Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics > 2.4G Spektrum Radios

2.4G Spektrum Radios Spektrum 2.4 Gigahertz Radios and Technology

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2012, 12:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Programing DX8 on PC

I just bought a DX8 the other day and after several hours of programming for all my helis I found myself wondering why there isn't a PC based programing interface. The SPM files are extremely simple, sure doesn't seem like it would be much of a hardship to whip up an interface. You could manage all your different models and even keep version histories in case you liked a setting you made 3 versions ago.

For that matter, it seems pretty ridiculous that it doesn't have a USB interface. Hello 1997!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2
triver525 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2012, 12:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I agree but i think someone else than spektrum will have to stand up and see this project as a challange
leex70 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 12:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=405259

Just slightly down the page from this thread...

Project is currently view-only, but editing is on the wishlist.
DX8 + Telemetery on all
JoeW is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 04:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Usually I absolutely love Horizon Hobby products but it's a pretty poor showing when someone takes it upon themselves to do something to fill such an obvious gap. The level of effort that HH would have to undertake to put something like this out is incredibly small.

At the end of the day I'll just shut up and be happy with the fact that the DX8 is a great radio and forget about the OBVIOUS upgrades that could be done to make it better.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have to disagree on that in part. Their purpose for model export is for backup and for sharing between the same radio type.

Start editing it outside the radio and you introduce so many unknowns. And open up so many more problems for support.

I think they did us a favor by making the files straight forward enough to easily understand so the community could pick it up and running with it without needing extra development or support.
DX8 + Telemetery on all
JoeW is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 10:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I can see your point but the same could possibly be said for FBL controllers and other programmable devices. Some of them have PC based programming interfaces which gives the user the option to use scenario based programming rather than tweaking individual parameters. It would certainly make the programming a lot more accessible to people with less experience (or less interest) with programming.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by triver525 View Post
I can see your point but the same could possibly be said for FBL controllers and other programmable devices. Some of them have PC based programming interfaces which gives the user the option to use scenario based programming rather than tweaking individual parameters. It would certainly make the programming a lot more accessible to people with less experience (or less interest) with programming.
So you think the radio should be able to program itself based upon a scenario instead of the specific parameters? So the ppl with less experience or desire wouldnt have to think? Is there some function in the radio that you cant do easily without a PC program to interface with it?
Im kind of at a loss as to what it is you are expecting.
HELIFREAK !!!
aerocal is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 11:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Dx8 is my first TX but I will say with that scroll wheel it is practically point and click like a PC. It's pretty easy to navigate and change parameters.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in