Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics > 2.4G Spektrum Radios

2.4G Spektrum Radios Spektrum 2.4 Gigahertz Radios and Technology

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2017, 07:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Dx8 G2 on it's way.. What to expect?

Issues?

Pro's/Con's?

I am upgrading from a dx6i which came with my RTF Blade 450 Flybar back in 2011.

I explored many options but decided I would stay Spektrum because my entire fleet has been without issue since than.

What should I expect with the new radio?

Thanks guys
-Markus
* G700c BRAIN2 * T-rex 500 *308DUO *450x #429
Relisys190 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2017, 08:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's going to use the same AirWare software as the rest of the G2 radios, which is really nice and powerful, and in my opinion, a lot easier to work with than the DX6i once you get used to it. It's a LOT more capable with a lot of new features.

Because it's the same software, that also means that model files (the SPM files you can move around with the SD card) are compatible across all of the G2 transmitters.

Some people will say the voice feature on the G2 radios is a gimmick, but I like it for switch reports. I'll assign voice sounds to all of the positions on switches I program. When I come back to a model after a few months, I can simply flip switches to remember how I set up the switches for that model - the transmitter will tell me!

The biggest difference you'll find in the hardware is how the battery works. The physical case used for the DX6G2/G3, DX7G2, and DX8G2 was originally designed for AA batteries. The Li-Ion battery is an option on the DX6 and included with the DX7 and DX8, but it's made to fit where the AA batteries normally would and the charger is part of that same little package. You'll notice that the charger plugs into a connector inside that battery package. The point is that the Spektrum logo on the front will not light up while the battery is charging like it does on older transmitters or the DX9/18. Follow the instructions in the manual about charging.

It doesn't come with an SD card, but Spektrum uses pretty lousy SD cards so that's no loss. Get a good class 4 or class 6 card that's no larger than 32GB and format it FAT or FAT32 (it should come out of the package that way). I use an 8GB card and that's plenty of space.

With a good SD card, I'd register the transmitter at spektrumrc.com and then upgrade the firmware to the current version. The firmware is keyed to your serial number, so you must register and then download a file exclusively for your transmitter. The sound file is universal (no serial number), so you can just download that and apply it as instructed. When you go to download an update, there's also a "How-To" PDF in a link in tiny print on that page.
flightengr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2017, 09:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thank you for the information. I am really looking forward to getting this radio as it will be a tremendous upgrade from my dx6i which had suited my hobby well for the last few years. I'm most excited about actually having 3 UI modes. lol. The simple pleasures in life...

Thanks,
-Markus
Old 01-17-2017, 03:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi, I also moved from a DX6i (included in my blade 450 3D RTF kit) to the DX8 G2. it is really a nice radio, a big step compared to the dx6i. The only thing I had to do is the throttle stick mod (with teflon, see https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=601785). But I hope yours will be fine out of the box
Cheers, Luca
All with BRAIN2 and Spektrum TX
lucasouthoffrance is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2017, 09:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

The radio came today and I am very pleased with it . I am still learning where everything is in the programming but I have managed to get my two smallest models bound and test spooled with blades off! with IU 1-2-3 controls and Hold all functioning properly. The blade 120sr was super easy bind and go, that was the first test. My blade 450x with IKON was a bit more difficult because of hooking up the laptop to bind and go back thru servo reversing and what not

Now I just have the goblin 660mm with IKON and trex 500 with Skookum 540 to bind and setup.

I am using R knob for vol control. That's pretty cool. Have not gotten too in depth but it's a quality radio in comparison to what I've had for 6 years.

Markus
Old 01-24-2017, 10:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Never considered volume on the r knob. Sweet!
slogoat is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2017, 12:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just for giggles, I thought I'd post my experience with the gimbals.

Collective is smooth but a bit loose (needs adjustment) , much smoother than my Dx6i. Rudder is also smooth and perfect tension

The cyclic is smooth also, but elevator forward has a bit of notchyness to it around the end of stick travel(top of transmitter)

Almost feels like the spring is touching something.

I still need to update the software to the latest version...

-Markus
Old 02-03-2017, 07:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Besides the metal Spektrum case, which case/bag will fit this radio dx8g2?

Will the atomic dx9 case fit? The SAB case?

Thank you,
Markus

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in