Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 450 Class Electric Helicopters

450 Class Electric Helicopters 450 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2012, 10:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Which TREX 450 to buy?

Fairly new to the hobby. Currently flying a MCP X and a Blade 400. Comfortable with hovering and forward flight. Don't want to spend the money to upgrade the B400 servos and gyro so I'm looking at the Trex 450 to replace it. Just a little confused at the difference between the Sport, Pro, and the SE - and then there is version 1 and V2 of each. Then there is also the FBL version. Looking for recommendations as to what I should look for? I am not interested in 3G at this point but sport flying with something a little more precise than my stock Blade 400.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
steeleagle is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2012, 10:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

The current versions of the Trex are the Sport and the Pro. The SE is an older model, you might find cloned versions of it, but Align does not make it anymore. The Sport has a wider body that is easier to fit stuff in, and a belt tail that is a bit more forgiving. The Pro has a narrow two piece body that is more rigid and a shaft driven tail that may or may not work better than a belt. There is a lot of debate about this. The V1 and V2 are just the originals (V1) and the updated models(V2). The older ones were great helis so if you get a good deal on one of them, you will not be disappointed. But if given a choice and everything else is equal, you should probably just get the V2. If you want to go FBL, that is cool, but it does cost a bit more. You can always get a flybarless head and a flybarless system and upgrade later. Tarot makes a good flybarless head for $30 or so.

Personally, I would suggest a Sport Super Combo. $430, Helidirect, a good place.

http://helidirect.com/align-t-rex-45...81-p-25223.hdx

All you would need is your radio, batteries, and you are ready to fly.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

You will also need connectors that work with your batteries. These work with the batteries above.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9572
http://helidirect.com/xt60-connector...-2-p-23680.hdx

I have a V1 Pro, super combo, I love it. It is a bit hard to get stuff inside, so I just stuck everything on the outside.

There is excellent part support with Align helis, so even if you have an older version, you will be able to get parts for quite some time.
SQRT(-2) is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2012, 11:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

meh

Last edited by Blackout.; 05-07-2012 at 10:30 PM.. Reason: meh
Blackout. is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2012, 02:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

You would be far better off upgrading the electronics on your B400. Sorry, the trex is not much of an upgrade over a properly setup B whatsoever.
I have written extensively on this over the last 3 years. With proof. The absolute best setup was with the upgraded cnc heli CF B400 frame, align or tarot head, and G5 tail. . I wont get into the several pages of info why. But now the final product in no way resembles the original B.

I have done both in almost every venue and in every side by side comparison the B outflew the various Trex versions hands down when identically modded. Plus it has a much better supported main shaft. That is until I built my own trex without a single stock part and supported the main shaft with a lower custom 3rd bearing main support and used extensively modded frames, ceramics, gears, and G5 tail assemblies. The align tail systems are crap! As were the 2 bearing main shaft supports and frame rigidity.

My pic for the trex body would this day be the sport out of the options though. With a Kde lower body plate. Hs65mg cyclics to start. Although I kept my Sev2 for advanced modding purposes.

Now I run 6s/12s on them with helihaven raised tails. All my trex's and B's now run MksDs95 servos throughout, ceramics. MH gears, Ice50s, Scorp 2221-2010s, and Sk720fbl systems with 420mm stretches at 3200hs.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default 450 Sport

The 450 Sport is a good choice. Get a kit and buy some Hitec 65MG servos for the swash
and a Quark gyro with a Futaba 9257 (or BLS257) for the tail.

Cheers
Erik

PS: Where I live the Sport is now discounted and great value for money.
(Probably because it's on it's way out. But it's still a great lil' chopper.)
Old 05-01-2012, 03:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

The sport V2 has taken the place of the original sport. The main difference is now the rudder servo mounts. On the V1 it mounted on the boom like the SE V2, but the sport v2 mounts like the Pro.
newbheliusr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2012, 05:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. I'm trying to make the decision whether to put the money into the B400 or spend the money on something else. I don't really want to go bigger but just want a better flying heli in the 450 size.

steeleagle is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2012, 07:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

you've apparently been flying for a while if you have a b-400

if you want flybared look at this
http://tarot-rc-heli.com/RC_Helicopt...uper-Combo-Kit

if you want flybarless look at this one
http://tarot-rc-heli.com/RC_Helicopt...uper-Combo-Kit

they both are pretty much 100% trex compatiable for parts
they are clones, lets not start a debate ok

it keeps your cost down to change over and as you crash you can always swap to align parts if you really want align

I keep hearing good things about the zyx fbl controller so much in fact i'm thinking about trying the zyx's gyro just to see what it will do
X-8 FPV Wing, TBS Discovery FPV, TBS Caipirinha FPV
satgod is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2012, 08:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Awesome thread!

I am in the process of looking for a TREX 450 Sport V2 as well. This is all great information!
STFD_LT24 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2012, 08:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Buying Options

Check Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-Rex_(RC_helicopter) for the differences on the different T-Rex 450 models. Sport v2 and Pro 3GX are the current ones ... and there is a RTF version called the 450 Plus.

I recently built a Sport v2 and bought it from aligntrexstore.com ... it was $400 minus 5% for being a facebook fan and no tax/free shipping.
mailman80 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2012, 11:00 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I would go with a pro v2. That way when you get into 3d flying youll be set. If I had not gotten a good deal on my Rave 450 FBL I would have gotten a pro v2.

