Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > For Sale Forums – KNOW your buyer/seller ratings! No Price bashing. NO FIREARMS > Stolen, Ripoffs and Scammer alerts

Stolen, Ripoffs and Scammer alerts Post your theft, scammed, ripped off reports here

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2010, 07:40 PM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

That's what paypal is for...protection.

Of course, one should always use common sense in their dealings and never do something they're not conformable with.
T3chDad is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2010, 08:11 PM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just wish Google Checkout had been first to the party. I personally think it is a better system for both the buyer and seller. Paypal is so popular (since Ebay actually owns and promotes their use) that is almost impossible to do business with out their service.
Tennessee-drifter Heli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2010, 09:46 PM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3chDad View Post
No...not correct. NEVER ship without having been paid first.

1) Post your item.
2) Agree to terms over PM/EMail with buyer.
3) You send buyer your pp address.
4) Buyer pays you.
5) You ship.
6) Buyer receives.
7) You leave each other feedback.

Hope this helps...
This is definitely helpful. I appreciate it. But one question.....how do you know how much shipping is gonna cost until you ship it? Do you go to the Post Office and get a price then tell them and then they pay it?

Sorry for the stupid question.

Thanks

Daniel
Lottomunch is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2010, 11:39 PM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lottomunch View Post
.....how do you know how much shipping is gonna cost until you ship it? Do you go to the Post Office and get a price then tell them and then they pay it?
Estimate shipping with the postal calc: http://postcalc.usps.gov/

Personally, I always include shipping and PP fees in my price....but that's just me. I do it that way because that's what I like to see when I'm shopping.
T3chDad is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2010, 11:54 AM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default PayPal Fees

Although I usually sell on the other site, I always advertise (and follow through) of paying for the PayPal fees (actually deducted from PayPal payment) and never use the "gift" options. This keeps everyone honest and protects the innocent people from scammers. Another option the scammers use is a trade. It's hard to collect something from someone who, either doesn't exist, or doesn't have the item for trade.
"If it's too good to be true, then it isn't." As it's been said before, "just pay the fees!"

RC400
rc400 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2011, 08:26 PM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

There is no need anymore.. they now charge fees for "gift" as well
Old 01-11-2011, 06:28 AM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Actually, if you pay with a balance, and choose any "personal" option no one pays fees. If you don't have a balance they charge more...
RCHO Flying Field, Knightdale NC
lazor 22 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2011, 10:28 PM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Shaggy,

You said it, bro. I just bought a heli, and the seller said paypal was in the price. Easy enough. I used to hate PayPal as I knew they had a billion$ idea...and want a key into everyone's checking account. However, they have let me use them without ACH, and now I consider them like buying gas with a credit card. In every transaction, the buyer pays all costs. Happy hovering!

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggybirdman View Post
in your above rant. if you pay $103 you did just pay there fee.
hiwattheli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2011, 01:02 PM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Fee

As I see it when I send as a gift, I pay the fee rather than the seller. Is that not correct? I may not be covered insurance wise.

Bob
http://www.youtube.com/user/cdnskydog
skydog is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2011, 01:24 PM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

If you send payment as a gift you have no protection. If I sold you a $1000 dollar RTF Trex 500 and you send payment as a gift....I could NOT send you anything but a smiley face and you'd have no recourse through paypal whatsoever. I can't help but think that a court of law would also find it odd that payment was sent as a 'gift'. If payment was a 'gift'....what more than a 'thank you' could you expect in return?

DO NOT SEND PAYMENTS AS A GIFT!!!!
GunnyGlow is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2011, 11:01 AM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

If you send as "gift" or anything under the "personal" menu, they charge the fee if it does not come out of your paypal balance. Only if you have a paypal balance does the fee get waived. If not, the fee is more then just "goods".
RCHO Flying Field, Knightdale NC
lazor 22 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2011, 08:50 PM   #52 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think the sell should pay the fee know matter what because they are the ones making the money and its a sellers fee.
corradoblue is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2012, 12:58 PM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sorry, when I see these ads saying funds are to be sent as a "gift" I just laugh as it's not that hard to sell something and get the price you want.

If a seller wants to sell something set your price + shipping instead of saying it has to be sent as a gift to avoid fees...etc

Such a conflict of "sale" criteria and for those that actually sent funds as a gift I hope you get what you pay for, since it's not a "gift"
DesJardins is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2012, 03:22 PM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default covering yourself

I read on an earlier post by MTDV, about how he got screwed over badly by the seller (Eric...memo to me, never deal with this guy).
Anyway, some would say there is nothing you can do about that, but IF...big if...IF you pay with your credit card, your purchase is insured by the credit card company. So, If you do not get the services or products you were supposed to get, you can dispute the charges...with all the evidence of the wrong doing MTDV had, he most likely would have gotten his money back. The dispute process is not a simple one, but it's definitely worth a shot if you get scammed and didn't get what you paid for. What ends up happening is the credit card TAKES the money back from PayPal and PayPal in turn TAKES the money back from the sorry SOB that scammed you. I've never had to go through a dispute and it doesn't always work on your favor, but its definitely worth a shot.

This is just an FYI for those of you that weren't aware of this...Also, in case you do have to dispute something, it is a good idea to keep copies of conversations, photos, receipts and anything else that can be used as proof of the transaction/scam. In MTDVs case, I'm certain he would have gotten his money back.

I hope this information is helpful to anyone who gets scammed.

