Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics > 2.4G Spektrum Radios

2.4G Spektrum Radios Spektrum 2.4 Gigahertz Radios and Technology

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2009, 04:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default AR6100 to T-rex 450 for dummies! Help needed please.

I realize for most this is a straightforward part of the assembly but I find myself at a loss as I don't know the basics of this step.

Can someone please tell me where each component plugs into the reciever? I have some of them figured out (rudder and gain from the 401 gyro) but not sure on the others as follows;
BEC, this should go into the "batt" portion of the reciever to supply power to the reciever however this lead is also tied to one of the control servos so I assume it must go to the corresponding location on the rx and not to the "batt" terminal.
AILE &ELEV, There are three servos for this function and only two positions on the rx. I'll refer to them as left, right, and center when viewing from the rear of the heli. The "left" servo is also the one used to supply power to the rx. There is no mention as to which rx position (batt, thro, aile, elev, rudd, gear, aux1) applies to which channel or how what goes to where. As for the ESC I believe it goes to the throttle position on the rx but at this point I'm pretty certian I could be wrong.

Any and all help in this simple procedure would be greatly appreciated. It has taken me 24 hrs just to get the reciever to bind to the tx and the brain cells are in total turmoil at this point.
ACKopter is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2009, 05:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

This should work:

BATT: Nothing, unless you have a separate BEC or UBEC
THRO: ESC
AILE: One of the Aileron Servos
ELEV: Rear Servo
RUDD: Gyro input (the connector with all three wires)
GEAR: Gyro Remote Gain (the connector with one wire)
AUX1: The other Aileron Servo

It does not matter which Aileron servo you plug into the AILE or AUX1 ports on the receiver. You can make any correction in your radio.

Last edited by Mike66; 01-26-2009 at 02:41 AM.. Reason: Correct typo
Mike66 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2009, 06:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Mike, It does have a seperate BEC(medusa) and it is tied to one of the aileron servos.If I plug this to the "batt" position on the rx will it still command the servo?
Old 01-25-2009, 06:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

If I understand correctly, the BEC is hard wired to one of the Aileron servos. If so, then plug the Aileron servo into the AILE or AUX1 port on the receiver. The BEC will power the receiver through the built-in power buss.

Of the three contacts for each receiver port, the middle port is the power positive terminal, and the two outer contacts are the ground and signal terminals. All of the positive contacts are connected together, and all of the ground contacts are connected together inside the receiver. The only contacts that are separate are the signal terminals for each port. If you plug a BEC or battery into any port on the receiver, you can power it.

Since you are using a BEC, make sure you pull the red wire out of the ESC connector and tape it up just in case your ESC has a built-in BEC, You do not want two power sources into the radio.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The red wire from the ESC is isolated but I can't seem to get the right aileron servo to work no matter what configuration I try. I'll take another look and see if I can better describe the set-up for you.
Back in a few minutes
Old 01-25-2009, 06:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'll list the rx position and what I have plugged in.

channel 1 "batt" is vacant
channel 2 "throt" is BEC
channel 3 "aile" is the right servo which is tied to the ESC using a Y-harness.
channel 4 "elev" is center servo
channel 5 "rudd" is 3 wire bundle from gyro
channel 6 "gear" is single wire from gyro
channel 7 "aux" is left servo

I'm not certain but at this point it almost seems something is wrong with the way the Y-harness is being used.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

ESC goes to Throttle.

BEC can be Y'd to any port/servo.
AMA#47402, IRCHA # 3395
Blade CP "Pro", Trex 450SE, PiccoZ, Quick of Japan EP8v2 EX, Hurricane 550, Hurricane 200, JR Vibe 50, Blade mCX, Bergen Intrepid Gasser, Pantera 50, Blade mSR, Novus CP
Pinecone is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2009, 07:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Alright, I confused my bec's and esc's. channel 2 or "throt" is connected to the ESC and channel 3 or "aile" is the Y-harness connected right servo.

Center servo and right servo are functioning correctly(at least I think) however the left servo is now controlled by the throttle stick. I know this can't be correct.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't see why the need to "Y" off of the servo.

Why not just plug your bec into the batt port?

The connector from the ESC (THRO) needs to have the center wire removed to use the bec.
Old 01-26-2009, 02:52 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACKopter View Post
Alright, I confused my bec's and esc's. channel 2 or "throt" is connected to the ESC and channel 3 or "aile" is the Y-harness connected right servo.

