Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Antique Out of Production and Vintage Helicopters > Heli-Max Helicopters

Heli-Max Helicopters Heli-Max Helicopter Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2011, 07:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default main gear shake

is it possible that my main gear from my axe 400 3d has become warped and causing a vibration in my heli, i have rebuilt after a crash, main shaft was slightly bent as well as feathering shaft etc, and now i have a vibration that i can see mainly in the boom supports and tail fin, i have ballanced the head and all is well there but if i run the heli without the head the vibration is there, the only thing i can think of is the main gear, what do you think?

Last edited by anthony1; 03-06-2011 at 09:23 PM.. Reason: didn't say what type of heli
anthony1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2011, 12:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Had a crash on mine the other day. Nothing major, just a roll near the ground. But to my surprise the main and feathering were both bent. If you have any doubt, replace them. There are some who have a way to straighten feathering shafts that are not to bad. If you search you can find the info.

Also check the frame for cracks. If you hit just right (or wrong in this case) or hard enough, the frame may take the hit and crack.

Good luck.
Blade Buyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2011, 07:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

hey, so i removed the head and only have the tail connected and wheni run it up the boom vibrates badly, i have changed the main gear and the main shaft but cannot find where the vibration is coming from, i'm thinking now that it might be in the tail area
Old 03-07-2011, 07:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

OK. I read your post again and agree that your problem may be in the tail. I am having tail issues with mine as well. I ordered a new drive shaft after a tail first crash. The old one looks OK but as long as I was getting parts, well you know how that goes.
Anyway, depending on the severity of your last crash, the tail could be the vibration culprit.
I do not know of any method to balance the tail except order a new shaft and install. Maybe there is a video or someone with the goods on servicing the Axe tail. It could help both of us.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default main gear shake

Gentlemen,
If you think the problem is in the tail,
1. The belt. the crash could have ground out a spot or spots in the belt grooves?
2. The Tail Rotor Shaft. could be bent/ damaged teeth. causing the vibration?
3. The Tail Rotor Gear Case Assy cracked/damaged. allowing flexing of assy?
4. The Secondary Tail Belt Drive Gear w/pulley. damaged teeth ?

You can loosen the four screws in the frame for the boom mount. slide boom forward to release tension on belt. You can disasemble the tail rotor gear case assembly with out removing the boom.
Attached is a copy of the Align Trex- 450XL which has the same tail setup.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf T-Rex 450 XL ccpm manual.pdf (846.5 KB, 75 views)
Old 03-08-2011, 09:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

hello, my vibration seems to be mainly in the boom, i have changed most of the tail bits just to see, i also disasembled the body and found one of the main bearings is gritty as well as the bottom one on the idler shaft, i have ordered them and will have to wait to see if that makes a difference,
Old 03-08-2011, 11:37 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

anthony1,
Guess your waiting on parts like I am. Ordered from RC Planet out of Utah.They said they would ship the next day but that didn't happen until 3 days later. A week later and still no parts. They had a great selection, just poor shipping. Same with Hobby King.
If you find a faster outfit that ships let me know. Or at least an honest one about their dates.

DF,
Thanks. I did not know those tails were interchangeable.That may make getting parts for the Axe a little easier. Cool.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

tower hobbies are very fast with teir shipping and i just ordered parts from hobby zone they had everything for the axe, 99% of trex 450 v2 stuff will fit the only thing that doesnt is the swash plate but all the head parts fit,and the tail, not sure about the maingears and idler gears, i have started to upgrade the head on mine and they are a direct replacement
Old 03-08-2011, 04:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

UPS guy came about an hour ago. The tail shaft came in a package of two. I may work on the bird later or over the next couple of days.

Thanks for the info about the Align crossover parts. I will have to do a slow upgrade on mine as well. And I have used Tower before with good results. RC Planet had the parts for my E-flite stuff, Heli-Max 400 for my friends Align 450. Just thought I had found a one stop shop (web-site) for parts.Oh well, the hunt goes on.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Blade Buyer,
ONE STOP SHOP! Never, bargins are all other the map.
E-flite = www.hopmeup.com Good prices, fair shipping prices, fast service.
Align = www.helidirect.com fair prices, good shipping prices ( starting at $2.60), fast shipping
There are many others, depends on item.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Desert Fox, I added those sites to my list and will give them a try. Thanks again.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:36 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

managed to get rid of my vibration, turned out to be the main bearings, i changed them last night, i ordered from hobby zone and it came within 2 days, and tried it this morning and its as good as its always been, the old bearings although there was no real play in them one of them felt very gritty so i'm assuming that it had broken down, anyway maybe this will be of help to someone with a similar problem
anthony

Last edited by anthony1; 03-11-2011 at 08:55 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 03-11-2011, 11:11 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Good job anthony1, My friend has the same vibration in his Trex 450. We will check those bearing as well based on your info. These sites are so cool for diagnostic info.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:56 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

glad to be of assistance
Old 03-11-2011, 09:55 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Axe flies again. Had to move the tail servo into the correct position on the boom. Thanks for the help. Both of you.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:16 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

ok, i have finally given up with my axe and ordered a trex, i fixed the vibration using main bearings and tail drive gears, flew 2 times and the vibration is back worse than ever, the 2 parts i have just replaced have broken down, if i want to get them replaced under warranty i have to send the parts back to helimax with my receipt and they will replace them, all this will probably take 2 weeks, i have spent more time trying to fix the problems by upgrading the inferior parts with align parts and i have now had enough, so i have trex 450 head and tail assemblies that are a direct replacement for heli max parts for sale
Old 03-15-2011, 05:19 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

You could just keep the parts you have on hand for the 450 and have spares for your new bird. Or buy a CF frame with a shaft drive and input your tail and head parts into that project. May as well get use of what you have on hand.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:31 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

i did think about that, the parts i have are different to the sport version but might make a good project for my son, the axe flew really well i am just disappointed in the quality of the parts, if they could get that right i think they would be onto a winner
Old 03-15-2011, 11:37 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah I know,the all plastic thing can wear on you. I've been looking at an EXI for my next bird. It has a CF shaft drive frame with a CNC head and tail kit for about $85. Then add electronics. Maybe $300 tops. A lot of guy's give them .
Good luck with your 450. Let me know how the maiden goes.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:29 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

well i flew i today, twice both without incident, in fact i didn't need to adjust anything, even the tracking was spot on, i only hovered in my front garden but it still feels more solid than the axe, i'm not knocking the axe i still liked the way it flew,but my lhs doesn't carry parts for it and as i am still in the learning to nose in stage parts need to be available quickly, i have a furion 450 too and while i only hover that tail in (too scared to do anything else yet) this is a step up from the trex it is so stable and sounds like a sewing machine, good luck with your project, i have sent the bearings and idler shaft back to helimax for replacement so i may one day get it back in the air(or i might let my son have a go)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in