Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Newbies: Tips and Information

Newbies: Tips and Information Section of HF, specifically for Passing along info to newcomers to the hobby. Setup, tweaking, orientation practice, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2011, 04:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default First flight

I was introduced to rc helis by a friend on the west coast. I started with an mcx, followed by blade 120, then bought my friend's FBL Trex 500. Weather here in northeast was crap, which gave me time to practice on the sim. Weather finally broke enough for snow to melt away, so I ventured out for my first flight with the 500 this past Saturday. I made sure that the family and dog were safely tucked inside the house, went through a flight check, and then went to work. A couple of false starts led to the first real flight (my son up-loaded to youtube with the soundtrack - I would have preferred the sound of the motor).

Very exciting moment for me.

Next flight, I stripped some TT gears when the tail came down first in a grassy area - oh well.
Helijason is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2011, 05:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

congrats on your first!

you should now realize life as you know it just came to a quick and somewhat ereversable change welcome too thee adiction!
Old 03-14-2011, 05:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I remember that day. Still got a smile on your face, right?

Keep a close eye on your bank account, and if you are married, you might want to get a "hidden" bank account.

You might think about converting your 500 to a belt. Just saying.

Enjoy,

Craig

T-Rex 600N | T-Rex 500 ESP | T-Rex 500 GF | T-Rex 250 (Love this little bird) | 22 year old Shuttle ZXX
Ozz58 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2011, 06:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

and without training gear! my HERO! hehe

I havn't even been that brave yet! (with my 250 even)
Old 03-14-2011, 07:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Grats Man!

You're much braver than me doing that first flight without training gear and on camera too.
glanrus is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2011, 07:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

its all over now suckers! with the insperation from the OP yanked my training gear off and just went out and flew a pack, my first without training gear,

what can I say! WOW! what a dif. without the gear on her she was silky smooth!

thanks man for showing me the way!
Old 03-15-2011, 08:05 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Very nice

I just had my first flight a couple of weeks back. Something you may want to consider to help you stop stripping out the TT gears

Buy the longer tail fin for it.

I also threw the landing gear from a T-Rex 600 on mine (Gives it a wider base and slightly higher stance)

Sum total for these upgrades was ~$20 or so (I forget exactly what)

All you have to do with the landing gear is drill 4 holes in it (They don't line up) otherwise they are perfect.

You also don't need the youtube quote thing (Just post the link itself) that will get rid of the double video (Guess how I figured that out
Logo XXtreme, Kosmik, Pyro 800-48L Futaba 157s/256. Henseleit TDR, Pyro 700-52, 120 Jive, V-Bar 5.3, BLS253/251. Logo 600SE, Scorp 5020-450KV, 120 Helijive, Futaba 451s/251. Logo 400, Align 510MGs, JR 8900G, Kontronik Jive 80+ LV,Mini Pyro 400-14,
jtjohn1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2011, 08:35 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtjohn1 View Post
You also don't need the youtube quote thing (Just post the link itself) that will get rid of the double video (Guess how I figured that out
I thought he was really good and flew it twice to the little green marker both times perfectly.
N4HHA is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2011, 11:56 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtjohn1 View Post
Buy the longer tail fin for it.
I also threw the landing gear from a T-Rex 600 on mine (Gives it a wider base and slightly higher stance)
thanks for the tips - I already have a slightly longer tail fin, was contemplating putting a shim on the rear landing skid in order to give it a slight forward pitch, but I like your idea better. My buddy suggested a ping pong ball attached to the bottom of the tail fin, will try that as well.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have flown mine ~25 times so far and not hit the tail at all (Even with the slightly longer edge tail rotors)

http://www.helidirect.com/carbon-fib...00-p-13526.hdx

That's the fin I use (20mm longer than the stock one) it goes well with the higher landing gear.
Logo XXtreme, Kosmik, Pyro 800-48L Futaba 157s/256. Henseleit TDR, Pyro 700-52, 120 Jive, V-Bar 5.3, BLS253/251. Logo 600SE, Scorp 5020-450KV, 120 Helijive, Futaba 451s/251. Logo 400, Align 510MGs, JR 8900G, Kontronik Jive 80+ LV,Mini Pyro 400-14,
Old 03-15-2011, 09:22 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4HHA View Post
I thought he was really good and flew it twice to the little green marker both times perfectly.
Good one.
froghammer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2011, 08:29 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

HeliJason,
Congrats on your maiden flight ( are your hands still shaking? )
from what i saw in your vid , it looks like the heli wanted to go nose down into forward flight right from the start.. was that a stick comand ? ( did you meen to do that?)
if not , you may want to re~check your swash to make sure it's level and check your CG. ( just a thought)

bigger landing gear is also a good idea . or i've heard of people putting ping pong balls on the skids, it will raise the heli off the ground a bit.

again , congrats , and welcome to the addiction
kevinbattista is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2011, 09:49 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here is a video of my Heli with the bigger gear on it (Little bit on the ground and in the air)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sNcM1FItHM[/ame]
Old 03-18-2011, 01:49 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbattista View Post
HeliJason,
Congrats on your maiden flight ( are your hands still shaking? )
from what i saw in your vid , it looks like the heli wanted to go nose down into forward flight right from the start.. was that a stick comand ? ( did you meen to do that?)
if not , you may want to re~check your swash to make sure it's level and check your CG. ( just a thought)

bigger landing gear is also a good idea . or i've heard of people putting ping pong balls on the skids, it will raise the heli off the ground a bit.

again , congrats , and welcome to the addiction
Thanks vm. I'll look at the swash and check the CG. I could well have moved the stick forward a bit - I was concentrating on not pissing in my pants. Will try 600 gear next, and throw a ping pong ball on the tail again for good measure.

Jason
Old 03-23-2011, 03:05 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helijason View Post
Will try 600 gear next, and throw a ping pong ball on the tail again for good measure.
Up-date : made the above mods - result: 1 destroyed ping pong ball, and one cracked front 600 skid.

Back to the sim
Old 03-23-2011, 07:54 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

DANG how hard did you HIT!!!! Well at least it served it's purpose in protecting the rest of the Heli (Not like it's hard to replace those)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helijason View Post
Up-date : made the above mods - result: 1 destroyed ping pong ball, and one cracked front 600 skid.

Back to the sim
Old 03-23-2011, 08:45 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

HeliJason,
sorry to hear about your down time it happens to all of us. i just want to be clear though, when i mentioned ping pong balls i ment more like a shortened version of training gear , helps keep the heli a little higher off the ground . just some wooden dowles drilled into a small wooden block , then attach to the landing skids with wire ties .. when i first started i didnt really need the full training gear but i kept hittin my tail on landings and take offs ( the Cypher is a low heli ) worked well , also added a little stability because of the weight.
Hope you get back in the air soon , best of luck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0323012135.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	216934   Click image for larger version

Name:	0323012135a.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	216935  
kevinbattista is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in