Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Skookum Robotics

Skookum Robotics Skookum Robotics SK-360 SK-540 & SK-720 Digital Flybar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2012, 03:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Is the power bus really needed for SK540?

I don't really know of any other FBL unit that has a separate power bus requirement. Just got an SK540 to run on my N5C nitro and I have 3 x 8717s and 1 x MKS DS760 tail servo. I've ran this heli on BeastX and Vbar and all was fine as far as amp draw.

So since the power bus does up to 20A, what is the SK540 unit capable of doing on its own?

belcom is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2012, 04:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Vlad, i would think you would be fine without it with that heli and set up. I would be very very interested in your thoughts to the gyro though. I may replace my 720 for 1 on the 7hv....
Old 05-10-2012, 12:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

i spoke to skookum about this, im running mine on a g4, bls255hv on cyclics, bls256hv on the tail, direct 2s lipo, and was told to use the powerbus, admitadly im beating the crap out of it, but was told to use it due to the amps
http://www.youtube.com/user/squeakypete1?feature=mhum
troubledpetey is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2012, 09:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by troubledpetey View Post
i spoke to skookum about this, im running mine on a g4, bls255hv on cyclics, bls256hv on the tail, direct 2s lipo, and was told to use the powerbus, admitadly im beating the crap out of it, but was told to use it due to the amps
Yes, that is what they suggest. But question is do you really need one? I am not too sure about that.

Heathy, I am trying one because the black Vbar I have is not playing nice with the nitro and SK540 supposed to be very tolerant to vibes as well as have a decent governor for nitro. So I will be trying it out to see if the claims are true. I've never had one of the Skookum units as Vbar and BeastX have always performed really well for me but this time I took a chance with the black sensored Vbar and it didn't work out quite as well as I had hoped. I am not too excited to be honest because I know nothing about setup of these new SK540s and have a feeling it'll take a while to figure out the setup with switchglo and governor etc.

Old 05-10-2012, 12:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think that the power bus thing is a dead trend. You don’t see many of them any more and no other brand uses them. I will not be using a power buss on my 700 size heli.

RC Mike is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2012, 01:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Power Bus

The Power Bus is a good idea on a heli like troubledpetey's since he's running full HV servos and a direct 2S, and flying hard 3D. Anything less than that setup will be ok without the power bus.

The main uses for the power bus with the 540 are to run different voltages on the cyclic and tail, or to run 2 BEC leads into the 540 while using both SBus and the governor.
Skookum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2012, 03:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sorry to chirp in - Just ordered a sk540 to replace my 3gx on 600LE. I have a 2in1 perfect regulator power setup installed which have 2 power wires like the cc bec pro. Do the sk540 accept 2 power inputs?
Bking1340 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2012, 05:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by belcom View Post
Yes, that is what they suggest. But question is do you really need one? I am not too sure about that.

Heathy, I am trying one because the black Vbar I have is not playing nice with the nitro and SK540 supposed to be very tolerant to vibes as well as have a decent governor for nitro. So I will be trying it out to see if the claims are true. I've never had one of the Skookum units as Vbar and BeastX have always performed really well for me but this time I took a chance with the black sensored Vbar and it didn't work out quite as well as I had hoped. I am not too excited to be honest because I know nothing about setup of these new SK540s and have a feeling it'll take a while to figure out the setup with switchglo and governor etc.
troubledpetey is your man using a switchglo and gov as far as i'm aware so probabaly best to ask him if stuck! Setup should be very easy just follow the wizards, childs play
Old 05-11-2012, 10:40 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I got some assistance from one of Skookum's team pilots, should be good to go. Just waiting for the unit to show up in the mail.

Heathy, I'll let you know how it works out.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by belcom View Post
I got some assistance from one of Skookum's team pilots, should be good to go. Just waiting for the unit to show up in the mail.

Heathy, I'll let you know how it works out.
Excellent. Glad you touched base with Alvin.

I'm really looking forward to your feedback. I love my SK units
Jeff_Barrett is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in