Center servo and right servo are functioning correctly(at least I think) however the left servo is now controlled by the throttle stick. I know this can't be correct.
It sounds like you have the Aileron/BEC combination plugged into the THRO port of the receiver. Try what Lota Fun R said and plug the BEC directly into the BATT port. If the receiver goes into bind mode, then you need to remove the unneeded signal wire from the BEC connector. Some of the Castle Creation BECs had the signal wire grounded at the BEC, which caused the Spektrum receivers to go into bind mode. I do not know if the Medusa BEC is the same.

Verify that the left servo is plugged into the AILE or AUX1 port. It is easy to become confused with the tangle of servo wiring meeting in a confined area. Unless the receiver is bad, the most likely reason for the left servo to respond to throttle commands is for it to be plugged into the THRO port of the receiver.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:46 AM   #11 (permalink)

My HF Map location

When I install servos, I use a Sharpie marker to put dots on the servo wires just outside of the lead. One dot for aileron, two dots for elevator, three dots for pitch. I don't mark the ESC, Gyro, or Gyro Signal lead because they are all different from eachother and from the regular servo wires. This way when all the wires are routed to the receiver and ready to be plugged in, it's a no brainer as to which one goes where.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:54 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have enough spaces in the rx to run the servo and BEC leads without the use of the Y-harness. The BEC lead does utilize all three pins but the Y-harness is a DIY so the signal lead may be disconnected there, no sure way to find out without dissabling the harness.

This will give me a few things to try when I get home later today and I will post my results then.

Stay tuned and thanks to all for the help,Chris
Old 01-26-2009, 09:43 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

ESC goes into the THROTTLE Channel, which the first slot.

Two servos on the same end of the heli go into Aileron and Pitch/Aux1

Single servo goes into Elevator.

And you need to set your Tx to 120 degree CCPM (3 servo 120). Whan you do that, and get the servos plugged into the proper slots, ALL THREE with move with the throttle stick, and vairous combinations will move with the cyclic stick (elevator and aileron).
AMA#47402, IRCHA # 3395
Blade CP "Pro", Trex 450SE, PiccoZ, Quick of Japan EP8v2 EX, Hurricane 550, Hurricane 200, JR Vibe 50, Blade mCX, Bergen Intrepid Gasser, Pantera 50, Blade mSR, Novus CP
Old 01-26-2009, 01:23 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
ESC goes into the THROTTLE Channel, which the first slot.
On the AR6100, the first slot is the BATT. The THRO is the second slot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AR6100.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	79114  
Old 01-26-2009, 05:48 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Seem to have things sorted out at this point. I abandoned the Y-harness and have directly connected the ESC and corresponding servo to the RX and all seems to be working correctly now.

Servo and control wires are connected to the RX as follows:

BEC----BATT
ESC----THRO
R servo-----AILE
C servo----ELEV
3wire gyro---- RUDD
1wire gyro----GEAR
L servo----AUX1 This is the only servo that had to be reversed, all others are "normal"

Does anyone see anything problematic given the info from above? If this is typically OK then I'll proceed with re-routing wires and continue with setting up the radio.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:54 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Does anyone see anything problematic given the info from above? If this is typically OK then I'll proceed with re-routing wires and continue with setting up the radio.
Looks fine.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:34 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

I have not fully translated this thread but just in case you have missed the concept that the three servos that control the swash plate are three independent functions mixed by the computer to share the work. One is lateral cyclic-Ael, one is fore and aft cyclic-Elev, and the other is "collective" or pitch. This pitch servo has to share its duties with the Elev and Ael servos as there is no mechanical mixer as in a full size helicopter. Sorry if I have interrupted the thread as I am new to RC helicopters myself but do have a Blade 400 which I am pretty sure works the same. I hope this has helped . These settings are taken care of on the Blade 400 in the swash mix (based on 90 degree two blade head) and must be set normal or reversed based on how the servo is mounted in regards to direction.
Jim
Rotorjim is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2009, 07:04 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Just want to say thanks to all who have been kind enough to lend a hand.
Cyclic, collective, and rudder functions are all correct in response and orientation.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:55 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike66 View Post
On the AR6100, the first slot is the BATT. The THRO is the second slot.
Oops, I was thinking Batt was the other end.
AMA#47402, IRCHA # 3395

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in