Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Spartan RC

Spartan RC Spartan RC - Quark, DS760 Gyros and other Spartan RC Electronics Factory Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2012, 08:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Constant Wag (gain setting regardless)

So I just installed my new "reconditioned" Spartan Quark and followed the installation instructions. I can already tell that this gyro is going to hold my tail rock solid as soon as I solve this tail shake issue. So I understand that if the gain is too low the tail will wag and drift slowly and if the gain is too high the tail will hunt and shake and wag (or whatever you want to call it) very quickly. My problem is that I cannot find the "sweet spot" in gain percentage. When I change the gain the wag just get slower or faster. I have heard that I should turn the gain up until the tail shakes or wags violently and then back off the gain until it stops for maximum effectiveness. The problem is that the shaking never stops! it just gets slower and faster. I have literally tried hovering at every percent of gain possible. I am using a spektrum DX6i so the HH gain setting is 50%-100%. Literally tried every percent and back again without losing the tail wag. I am using an HS-8054mg tail servo. At this point I am assuming it is something mechanical so I have ordered a new control arm, tail rotor assembly, and pitch slider. Hopefully this sorts out the problem. Any ideas on what the problem is while I wait for the new parts?
Sola_Conscientia is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2012, 01:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

show me some love people! I'm itching to get my heli off the ground again (albeit with a stable tail)
Old 04-15-2012, 02:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sounds like a vibe? what heli is it? maybe post in the relevant heli forum?
Old 04-15-2012, 05:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Connect a servo to the receiver where the gyro gain normally goes and confirm that the servo moves when you adjust the gain on the radio. Very often the radio does not operate as we'd expect as a result the gain is not changing.

Assuming the gain works correctly, the most likely cause for the wag would be a very long servo arm. Please see here: http://www.spartan-rc.com/resources/...q.php?topic=84

-Angelos

Angelos is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 12:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I am flying a EXI 450 Pro belt driven with mostly Align parts (excluding the tail).

Thanks for the response and the link Angelos. I read the the whole page and thus have a better grasp on how mechanical gain affects the way a gyro responds. Gave me a few more ideas. Looks like I have to play around with my linkage setup. Thanks again

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in