Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Thunder Tiger GT5 FBL System

Thunder Tiger GT5 FBL System Thunder Tiger GT5 Flybarless Electronics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2012, 02:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Ail and Ele settings not working. Help

A brand new GT5 setup on my 500. All directions and gyro sense are correct.
TX all channels ATV 100%. According tO the manual I use Pitch, Ail, Ele to set
Pitch +/- 11 degree and cyclic +/-6 degree.

I have to lower Pitch to 60 in order to get 11 degree.
But Ail and Ele have no effect at all. No matter what value, I got same servo movement.

Do I need to setup in TX ATV? Or the servo limit? But that was not what I have read so far.

I m stuck at this point. Please help

Guruduck
guruduck is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2012, 04:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

use servo travel, section 14 in the manual. You will have to do the collective after you have done this in the menu you are currently trying to use, in that menu the Aileron and elevator settings only change the agility of the helicopter in flight!
Ely.Q Vision 50
NitroAl is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2012, 03:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You also want to make sure that your overall gain is set to 100.
jdanks is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2012, 03:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default My understandings of G-T5

Thanks NitroAI and jdanks,

the manual is very confusing and incomplete... After reading so much on this forum and TDR's, I kinda grasp the idea. Correct me if I am wrong.

Before programming the G-T5,
(1) Set Tx to Normal (mechanical) swash mode.
(2) Set all servo ATVs on Tx to 100, except Aux 2 (Channel 7). See below.

Do the followings on G-T5.
Cyclic setup
(1) Use Zero point (icon= horn +/-) to set zero degree on all servos, swash level.
(2) Use Servo travel (icon= horn, double end arrows moving) to set cyclic to 8 to 10 degree. The actual amount is not important. But make sure all cyclic servos have the same value.
(3) Use Pitch menu (icon= swash, pitch mix) to set +/- 11 degree. Leave Ail and Ele to default 100.
(4) Do not use Servo limit (icon= horn, A and B) for cyclic. Set to default 250.

Tail setup
(1) Use Zero point (icon= horn +/-) to set zero degree on tail servo and get a 6 degree tail pitch.
(2) Use Servo limit (icon= horn, A and B) to set the mechanical limit of tail slide pitch

P, is the gain (agility) of the gyro. Like the Hiller setting in other fbl unit
I, is the stability. Like the Bell setting in other fbl unit

Another thing I am not sure is how to set the overall gain 60 and 100 switchable. In my DX7, Aux 2 is a toggle switch. I programmed the ATV on Aux 2 (Channel 7) to have +100 and -60. There is no way to program positive value in the negative position of the switch. Will G-T5 take the absolute value instead of + and - ?
Or should I set the Tx to use Aux 2 to give Gyro function and program the Gyro gain to 60 and 100 in association to the Flight mode (normal, Idle Up 1 and Idle Up 2)?

Please bear with me as I only have experience with Skookum and 3GX.
Thank you
Guruduck
Old 02-05-2012, 08:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Mechanical binding after exit to normal mode.

Ok. I read the V2 manual over and over. Now I have a new understanding. But still haven't figured out how to avoid binding in non-programming mode and the switchable gain.

[Corrections to above procedure]
Cyclic setup
(1) Use Zero point (icon= horn +/-) to set zero degree on all servos, swash level.
(2) Use Servo travel (icon= horn, double end arrows moving) to set cyclic until no mechanical binding at max collective and cyclic inputs. The actual amount is not important. But make sure all cyclic servos have the same value.
(3) Use Pitch menu (icon= swash, pitch mix) to set +/- 11 degree. Leave Ail and Ele to default 100.
(4) Do not use Servo limit (icon= horn, A and B) for cyclic unless max or min values in Step 2 are not enough. Otherwise, set to default 250.

Now I was able to produce Pitch +/-11 degree and Cyclic +-9 degree within the programming menu. But once I exited the programming mode, or timeout 25sec, all the bindings were BACK . W.T.F.. I swear I saved the parameters.
Total gain was at 100.

Another thing I am not sure is how to set the overall gain 60 and 100 switchable. In my DX7, Aux 2 is a toggle switch. I programmed the ATV on Aux 2 (Channel 7) to have +100 and -60. There is no way to program positive value in the negative position of the switch. Will G-T5 take the absolute value instead of + and - ?
Or should I set the Tx to use Aux 2 to give Gyro function and program the Gyro gain to 60 and 100 in association to the Flight mode (normal, Idle Up 1 and Idle Up 2)?

