Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Airplanes Info and Support > Foamies and Park Flyers

Foamies and Park Flyers 3D Foamies and Park Flyers are an EXCELLENT way to improve your reflexes and stick finesse

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2014, 06:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Parkzone T-18 Trojan

I wasn't able to find a thread dedicated to this plane, so I decided to create one since it is an RC staple at most clubs.

I made this video the other night. It shows some clips of me enjoying the heck out of my Parkzone T-28 Trojan taking off and landing on a dirt road in berry fields. I tried to do a lot of scale flight as well since this thing is so pretty in the air along with some basic stunts and tricks.

This was all captured with my new Sony Handycam, so there are some nice up-close shots of this plane in the air too

Here are some other videos to launch this thread properly:

GBLynden is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2014, 09:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I flew this one for a little while in phoenix and it seemed fairly easy to fly but still fun. I think a trainer would be boring.

Would it be stupid to think that I could get this for a first plane if I have some cp heli experience? Would it be like skipping the coaxial and going strait to a fixed pitch single rotor?, or would it be like skipping a coaxial and going strait to cp?
Old 07-03-2014, 12:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFRLuke View Post
Would it be stupid to think that I could get this for a first plane if I have some cp heli experience? Would it be like skipping the coaxial and going strait to a fixed pitch single rotor?, or would it be like skipping a coaxial and going strait to cp?
Don't get me started on the coaxial/fixed-pitch/collective-pitch thing!

Pretty much a myth, in my humble opinion. It all comes down to circumstances.

Given that the T-28 is purpose-built trainer 'plane in The Real, it stands to reason that a good model of it will be a suitable trainer, as well.

I've never flown that particular model but have flown similar ones and, in my humble opinion, with the correct attitude and process, that will be a perfectly fine first 'plane, certainly for someone who has experience flying RC aircraft (even if it is only whirlybirds ). With sim. time, even more so.

It is generally true that high-wingers are a little more docile than low-wingers but I'm under the impression that that particular model is a very gentle flier.
Old 07-03-2014, 04:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khal View Post
Don't get me started on the coaxial/fixed-pitch/collective-pitch thing!

Pretty much a myth, in my humble opinion. It all comes down to circumstances.

Given that the T-28 is purpose-built trainer 'plane in The Real, it stands to reason that a good model of it will be a suitable trainer, as well.

I've never flown that particular model but have flown similar ones and, in my humble opinion, with the correct attitude and process, that will be a perfectly fine first 'plane, certainly for someone who has experience flying RC aircraft (even if it is only whirlybirds ). With sim. time, even more so.

It is generally true that high-wingers are a little more docile than low-wingers but I'm under the impression that that particular model is a very gentle flier.

it's easy to fly in the sim
Old 07-03-2014, 06:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am quite a noob to the planks and bought one of these, and I love it! No reason to fly it full throttle, it doesn't need it to cruse around and do some circuits with. And with the ailerons, unlike my other trainer, you can make some nice banked turns and some simple tricks.
edin508 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2014, 09:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
I flew this one for a little while in phoenix and it seemed fairly easy to fly but still fun. I think a trainer would be boring.

With SIM and prior 4-channel heli experience, you may be able to fly this plane just fine. Just make sure you are in a very wide open area and realize that this thing is going to fly faster than you expect it you the first few times out. Once you get used to it, it slows down a bit and is a great joy to fly

PS: Mods, could you please update the title of this thread to T-28 instead of T-18. I am able to perform this action and would feel less silly about this title if that assistance is available
Old 07-20-2014, 12:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok, I picked up the bnf yesterday to play with. hopefully I can keep it in one piece for a bit
Old 07-20-2014, 02:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Read up on tip stalls too. After helis I figured I would go to the T-28 and it flys great. I would fly it slow, but wondered why every now and again it would just dive into the ground. Found out later I was experiencing a tip stall, flying too slow then trying to turn. Boom, into the ground.

Just be aware.
ronj is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2014, 05:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronj View Post
Read up on tip stalls too. After helis I figured I would go to the T-28 and it flys great. I would fly it slow, but wondered why every now and again it would just dive into the ground. Found out later I was experiencing a tip stall, flying too slow then trying to turn. Boom, into the ground.

Just be aware.
not sure if this is what got me or not...but I certainly plowed it into the ground. Honestly I probably should have started off with something a little slower as it's a pretty big field and I just felt like I was constantly fighting to not fly out of it.

I'm frustrated, maybe I'll just count my losses and stick with heli's

It messed up the prop, and tore thepiece with the female threads out of the fuselage where the wing mounts. Cracked the motor housing, but it might be ok. Hopefully that's it.
Old 07-20-2014, 06:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

This is a great flying plane. Get some foam glue and kicker and piece it back together.
edin508 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2014, 09:25 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sounds like my crash. Some CA, epoxy and/or some white drying Gorilla Glue is
all you need to get it together and going again.

