Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 450X

Blade 450X Blade 450X Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2012, 07:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default ESC Basically Melted

On my third flight today when I landed I tried to unplug the battery and the esc connector had melted to the battery connector. Had to use pliers to get it off. The battery is the stock battery. After looking over the esc it looks like it got wayyyyyyy hot. I've got 9 blade helis and have had more problems with this 450 x than I'll even mention. They told me to send it in (again I might add) and they'll look it over. I'm not about to send it in and wait two weeks for them to tell me yeah your right the esc overheated. At only about two months old this is bs. I've been fiercely loyal but after this problem and them asking me to send it in which will cost more than the esc itself I'm thinking my next heli from here on out will say "Align". If horizon is listening your losing thousands over the next few years because of your refusal to do what's right and just replace this thing which is under warranty! I'd be more than happy to have sent the old fried one in while they send me a new one.

Anyways anyone know of a better esc that I can put in this heli?
green4191 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2012, 07:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Maybe it's not just the ESC....

See if you can send the whole 450X in....hopefully the will replace it.....

Just be nice on the phone, and you're likely to talk them into it.....

I hope they give you satisfaction....

FWIW
EEngineer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2012, 07:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Maybe just send in the ESC? FWIW, I've had to have mine replaced twice now. I have a HobbyWing Platinum-40A-PRO on order from Hobbypartz, it shipped today. The standard ESC on the 6HV kits is a HobbyWing and it seems that a really high percentage of people just go ahead and run them because they're pretty solid.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've had good luck with the hobbywing platinum 100 amp I got with my Gaui 425. So a 40 or 50 amp Hobbywing ESC would be a good choice. I'm personally using a Castle Ice Lite 50 in my 450x because I'm trying out the governor. Seems fine and I have the servos (and 7200bx) running at 6 volts.

--Jason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jasong911 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2012, 10:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

That was another thing I liked about the HobbyWing ESC. It's one of the few 40A ESCs, that I could find, that you can set the BEC output to 6V.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckledragger View Post
That was another thing I liked about the HobbyWing ESC. It's one of the few 40A ESCs, that I could find, that you can set the BEC output to 6V.
If you send me one, I will characterize it, including the voltage undershoot...the SBEC, I mean....
And I'll send it back, thoroughly abused...er...I meant "tested"....lol
Old 07-11-2012, 10:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

LOL. I have 3 non-flying helicopters right now so I think I'll probably put this in the 450X when I get it.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Send it to them and you'll get it back fairly fast. Im on my second replacement so far, and both took 1.5 weeks from sending it off to arrival at my door. Both my problems where alot less severe and where replaced no questions asked. HH warranty is phenominal

Currently I'm using a YEP 45A ESC with the Scorpion -6 on a 12T, Governed at 3400 RPM. The ESC is actually a clone of YGE, and it no kidding has actual YGE firmware (will program with a real YGE card). The GOV works amazingly well. If you know anything about YGE, you know they have one ofthe best ESC GOV's around.

$30 for both the ESC and Prog card at HobbyKing, can't go wrong.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I sent mine in on Saturday and they shipped the replacement yesterday.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckledragger View Post
LOL. I have 3 non-flying helicopters right now so I think I'll probably put this in the 450X when I get it.
Rodney, while my response was joking, I would be willing to analyze a variety of internal and external SBECs.......free of any charge, other than shipping........

And if anyone could have a website, I would gladly perform the SBEC analyses and post the data...so that we all can compile a database of SBEC performance.....

Just a thought.....FWIW....
Old 07-13-2012, 05:07 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for the input.. I was in a hurry so I just replaced it with the stock esc and it's flying like a rock star. I don't know what the deal has been but I've had tons of trouble with this particular heli. I'll replace it with a better one soon. I just didn't want to send it in AGAIN! But since I replaced that I went ahead and went over every millimeter of it and went through the full setup for good measure. Now let's see how long it lasts..think I'll convert everything to deans when I change it out again.
green4191 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2012, 05:39 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

EE has done some tests on the stock ESC/BEC and has come away with some good data. Basically it's a solid entry level ESC.

TBH, I haven't had any issues with my three 450X helis (I've had three Blade 450's but have two 450X's atm) so I'm keeping the ESC's stock for the time being as they are working fine.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:53 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by green4191 View Post
Thanks for the input.. I was in a hurry so I just replaced it with the stock esc and it's flying like a rock star. I don't know what the deal has been but I've had tons of trouble with this particular heli. I'll replace it with a better one soon. I just didn't want to send it in AGAIN! But since I replaced that I went ahead and went over every millimeter of it and went through the full setup for good measure. Now let's see how long it lasts..think I'll convert everything to deans when I change it out again.

So have i, to the extent that it failed again after all the upgrades i had done... this time the Ar7200BX (2 nd one in two months) again tested by HH and found to be faulty ( they sent a replacement)

Had my belly full of this crap!, stripped the electronics off... and Binned the damn thing.

Head/ frame etc was goosed as i managed to get it inverted before touching down just to make sure i would not be interested in re -building it made me feel better.. never will i buy anything more than an indoor heli from Blade.

Never flown such an un-reliable POS ever! in comparison my cheap as chips Tarot 450 pro v2 , with ZYX performs flawlessly every flight.
retired to the black bin bag!!

Flying_Amp is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2012, 02:28 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

FA, so I take it that you won't be getting a 500X.....lol

I'm sorry for your bad luck....
Old 07-13-2012, 02:36 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEngineer View Post
FA, so I take it that you won't be getting a 500X.....lol

I'm sorry for your bad luck....
No m8 definitely not.

Old 07-13-2012, 06:14 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

FA sorry about your bad luck....that is a really unfortunate.

Do you think the ESC was the cause and toasted you BX?

I had an initial 'fall out of the sky issue' but once I went 6v I've had a couple of great helis even after some pretty solid crashes.
Old 07-14-2012, 04:34 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by FailureToFly View Post
FA sorry about your bad luck....that is a really unfortunate.

Do you think the ESC was the cause and toasted you BX?

I had an initial 'fall out of the sky issue' but once I went 6v I've had a couple of great helis even after some pretty solid crashes.
After the last incident i changed the stock ESC to a hobby wing 40 amp, fitted an external bec (rated at 10amp, set on 6v) step down lead to the tail servo, and on top of all that, i also fitted a TM1000 telemetry unit.

I had a bout 6 flights on it, telemetry always reported everything within acceptable ranges.
on the seventh flight i was just coming back to the field from doing a few FFF, and some loops, for the damn thing to start doing it's own thing again, ie i had no control.
no frames lost on telemetry, pack voltage 11.1v under load. and RX 5.9v.

That did it for me.... no more was i going to waste my time and money. Thanks to the many folk that i have met on here and done their best to help with the issues.

It's a shame as the heli does fly great.... i must just have had some gremlin with mine.HH confirmed the AR7200bX would not even bind when they recieved it, and replaced it again. (3rd one now)

Old 07-15-2012, 12:12 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

never had a problem with mine. maybe the gear mesh is to tight?
ritzcrakers is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2012, 05:43 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritzcrakers View Post
never had a problem with mine. maybe the gear mesh is to tight?
M8, this heli has been to HH, had its ESC replaced twice, AR7200BX 3 times,, shall i go on?

Sorry if i come across annoyed, but i do know how to set belt tension after stripping and rebuilding this heli near 10 times in 2 months, infact could probaly do it with one hand tied behind my back, and blindfolded.

But thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in