Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Simulators Support > RealFlight Flight Sim

RealFlight Flight Sim All versions of RealFlight Sim

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2009, 08:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default real flight sim vs. phoenix sim

So I am still not sure what sim to buy. I am a heli guy so that will be the deciding factor. I am looking for the most realistic sim. Please help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2009, 09:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
HF Support

To be honest, they are very similar sims. Basically it comes down to if you want to use your own radio with your sim or use a "dummy" radio that you plug in via USB.
ChrisH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2009, 01:17 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Well, there are many more that have both, so I can only tell you what I think of RealFlight. I just got RF 4.5 and I am pleasantly surprised considering some of the opinions of the pro-Phoenix crowd. I may get Phoenix one day just to see for myself what a sim half-the price gets me. I do understand it it quite good.
The sim Radio that comes with RF 4.5 is a regular Futaba 6EX radio with a reset button & some sim controls instead of an LCD & Transmitter controls (and, obviously, Tx abilities). A vast improvement, IMHO, from the sim Radio that came with prior versions. It actually feels like a radio. And you can change fields and models as well as crash and reset all day long without getting up to reach for the keyboard. But, I can always plug my T7C into the back and use it instead, or use both at the same time for local multiflight. Kinda cool considering I originally had a beef with RF not giving me the choice of buying just the Sim program with some sort of USB adaptor to be able to use my own radio in the first place (like Phoenix).
There's a good variety of fields and an extensive variety models that it comes with as well more you can buy & download. My only plank is there & I downloaded 2 of my 5 helis (450SEv2 & 500ESP) for nothing from the forums. I gotta say, the 450 flys surprisingly like mine. As soon as I learn more, I'll be able to tweak it even closer. I just bought my 500, so I can't compare yet. But It can't be too far off.

Anyway, you asked and that's my take. Overall, I'm very happy with RF v4.5. Given the choice, I'd buy it again.

Jeff

I do not have to be politically correct. I am not a politician.
K-50 / 500ESP /450SEv2 /H200SD / mCX / RF4.5 / 10C 2.4GHz
Ecklund1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2009, 01:24 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I've used both. Phoenix all the way!
Old 01-16-2009, 04:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
DVS
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have G3.5 and Phoenix, I find myself using Phoenix more.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:42 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

i tried both g4 and phoenix using default settings and for some reason, i grew tired of phoenix quickly (5mins) and i enjoy g4 a lot better. i haven't grown tired of g4 yet after 2months on it
gouki74 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2009, 12:27 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I use both, phoenix is more fun, I use g4.5 for practicing moves that are just a little easy in phoenix, and vice er versus for phoenix, but if i had to pick one it would be phoenix. As it is cheaper and better in many areas, g4.5 rest on its laurels and has a long way to catch up to phoenix,
joups is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2009, 05:00 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi,

I'm considering buying G5, install it on my laptop and practice heli flying a lot...

Although this is more like business laptop (Intel Core Duo 2.4 GHz, 2 GB RAM, Win XP...), still I could easily run some games and graphics.

I presume that G5 should work, at least good enough with appropriate settings applied, because some guy was able to run G4 (or maybe even G4.5 not sure) on similar laptop...

Does someone know if there's some way of trying G5 before I pay for it, just to be sure that it will work on my laptop ?
denisdb is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2009, 07:23 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have both Phoenix 2.5t (latest) and G4.5 and find that the G4.5 feels more like flying my real T-Rex 700 than the T-Rex 700 in Phoenix.
I also can't stand the "magnetic" effect the skid tubes have on the ground in Phoenix, making it so you can't slide around without "crashing".
The autorotations in Phoenix feel very underpowered, but when in G4.5 I have the same "hang time" with my 700 like I do in reality.
I know you will find tons that feel Phoenix is more realistic, maybe compared against an older RF G number, but the latest of both has the RF sim ontop for me, though the scenery scenes look crisper/better in Phoenix than RF, but thats about it.
These are my own personal findings while owning both sims, and I haven't got G5 yet for the latest RF sim.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:42 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm running RF 3.5 on a macbook pro (vmware fusion 3, windows 7, 1080p hdmi out to the tv). I rarely use any of RealFlight's advanced features, so if I were buying new, I would be looking at RealFlight Basic.

Last edited by xatled99; 12-18-2009 at 11:48 AM..
xatled99 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2009, 09:32 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I find it amusing how people repeat the same ol question over and over and over.
RChristopher is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2009, 06:07 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have RealFlight G4,G4.5 and Phoenix 2.5
All are great sim's. So I noticed that Realflight is a bit less performance on low end PC's (mostly laptops). I run G4 on my laptop and G4.5on my desktop as well as on one Mac mashine. So far I am ok with it. Very realistic and great download options.
Tried the Phoenix on my laptop under XP and my Desktop under Vista. I do get a better frame rate then the Realflight on low end machines without dedicated graphic board (about 50-60). Thta is good for me and makes it easier to use. Also with low frae rates it seems more responsiv then the real flight.
Still advantage to the RealFlight is the instructor function. Phoenix does not have that.
price difference if purchased with controller is not that much.
im4711 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2009, 11:20 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

????????

Does anyone ever check their posts prior to sending, checking maybe the spelling, punctuation, etc. Makes it a heck of a lot easier for the community to understand what their trying to say.

Couldn't help it ...

Cheers

Bob C.
RChristopher is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2009, 09:53 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by RChristopher View Post
????????

Does anyone ever check their posts prior to sending, checking maybe the spelling, punctuation, etc. Makes it a heck of a lot easier for the community to understand what their trying to say.

Couldn't help it ...

Cheers

Bob C.

Cannot help you either.

Maybe you try yourself in a foreign language and then we will discuss how good your spelling and grammar is.
im4711 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2010, 09:34 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I own both currently, and RealFlight's Helicopter flight characteristics is better to me by far over Phoenix. I got Phoenix expecting it to be better, but after 1 month I can honestly say that RF still has the upper hand compared to how my own Heli's fly, and auto.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in