Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Thunder Tiger 30/50

Thunder Tiger 30/50 Raptor 30, Raptor 50 Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2009, 05:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Why so few Raptors??

I recently attended the Southern Rotary Classic in Mount Pleasant, TX with my Raptor 50V2. The event had over 100 pilots and even more helis in attendance. It was a great event, BTW. However, I noticed the dwindling Raptor pilots and the over abundance of T-Rex pilots. As was stated in the thread about the E620, the ratio of Align birds to other brands in general was about 10:1.

I even had a pro pilot tell me directly to my face that though the Raptor is a good heli, if I flew a T-Rex 600, I would want to get rid of my Rappy and buy a T-Rex. On the flip side, I did speak with a Raptor pilot there that told me he's flown a T-Rex and prefers the Raptor over the T-Rex.

I love my Raptor and don't see what all the fuss of a T-Rex is about, as I've never flown one. When I stepped up to my Rappy from my Hirobo Shuttle ZXX .30, my skills progressed so much faster than ever before.

Why are the T-Rex's so popular and the Raptor's popularity waning? Is there something that great about a T-Rex that the Raptors are lacking?
AMA #909181
http://www.davisbridgeaeromodelers.com
Thunder Tiger Mini Titan E325, Thunder Tiger Raptor 50 V2, Hirobo Shuttle ZXX, e-Flite Blade mCX, & more. I've got too many helis..Naaa..Never.
mydartswinger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2009, 06:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Its lighter, cheaper, and has more throw in the head.

Not saying I like it better, just answering your question.

I think the Titan SE head will take a bit of market back, we'll see.
http://www.jaxrc.com
BarracudaHockey is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2009, 07:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

It has been pointed out that the following criteria should not be the basis for buying a new heli that you don't INTEND to crash but......

Trex's are weak as poo and the quality is often even poopier (is that a word?)

A minor crash will generally end up costing you lots more than the equivalent crash with a Raptor. Yeah, sure the parts are cheap(ish) but when you have to replace twice as much every time you prang it, then price doesn't really help.
archiebald is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2009, 09:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

There is nothing great about the Trex's. I have seen many people at my field get frustrated with the constant problems with them. The Trex is more popular because parts are more readily available, and its also the whole jump on the bandwagon thing. New guys that come into this hobby see alot of Align followers and soon enough they follow suit as well, for fear of being left out of the popular group. Raptors don't have as many fans, but I can tell you now, that the Raptor pilots are dedicated to their helis and stick with them. Raptors are going to make a comeback with the new verison that is out now. They did a good job in redesigning and I feel this is just the beginning. Don't listen to all the hype or let it bother you that there are more Trexs out there. Fly what you like and don't listen to everything you hear about the Trex. Raptors are a great heli and are very dependable, so just stick with it and enjoy it.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Weaker Marketing

I would personally choose a Raptor 50 Titan SE over a Trex 600!
Old 10-13-2009, 05:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Just be glad. Why on earth anyone would want to have the same thing as everyone else is beyond me. I have nothing against the T-rex 600 itself, I wanted one when it came out. Everyone else having one makes me want one less. I too read about Raptors being a relic, something to be avoided until I ended up with one. Having done the conversion to get the greater collective range, I am very happy with it. I see no other 50 out there that I would just have to have. My next helicopter will be a 90.
700 size scale Bell Jet Ranger 206BIII, 450 size scale UH-1N, 180 size fpv race/freestyle quad w/Fatshark Dominator V3 goggles, mCPX BL, some edf jets and a plank or two, DX8, AMA# 923167, Clubs: Silver Hills RC, Coeur D Alene Modelers Association
JasonJ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2009, 05:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

What about the Vibe50? How would it fit in the mix??
GunnyGlow is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2009, 09:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Seems like most heli pilots have addictive personalities and are driven by marketing and having to have "the next best new product". After getting the kinks in my raptor worked out I don't see myself needing a t600 especially since I sure as heck can't wring out my raptor 50 yet.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:16 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnyGlow View Post
What about the Vibe50? How would it fit in the mix??
The vibe is a great heli but it's a little pricey and parts prices are comparable to a 90 size heli yet still popular here in Oz! It's funny how alot of people say the raptor is too heavy when the vibe weighs more but flys beautifully. as can a well set up raptor I might add!

The Trex is not all it's cracked up to be by those who own one but it is not all bad either, just watch Bert or Tariq getting the best of them! I agree that they are a bit fragile, but so is a Synergy or Aurora and most would be stoked to fly either of them.
Ely.Q Vision 50
NitroAl is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2009, 07:20 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The Vibe 50 is a very nice heli, mine weighs in right between my 600 and Titan.