Noob, so I don't have a fleet...lol, but I hope to one day.
lebaez is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 12:44 PM   #55 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Why Sellers Shouldn't want to use the "Gift" option

I was talking with MasterCard on an unrelated subject but decided to ask them a question about how they handle disputes with a private part from both a seller and buyers perspective.

They told that if you are a buyer and in good standing with MC all you have to do is call them up and tell them you didn't get what was claimed by the seller and they'll put a hold on the funds until it's worked out. The buyer just needs to forward a copy of the ad and explain what was wrong and they'll have you send the item back. When the seller get's it they'll refund the money.

That's not bad at all but if you are a seller, here's the bad one. If a buyer pays you via PayPals "gift" option (or some other way but uses a credit card) and calls and says the the seller never delivered then the seller will have to prove that not only did he send it but that it was received and who signed for it. If the seller can't come up with exactly who signed for it MC will refund the buyers money. You as a seller will have to do ALL the legwork yourself to get this resolved.

On the other hand, if you use the "goods" option, ship the package to the address that the buyer specifies in the Paypal payment and you require a signature. You are fully protected and paypal will deal with the CC company on your behalf and will get them to drop the claim since they have proof it was delivered. MasterCard are the ones who told me this. So, I called Paypal to confirm and they told me the same.

So, using the "gift" option can be bad for both buyer and seller. Personally, I'd rather deal with Paypal than my CC company and despite all the urban legends about how bad Paypal is I've done thousands of transactions with them and never once had a problem that wasn't my own fault.

So, as a seller, I'll gladly pay the "goods" fee to get the Paypal protection. Not to mention that I won't compromise my integrity by asking buyers to lie to Paypal just so I can save a few cents or a few bucks.
some multirotor stuff w/ AutoQuad6, Naza, APM, PX4, and full size Exec162F and a T210 just for fun!
recurry is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2014, 11:25 AM   #56 (permalink)

My HF Map location
Default Do not buy something through paypal as a gift...

These are the steps I take whenever I purchase something from the Classifieds:

1. Reply to the thread saying you sent a PM.
2. A some point, the earlier the better, quote the original message in a reply.
3. Click the pic and save it to your computer in case the OP removes it after the sale.
4. I prefer to pay and get paid by invoice. NEVER SEND PAYMENT AS A GIFT
5. Take screenshots of the thread. This is helpful in case the OP edits the original information.
6. Save your PM exchange.

It's all about making as good a case for yourself as you can. If you end up filing a PP dispute, you will need to provide evidence to support your claim.
__________________________________________________ __________________

The following transaction and PM exchange went smoothly, there were no problems as you can see. I've included the PM exchange and screenshots of the thread as examples of what I would provide to PP in a dispute. Also you can see the original pic uploaded by me, as I saved it from the original post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob O
Okay, sounds good. I'll let you know when it arrives. Have a good weekend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpaw44
Bob O Thanks, that would be great I would like some decals. I will get it out Monday and send it Priority mails so you will get it quickly. Thanks Again, Alex

Quote:
Payment sent. Thank you.

Need a couple of HF decals? I'll gladly send a couple to you next week.

Please send the radio to my Paypal address:

Robert O'Connor
1012 Pine Street
Negaunee, MI 49866

Thanks again!

Bob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpaw44
Thank you, invoice sent!

Quote:
Please send me a Paypal invoice for the $37.50

My paypal ID is bob@oconnor-negaunee.us

Thank you!!

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SSproof.jpg (70.9 KB, 268 views)
File Type: jpg DX4e.JPG (68.8 KB, 287 views)
Old 09-28-2014, 09:04 PM   #57 (permalink)
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyster View Post
There is no need anymore.. they now charge fees for "gift" as well
They only charge fees for the gift option if you dont have the funds already in your paypal account and have to draw them from another source attached to your PP account.
kavic5150 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2014, 08:52 PM   #58 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default How-To?

I have some micro helis to sell and this forum looks like a good place to do it.

However, I've never sold anything here before - is there a How-To explaining the correct procedure and "Best Practices" somewhere? (I searched but could not find one - this thread is the closest one I could find.)

I have a PayPal account and it sounds like this is the way to go, but I'm not sure how to to go about doing this.

Any help would be appreciated!

Jeff Roberson in Salt Lake City Utah

Edit: I only read the first page of this thread - looks like there is some good info later on - reading whole thing now...
ridge-runner is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2017, 01:18 PM   #59 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default paypal.me bad!!!

I realize this is an older thread but there is a new scam in paypal. It is the "paypal.me" situation. This is a friends and family payment just like a gift payment and this method will not offer the buyer any protection under PayPal. usually this will be a link provided from the seller will look like paypal.me/username/dollar amount for example "paypal.me/johndoe/200" this is the gift payment to that user. BEWARE There is no Buyer protection if this method is used!!!!

Greg
Old 06-15-2017, 04:47 PM   #60 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by imq707s View Post
Also...for those of you who add an extra fee to your item to cover the PayPal fee....if someone reports to paypal that you tried to charge them extra to cover YOUR fee...PayPal will drop you in a heartbeat.
If you add the fee to the price before the sale, then no one will ever know. In fact when I price an item on ebay I add part of my mortgage payment and utility bill, shipping costs, PayPal and Ebay fees, office supply charge and an extra buck to super-size my next meal at McDonalds without anyone knowing.
izak and Roadkinghd like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in