Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Compass Helicopters > Atom 500

Atom 500 Compass Atom 500 Model Helicopter Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2012, 12:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Atom 500 swashplate ball link snapped!

Hey guys, was doing some night flying today beside Square One's parking lot, luckily landed safely, apparently the swash plate ball link snapped when you can here the pop at around 4:15 minutes in the video, thank God was really close to ground and landed safely. So, do you guys think I should take the remaining screw inside the swash plate out and just put a ball link, or should I just get a new swash plate? As far as I can tell, I did size the delrin ball link a little bit on the loose side, do you think that might be the cause? I do have some play before when I hold the delrin tube and had a bit up and down play from the swash plate ball link. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0885.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	319409  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2012, 01:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lol, i just realized that i have another 2 swash balls to use since i dont have any follower arms!
Old 05-25-2012, 03:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok, just found out that my swash to pitch delrin ball link was hitting the outer swash plate side all the time with a 1.5 mm spacing that i was using, i can see some wear beside the delrin ball link, stock ball link without spacing was making the delrin ball link touching the inner swash plate. I found two 1mm spacers in the bag with some thin washers, fit it in and now its good.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Glad you got it fixed. Nice flight and pretty city lights, but be careful flying in cities like this... could have issues with law enforcement.

GUYS REMEMBER:
These balls should not be overtightened! This pre-loads the tiny threads, adding to the stress that can lead to shearing. Let the thread-lock do the work and just snug the balls up.
Check your interactions carefully. When I set up swash/FBL controller, I often spin the head by hand and move cyclic stick to corners. This will show me if links are in danger of hitting something and how bad the binding might be. (Usually it won't be that bad in the air though.)
As Daniel mentioned the plastic ball link to swash can hit the swash when the balls are spaced out. You want to be sure the links are adjusted to be straight on the ball and not side-ways. Then turn by hand and use radio to check before flight.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb White View Post
Glad you got it fixed. Nice flight and pretty city lights, but be careful flying in cities like this... could have issues with law enforcement.

GUYS REMEMBER:
These balls should not be overtightened! This pre-loads the tiny threads, adding to the stress that can lead to shearing. Let the thread-lock do the work and just snug the balls up.
Check your interactions carefully. When I set up swash/FBL controller, I often spin the head by hand and move cyclic stick to corners. This will show me if links are in danger of hitting something and how bad the binding might be. (Usually it won't be that bad in the air though.)
As Daniel mentioned the plastic ball link to swash can hit the swash when the balls are spaced out. You want to be sure the links are adjusted to be straight on the ball and not side-ways. Then turn by hand and use radio to check before flight.
+1 Thanks a lot Caleb! Understood and most likely wont do that again, was flying the unharmful night vapour, and just had the itch because the street lights was really bright lol.
Old 05-25-2012, 02:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well stated, Caleb!
Old 05-25-2012, 03:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

also, after crashes check these bolts as they can loosen up a bit and allow them to wiggle and fatigue
Scorpion Power Systems/Batteries
Spartan RC
John Cook is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2012, 03:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cook View Post
also, after crashes check these bolts as they can loosen up a bit and allow them to wiggle and fatigue
Thanks John Cook, I changed them with new bolts and mount them on the other 2 holes that weren't used, since I don't want to bother taking that piece out. Should be ok?
Old 05-25-2012, 03:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

should be I would think
Scorpion Power Systems/Batteries
Spartan RC
John Cook is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2012, 10:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

I'd also suggest using red instead of blue loctite. On small threads, there's less for the loctite to grab onto, so red is warranted.
Graupner MZ-32

Experience is something you gain only after you need it.
I wouldn't mind social media so much if it didn't involve people.
TheBum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2012, 11:58 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBum View Post
I'd also suggest using red instead of blue loctite. On small threads, there's less for the loctite to grab onto, so red is warranted.

Just a note. Please refer to loctite number when you are suggesting like this. Red, if that is 222 you meen, that's not as good as 243 which is medium strength. And not, under any circumstances use loctite activator unless you really are in a hurry. That removes a lot of the strength from the loctite due to shorter curing time. :-)
Old 05-29-2012, 12:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Alway replace the ball link on the derlin rod if there is play.
My came off while doing a roll over into inverted flight
jchen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2012, 05:34 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi

Does anyone know the part no and/or dimensions of this spacer washer that goes on the ball link connecting the swash to the delrin connector rods.

I thought they only gave a little extra leverage, seems they are essential.

I lost mine and can't see any references to them in the fbl instructions or the original manual.

Also do you use the same bolts when the spacer is added, obviously this means there is less thread available to go into the swash plate.

The size of the heads on the bolts that goes into links makes iw a little difficult to use normal bolts.

Mostly grateful

Thanks
Mostly is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2012, 06:36 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

OK
The dimensionof the spacer is 3.5 OD x 1.9 ID x 1
I guess the bolt part number 80-0208s will take care of the extra distance.

The washer/spacer doesn't seem to have a part number so not sure how to get hold of one.

Mostly
Old 06-04-2012, 04:07 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Important bit

Found it in the end
The part no for the ball link spacer is 06-0404s

Mostly
Old 06-04-2012, 03:25 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mostly View Post
Found it in the end
The part no for the ball link spacer is 06-0404s

Mostly
Do not use that spacer, that's for the servo to swash ball link, too thick for the pitch arm, but the screw of the bag is what I'm using just cut a little less than 1 mm off. The spacer should be around 1mm thick, just to clear the pitch ball link a bit from hitting the inside swash.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0921.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	321983  
Old 06-05-2012, 08:47 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks

I think I intended to say 06-0405s

This is what I think would do the job

Otherwise I will have to round off a 2 mm nut as described elsewhere.

I will get there eventually

Mostly very simple
Old 06-05-2012, 09:35 AM   #18 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

I'm not sure why you'd need to round off the nut. Before I got the spacers from Mike at Nankin, I test fit a 2mm nut and had no rubbing issues.

That part number you cited is for the outer swash balls to reduce cyclic deflection. The spacers are too thick for the inner balls.
Graupner MZ-32

Experience is something you gain only after you need it.
I wouldn't mind social media so much if it didn't involve people.
TheBum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2012, 03:19 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

I can't believe they still have not sourced those spacers out. These spacers are probably the most sought after part for the Atom. I had started inquiring about these when I first started building my Atom, 2 years ago! The spacers 06-0405s will work as that was all I can get my hands on. You still need to take a miniscule amout off of the link, you will be able to tell where once it is in place; but it was the best fit I can find. I had no ill effects when I had my Atom, it flew just fine.
skinart76 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2012, 02:33 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default dIMINISHED my NUTS but back in the air

Thanks for all your help

I have checked with the nuts and I definitely need to take quite a bit off them for the mod to work, the swash would not rotate, with the nuts as are. In fact they lift the top of the swash. Maybe the newer versions have a more streamlined swash with less meat (ie cost).

Also I will need to grind the heads of some standard 8 mm bolts.

My thinking is that it would simplify everyones life if Compass did fastener kits for each model.

Anyway can't complain too much the heli is shit hot, so I guess they know their onions.

Mostly grateful

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in