Please help.
Guruduck
Old 02-06-2012, 12:42 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My limited understanding from anther thread was to just use the rate & HH in gyro as 100 & 60 . I don't own a DX 7 so those other options don' exist for me.
mrultralite is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2012, 01:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Would someone please help?

PLE-E-E-ASE

Guruduck
Old 02-06-2012, 02:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

sorry i can't help. i'll be facing the same problem myself soon i bet. i think the experts here are fed up with newbies. Silence usually means they have covered it already Thanks for posting that great summary, by the way.
A revised manual sticky ? there are only a couple of major errors now. I notice they are trying to appeal to english speakers with their video series, but they are stuck at 5 with further ones too difficult even for them.
mrultralite is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2012, 02:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by guruduck View Post
Now I was able to produce Pitch +/-11 degree and Cyclic +-9 degree within the programming menu. But once I exited the programming mode, or timeout 25sec, all the bindings were BACK . W.T.F.. I swear I saved the parameters.
Total gain was at 100.
1.) Set Pitch mixer in G-T5 to 127 (maximum).
2.) Change servo travels in G-T5 to produce +/-11 degree pitch.
3.) Measure cyclic throw in menu, test for servo binding out of menu and report your results.

I mean that you have too long servo arms for FBL:
Quote:
I have to lower Pitch to 60 in order to get 11 degree.
Guruduck

Last edited by swalko; 02-06-2012 at 03:53 PM..
swalko is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2012, 04:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok. I moved the links to inner servo arm holes. I set Pitch mix to 127 and used Servo Travel only to set Collective pitch to +/- 11 degree. The cyclic pitch automatically gave me +/- 8 degree. All Servo Travels were set to 60. Everything was fine in programming menu. No binding.

But as soon as I quit programming, The cyclic throws were back to +/- 12 degree. Collective was find. Stayed at +/- 11. Bindings occurred at max collective and cyclic.

On a second try, I lowered the Pitch mix to 120. Got +/- 10.5 on collective and almost +- 8 degree on cyclic. But again, as soon as I quit programming mode, cyclic throw went back to maximum. Since collective was lowered, bindings were not so severe as before.

Any ideas why cyclic limits were reset after quitting programming mode?

Thanks in advance.
Guruduck
Old 02-07-2012, 01:19 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Ok. I moved the links to inner servo arm holes. I set Pitch mix to 127 and used Servo Travel only to set Collective pitch to +/- 11 degree. The cyclic pitch automatically gave me +/- 8 degree. All Servo Travels were set to 60. Everything was fine in programming menu. No binding.

But as soon as I quit programming, The cyclic throws were back to +/- 12 degree. Collective was find. Stayed at +/- 11. Bindings occurred at max collective and cyclic.

On a second try, I lowered the Pitch mix to 120. Got +/- 10.5 on collective and almost +- 8 degree on cyclic. But again, as soon as I quit programming mode, cyclic throw went back to maximum. Since collective was lowered, bindings were not so severe as before.

Any ideas why cyclic limits were reset after quitting programming mode?

Thanks in advance.
Guruduck
Your cyclic limits was not reset, that is the way how G-T5 work. If you get binding only in far cyclic corners at maximum and minimum collective, dont be afraid, you newer reach these positions in flight. Based on you settings you posted, i think that you have still too long servo arms or not best suitable head geometry for FBL.
swalko is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2012, 10:39 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Swalko

This is iffy to have bindings in normal flight by hoping the pilot will never reach the extreme input

The way I believe G-T5 can improve in this area. Once the limits are programmed, they should remain within limit no matter it is in program mode or flight mode. I will continue to play with the servo limit until no binding in flight mode before I dare to spin it up.

Yes. My model has inherit geometry problem with fbl. And I am using an after market fbl head. This makes the case worse. It is a known problem to the manufacturer and users. Hope they will update the frame design to cope with this new technology.

All-in-all, I have much confidence in this unit and I will get through this soon.

Thank you
Guruduck
Old 02-09-2012, 07:00 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You have to remember that the roll and flip rates are controlled by the gyro's so what you see on the bench is the gyro adding more and more cyclic because the gyro is chasing the requested roll or flip rate but it is not seeing a matching response in the heli so just keeps going!
Ely.Q Vision 50
NitroAl is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in