If your crash looked like this one at 0:48 secs, it was a tip stall. Next time just don't fly quite so slow. Keep at it, the T-28 (or is that 18) is a great plane.

RC Mosquito Tip Stall (0 min 55 sec)
ronj is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2014, 05:20 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

How does the micro version compare? Anyone know? I've almost bought the micro T28 a couple of times. I have limited aircraft experience, and limited (several years ago) collective pitch nitro heli experience.

The bigger planes just scare me at this point. I had an Apprentice last fall that I flew 4 or 5 times (without crashing) then chickened out and sold it. For some reason the smaller planes intimidate me much less.
rctoyguy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2014, 05:58 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rctoyguy View Post
How does the micro version compare? Anyone know? I've almost bought the micro T28 a couple of times. I have limited aircraft experience, and limited (several years ago) collective pitch nitro heli experience.

The bigger planes just scare me at this point. I had an Apprentice last fall that I flew 4 or 5 times (without crashing) then chickened out and sold it. For some reason the smaller planes intimidate me much less.
So true, eh? The little 'planes seem so harmless.

But much like micro heli's, micro planks can be quick, darty and unpredictable.

It seems to be a universal truth that the bigger it is, the gentler it flies.

The AS3X system has gone quite some way to mitigating the problem. For example, I have the UMX Pitts and that thing flies like it's twenty times its size. Simply amazing.

But even more amazing still, and what I'd recommend if you want to ease back into flying with absolutely minimal stress, is the UMX Radian.

I have one of these, too. And GBLynden has an excellent thread on it, -->here<--

It is a delight to fly. I used it to teach a colleague to fly and with ZERO experience, he was looping it a few minutes into the flight. Hand on heart, not a word of a lie. It is THAT easy to fly (well, it helps if one has an amazing instructor, too... )
Old 07-22-2014, 09:15 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Parkzone T-18 Trojan

I had the little guy I had only flown a plane maybe 6 times before. A couple of light crashes and off I went. Though with a small field I was always turning. But I got board with it hard to keep it inverted or do much challenging stuff. 3d fomies I find a lot more fun and challenging.
Fooferdoggie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2014, 08:53 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

had my first sucessful flight with the t-28 saturday. It flew pretty well.

I had a hard time taking off in the grass, it wanted to nose into the grass on take off. I have read that some people hand launch them. I put the thunderbird wheels on it to make it roll easier in the grass, but still didn't do well taking off. It landed ok.

Hopefully next time the grass will be a little shorter and it will take off better.
Old 08-22-2014, 04:03 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

I lost my first one that I had installed flaps on when the rudder servo failed and got stock fully cocked to one side and it fell behind a huge wall I couldn't get to.It had a power 10 with an extra 300 prop and a 40A ESC. Would climb till I lost sight of it. Had it for nearly 2 years.

I'll take ownership of my second one today since the PNP is back in stock and will have flaps installed in it before I maiden it tomorrow.
MrSinister is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2014, 11:27 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

I aboslutely love my T-28. I have the USAF version. I've set it up to have max throws on all control surfaces. It can be flown slow and smooth or fast and wild. Having max throws really let's you do some cool aerobatics.
Planes: Crack Yak, Habu, F-27Q Stryker, T-28D, UM P-51D, P-51 BL, UM SU-26XP, P-47D, UMX Beast v1 & 3D, UMX Sbach 342, UMX Extra 300 3D, UM F-27Q Stryker, H9 Mustang 40, UM Mosquito, Sky Angel 650mm Mustang/550mm FW190, FMS B-25, 64mm Mig-15 XG11 DX8
ElIntocable is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2014, 08:05 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just have the throws in the stock locations on mine. Ailerons are starting to seem slow. I suppose it's time to move to another hole on the arms.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:22 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I just have the throws in the stock locations on mine. Ailerons are starting to seem slow. I suppose it's time to move to another hole on the arms.
Move them all for max throw. Reinforce the hinges. Thank me later...
Planes: Crack Yak, Habu, F-27Q Stryker, T-28D, UM P-51D, P-51 BL, UM SU-26XP, P-47D, UMX Beast v1 & 3D, UMX Sbach 342, UMX Extra 300 3D, UM F-27Q Stryker, H9 Mustang 40, UM Mosquito, Sky Angel 650mm Mustang/550mm FW190, FMS B-25, 64mm Mig-15 XG11 DX8
ElIntocable is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2014, 09:08 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

It really is a great plane!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in