Slow & Steady!
nmdesertracer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2012, 11:58 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a V1 Sport that I have just recently converted to FBL and it flies fantastic. I know I have seen numerous ones in the classifieds going at a pretty reasonable price. Don't know much about the V2 model but everyone on here that has one seems to really enjoy it. In my opinion FBL is the way to go though, I don't think I'll ever go back to a flybar setup.
Chris20 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 01:22 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeleagle View Post
Thanks for the input. I'm trying to make the decision whether to put the money into the B400 or spend the money on something else. I don't really want to go bigger but just want a better flying heli in the 450 size.

I dont think it is a good idea to upgrade your b400 electronics. It is true that b400 electronics are the worst part of it, but the frame is not good either. Its frame, spindle, mainshaft, etc... are bad. I know this heli, I still have the frame because I cant sell it, it is my wife birthday present to me about four years ago. It was good to learn as a begginer, thats all.

For some reason I dont know yet, It was very hard to make blades 400 tail work good, even using a futaba 401 and a 9257 (both originals) the tail looked rock solid but when inverted the tail gots crazy. Then I bought the trex 450 sev2 clone(exi) and it was another story. Really rock solid tail in both ways.

Trex 450(clones or align) are so good designed that I can do some basic 3D like inverted funels with $3.00 servos on the tail.

You should leave your blade 400 as part of your heli history, if you want a better heli, go for trex!
Tarot 450 sport is the best to my taste and with it, you can save a looooooootttt of money buying trex clone parts. Crashes can become 1/3 the cost of a blade 400 if not less and believe me when I say, theese cheap parts can do kind of hard 3D.

I also have a 450 pro belted version that feels nice too. I just dont like TT It just makes crashes more expensive and sometimes in a bad landing gears strips out.

I have some videos on my "osyhaz" chanel at youtube if you want to see how they performs with $13.00 gyros and $22.00 tail servos.

Good luck!
osyhaz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 04:33 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Align-T-R...#ht_6628wt_869

bungie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2012, 03:43 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

+1 Osyhaz

B400 is not worth upgrading. I spent a lot of money upgrading all electronics and still doesn't fly as good as any T-Rex 450 or clones. If you want to save money, go with an EXI kit. It's cheap and parts are the same as Align T-Rex 450.

Any Align T-Rex 450's are better than B400. My B400 is collecting dust. Planning to get rid of it on ebay.

Some shops are offering older versions of T-Rex 450 at a good discount. Don't let older versions discourage you. They perform quite well and parts are easier to find.
skyrotor is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2012, 04:07 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungie View Post
Theres a good deal, especially the flybarless super combo kit w/ dx8 tx. For 899.00 and a fairly reasonable shipping cost. It says RTF but its not, it still has to be assembled. Everything included, thats a hard deal to beat. I'm lookin at that deal as my next bird, that will save me some big money!!! Awesome post bungie, Thank You!!! http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ALIGN-T-R...24188174279848 Best part- it ships from NY
E-Flite Blade mCX x2, E-Flite Blade CP PRO, Align T-Rex 450 SE V2 w/ Hi-Tec HS 65HB cyclic servos, JR DS 3500G tail servo, E-Flite RG 90HL gyro, Align RCE-BL35X esc, Align 430X 3550 KV brushless, Spektrum DX6i DSM2 TX, Spektrum AR6200 RX

Last edited by bchrny; 05-05-2012 at 11:29 PM..
bchrny is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2013, 12:27 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

This thread is over a year old. Does anyone have any update info. I am looking at getting the T-Rex 450 Plus DFC. Seems to be newer, but Align does not show it on their web site. What about the 450L?? I am new at this and I have a Heli-Max AXE CP 2.4. It's ok, but I want something better with room to grow. Still not a great flyer and crash often, so I want something stable, but also something I can grow into and do advanced stuff later too. the 450 Plus DFC seems to fit that bill, but I am not sure. Anyone want to give me some advise.
cncook is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2013, 02:30 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Smile

i am new to heli and bought the 450 plus rtf dfc; belt tail vs the pro has a TT driven tail; a lot of debate on which is best; the rtf version comes w a nice futaba Tx so it is a good deal; been flying it for about 6 mos now and no problems at all; also the 2200 ma batteries are really inexpensive for the the 450. So really depends if you want to build the heli or have one ready to go out of the box (still have to check screws, etc) , if you want to build i would go w/ the pro- either way they are both great helis; also, when you move up in size you can go w/ a 550E which by the way is easier to fly than the 450.
Joel
foxman21926 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2013, 10:27 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks, Joel. How much fight time do you get out of a full battery. (no fancy flying, just slow hovering and stuff).
I don't want to build it my self, so the RTF is appealing to me.
What about damage when you crash it. I know I will crash it many times, is it easy to repair?
What about upgrading. Have you put in a bigger battery? 4 blade rotor head? GPS controller? upgraded the motor?
What about the tail gyro. Is it heading hold?
sorry for all the questions, I just want to know what I am getting my self into. I jumped into the Heli-Max AXE to fast and I don't like it, even though it's not bad for the price.
cncook is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2013, 03:16 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

My suggestion would be to get a simulator and keep using the heli you have.
Although trex 450s are very capable helis they are not what a beginner looks for in my opinion. A few years back they were the only choice but with all the crash resistant micros and sims available nowadays to teach you orientation and inverted flying I would go that way. A 450 will cost you a lot.
They are too fast and not as stable as a 550 or bigger size heli.
Once you have achieved FFF and basic 3d with a micro and a bigger heli then a 450 size opens lots of options.
If you still insist on getting a 450 then choose a model that you can easily find replacements parts cheap.
And another advice, do not buy tens of lipos, just buy a few and a good charger charger setup and cycle them to death. Lipos suffer more from incorrect storage and aging than too many cycles. That way when you decide to upgrade you will not have invested so much in lipos to affect your decision.
Taz00 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in