Quality is higher than either but its also more expensive. It grooves like the heavier Raptor (with none of the pitchyness) and gets around its axis as fast as the Trex. Most of its stock pieces would be considered upgrades on other kits and about the only useless thing in the box are the tail blades.
http://www.jaxrc.com
BarracudaHockey is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2009, 04:40 PM   #11 (permalink)

I too was almost swayed towards the T600 before opting for the Titan SE. What won the argument for me was the fact that my club has members who still have original versions of the Raptor 50 and they are still going strong.
Debrooker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2009, 01:25 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had a retail shop for years and started selling the Raptor when they were 1st becoming popular. Back then pretty much everyone had a Raptor. They have come a long way and in my opinion are still the mainstream bird to have. Although I have everything from a T-Rex, Mikado, to a Hirobo, the Raptors are still a quality piece. What's better? The simple fact that I won't jump ship from My Raptor's to exclusively fly an Align or whatever. I like the fact that I might be the only one flying an older name in Heli's. Thunder Tiger won't allow their reputation to be bumped by the others. You'll see, when the fad of the new birds gets old, people will gravitate back to what is tried and true.
Old 10-24-2009, 02:47 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Raptor Fan.
Two Raptor 90se and a beater Trex 600n. My Trex even havs the TT 53 redline in it LOL. Love them all The Raptors are like tanks they can take a beaten and keep on flying.
spames is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2009, 09:44 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I know this response is late, but had to write something here too. I went to my local hobby shops and both have quit selling the Raptors. They carry all of the Trex stuff though. I do have a Trex 450 that I love, but I also have a Raptor 30 v1 that I bought and built in June of 2000 that I still fly. Both of my hobby shops say that Raptor parts are getting harder to get, even the v2. I dont know whether to believe this or not since they just seem to be pushing the Align. One even told me he still has a Raptor 30 v2 that has been sitting on the shelf a full year. He says once its gone he is not getting anymore. Wonder if I could get a deal on it hmmmm. I believe this is one of the biggest problems...when your local walk in shops quit selling the parts it makes it more of a pain. When i want something, I want it TODAY. Waiting for a shipment sucks. So people buy what is stocked. Sad but true.
randito is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2009, 10:24 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I’ve been watching this thread but because I have been only flying a Raptor for a year or so now did not really want to comment until I saw the statement made about parts. I can’t believe that the parts are becoming harder and harder to get. This is all sales talk…. In South Africa (where there are a good deal of other brands flying) one finds parts for the Raptors easier than for the most other brands, ever Trex’s. This was one of the main reasons I went for a Raptor. I live near the Mozambican boarder and must say in spite of being in the bush, on city for mines I can’t at least get my Raptor parts…. and fly.
I must add that I have had two failures on tail servos when I first started and in the one instance I lost complete control of the tail (she was spinning). I tried my best to put her down gently but she came down on her side from about 12 meters and I had to only replace the basics…. A real tough heli!
Tristin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2009, 07:58 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I lived in Orange Park a long time ago. Nice Place!
Old 11-22-2009, 08:08 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

You kidding me…!
Tristin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2009, 10:45 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Save our Raptors....

I run a trex 450 pro and a raptor 50 se, now the 450 was a joy to build, manual was good, and Bobs videos helped me understand the set up.
The Raptor was a longer process , although the manual was ok, i had to refer to Rays DVD, and raptortechnique site. Novice heli flyers need help, and i can fully understand why people gravitate to to Trex due to the ease of learning material available.
Now from what ive read on this and other sites, people are crying out for a full MCCPM Raptor set up video and an appreciation of this set up, to pull both Rays and Raptortechnique into one clear video free build proceess. This in my opinion would be a major step forward, so come on sponsors!!! (whatever the politics involved...)
Rapman1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2009, 04:08 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapman1 View Post
I run a trex 450 pro and a raptor 50 se, now the 450 was a joy to build, manual was good, and Bobs videos helped me understand the set up.
The Raptor was a longer process , although the manual was ok, i had to refer to Rays DVD, and raptortechnique site. Novice heli flyers need help, and i can fully understand why people gravitate to to Trex due to the ease of learning material available.
Now from what ive read on this and other sites, people are crying out for a full MCCPM Raptor set up video and an appreciation of this set up, to pull both Rays and Raptortechnique into one clear video free build proceess. This in my opinion would be a major step forward, so come on sponsors!!! (whatever the politics involved...)
Rays has that Raptor set up video
Old 11-26-2009, 08:46 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonJ View Post
Just be glad. Why on earth anyone would want to have the same thing as everyone else is beyond me. I have nothing against the T-rex 600 itself, I wanted one when it came out. Everyone else having one makes me want one less. I too read about Raptors being a relic, something to be avoided until I ended up with one. Having done the conversion to get the greater collective range, I am very happy with it. I see no other 50 out there that I would just have to have. My next helicopter will be a 90.
Yeah i have a few helis and i just sold my 50 (raptor) to buy a pantera, i bought the pantera as parts are cheap, it flys well and i can upgrade fit a 90 to it with the bbc kit when the time comes. I still love flying my raptor 30 so i kept it :p

As for the old man he has a few electric align's they fly well but are too fragile and replacement parts seem to be fairly average quality wise if your not careful.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in