Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters

500 Class Electric Helicopters 500 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2011, 05:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Smile New to this forum - just got trex500 kit. Little help.

Greetings!

Well...I finally upgraded to a trex 500 from having a blade 400 3D for the past year. I think it was time. Been doing tic tocs, rolls, loops, and inverted flight with the b400 and had some spare cash and got a combo kit trex500 from the Cincinnati Heli Smackdown on Saturday for $400. It's the belt driven trex, but it's what I wanted.

With that said...the b400 forum will be angry...lol j/k b400 fliers, i'm keeping my 450 class, but looking for a little help with this new bigger 500 class and hope to find a lot of informative and friendly folks here in the trex500 forum. So any suggestions for the build???

Also..I picked up an icharger 3010b and was wondering if anyone has a suggestion for a good 24v power supply for low cost to run it.

Thanks for the help and I'm glad to be in this forum and up to the 500 class electric.
R/C Planes '84-'85, Cars '85-'92, Heli's 2008-Now. AMA Lifetime Member #L1337, IRCHA #3930, TREX TB70, Blade 300cfx, Fusion 180, 230SNight, TRex 500e FB, TRex 500L Dominator FBL, & Spektrum DX9. Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/mentalteleprosy
Squiggy Wigginz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2011, 06:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Go through Finless's build videos.Worked great for my 500 ESP.

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=53305

Remember to install the feathering shaft sleeve.

Enjoy the build,
Craig
Old 05-23-2011, 07:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Welcome to the 500 club Squiggy! You'll love it. Moving up from the Blade 400 is the hands down best move I've made in this hobby so far.

I use two 42amp feathermerchant power supplies wired in series for 24v power to my Hyperion Duo. Works great. You can get two for $90.00.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

It's about time my old friend. Tom
tommcg46 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2011, 07:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks Craig, Larry and Tom. Tom and Larry, Wow....didn't know both of you were in the 500 club too! (technically I'm still in the 500 "build" club and not the 500 "fly" club. hehe)

So you still flying that SR of mine Tom? I hated that thing with a passion. lol I felt it was cursed.
R/C Planes '84-'85, Cars '85-'92, Heli's 2008-Now. AMA Lifetime Member #L1337, IRCHA #3930, TREX TB70, Blade 300cfx, Fusion 180, 230SNight, TRex 500e FB, TRex 500L Dominator FBL, & Spektrum DX9. Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/mentalteleprosy
Old 05-23-2011, 09:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

You're going to love the 500. Totally different than the B400.

Dogs come when called. Cats take a message and get back to you later.
Cailid is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2011, 09:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

oh no, its you, your going to shoot you eye out kid, but before you do, this is where i would get my power supply, i would just pick up the 500 or 600 watt one they offer in the hindered dollar price range, if your not charging big 6 cell 5000 mah packs 500-600 watts is more than enough

http://www.progressiverc.com/

Blade 180 CFX, Sold the rest of my stuff, I dont really fly all that often any more.
dannylightning is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2011, 12:11 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

lol Danny. Larry's idea is $90 for two in parallel which is a nice. 24v 1000w 30amp. woot. For $90? can't beat that imho.

Funny I'm now in the 500 forum and the same guys who used to be in the b400 forum are here. Now I know if I start missing you guys here I need to upgrade to a 600.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:21 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squiggy Wigginz View Post
Funny I'm now in the 500 forum and the same guys who used to be in the b400 forum are here.
Heck you might even see a rare sighting of T/C Hunter here
Old 05-24-2011, 08:10 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

hahaha.... Now I'll have the Magnum theme song in my head all day Larry..thanks alot.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:04 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

hey larry, dont you halve to remove the ground from one of those and what not before you run them in series?? my friends got some kind of powersupplys for 20 bucks each and stuck 2 togeather and now have a 1000 watt power supply but they had to do a lot of work and solder all kinds of stuff, the one guy is really good with electronics and it took him 2 weeks to get this thing figured out, soldered up and finished, and he was going on about how dangerous it was if it came ungrounded and what not.

they paid 40 bucks for theirs but if its dangerous and that much work i say no thanks.

how much work is there to running 2 of those...

did you get that 500 built yet squiggy

Blade 180 CFX, Sold the rest of my stuff, I dont really fly all that often any more.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:25 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yes danny. You cut the ground (round) prong off one of the power supply cords. Then if you're going to stack them you put something between them to insulate them from each other so the metal cases don't touch each other. Link below.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1164359
Old 05-24-2011, 09:54 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

my freiends were instructed to open theirs up and remove the ground from the inside of one supply, than they had to solder a bunch of stuff on these little tiny pins that are the size of the pins in the balancing plug of a lipo, they had to solder several wires on to these little pins.... i watched them do some of it and it really did not look fun..

ill check out your link and see how hard these ones look.

Old 05-24-2011, 03:03 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry227 View Post
Yes danny. You cut the ground (round) prong off one of the power supply cords. Then if you're going to stack them you put something between them to insulate them from each other so the metal cases don't touch each other. Link below.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1164359
There has to be a better way than cutting the ground off,thats scary.Hey Squiggy i'm still flying the sr and by the way it is cursed. Tom
tommcg46 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2011, 04:26 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommcg46 View Post
There has to be a better way than cutting the ground off,thats scary.Hey Squiggy i'm still flying the sr and by the way it is cursed. Tom
HAHAHA It IS cursed? I KNEW IT!!!!

The 500 isn't even out of the box yet Danny. And starting tomorrow I work 6 days in a row 11 hours each day but Sunday...so it's going to be sometime before I have it up and running. I'm shooting for having it up and going around IRCHA if I can find the time.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:01 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
lol Danny. Larry's idea is $90 for two in parallel which is a nice. 24v 1000w 30amp. woot. For $90? can't beat that imho.

Funny I'm now in the 500 forum and the same guys who used to be in the b400 forum are here. Now I know if I start missing you guys here I need to upgrade to a 600.
Wow, it's like old home week here on the 500 forum. I have a birthday coming up at the end of June and already have told Birthday Claus to bring me a 500ESP.

John
Blade 400
MiataJohn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2011, 03:48 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommcg46 View Post
Haha.. man so many of us have SR stories.. right, Danny?

Good luck Squiggy with your build, I am right there with you doing one myself
blackmagic08 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2011, 04:56 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Also..I picked up an icharger 3010b and was wondering if anyone has a suggestion for a good 24v power supply for low cost to run it.

Thanks for the help and I'm glad to be in this forum and up to the 500 class electric.
This is the fella I bought my power supplies from. Good guy to deal with and very decent prices/fast shipping. I use dual 12v power supplies to run 2 Hyperion Duo III chargers. I needed something that could charge 4 6s lipos at once and these power supplies have always been up for the challenge.

http://www.feathermerchantrc.com/
Trex 600 ESP FBL - Beastx
adroc3905 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2011, 09:16 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmagic08 View Post
Haha.. man so many of us have SR stories.. right, Danny?

Good luck Squiggy with your build, I am right there with you doing one myself
SR, what SR, I dont know nothing about no SR........ except after i got mine all set up right i had a heck of a lot of fun with it....

Tags
400, 500, blade, trex, upgrade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in