Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Spartan RC

Spartan RC Spartan RC - Quark, DS760 Gyros and other Spartan RC Electronics Factory Support

View Poll Results: What best describes your thoughts
I have Vbar/whatever ships, and will be swapping one or more over to Spartan 11 13.92%
I have Vbar/whatever ships, but will consider spartan for future helis 30 37.97%
I have Vbar/whatever ships and I'm happy, won't buy spartan for current or future helis 24 30.38%
I've been waiting for the spartan before going fbl 14 17.72%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2011, 09:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Has spartan missed the boat? Poll...

Hey guys,

Just interested in what the majority opinion is here, as a couple of guys in another forum have commented that they think spartan has missed the fbl boat and people will stick with their Vbars/SKs/Total Gs/beast even for futyre helis as its what they know etc etc...

So what do you think? Vote on the poll - id be interested to see the results.
Align T-Rex 600 EFL Pro, SK720/600MX/YGE-90HV/BL9180/BL9188
zeeflyboy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2011, 09:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think Spartan is late to the game, but considering the quality of their past products and that they don't appear to be rushing the Vortex to the market speaks very well for a very solid, well-engineered and supported device. One thing I'm not afraid of with Spartan is being an early adopter. With that in mind, at least one Vortex--maybe more--will find its way to at least one of my helicopters as soon as its released.

Scott

Spartan Vortex Inside,Team Scorpion
KBDD Team Pilot ):>

dunkonu23 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2012, 12:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't think they missed the boat. Spartan has a solid reputation and as long as their FBL doesn't have any glaring issues I'm sure many will try it, even if only for curiosity's sake. After all, it's not like people will stop building new helicopters.
NRPY is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2012, 10:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think it's too early to tell, because they still don't have anything on the market. I do think they are very late to market, and that they are risking going from being the top tail gyro company to a "me too" FBL gyro company.

That being said, I think there is plenty room in the market right now for good product. I think all of the current products have some glaring issues.

All of the systems I have used have issues, and if the Vortex addresses all of these I think they can and will be a big success. I currently have V-Bar, Microbeast, and 3GX, All of them have software useability issues, many related to english language support, and all are difficult to navigate and use easiliy.

If Spartan can make a translate the Quark into a FBL system that works as well and as easily as the Quark does I am ready to convert all my machines.

My must list would be:
1. Support 2 satellites (eliminate receiver) Microbeast misses here
2. Two dedicated power ports (no Y-cable) V-Bar misses here
3. Easy to use software. All miss here. 3GX is really bad. V-Bar is the best of a bad lot.
4. Field programmable. All miss here, some offer this option but it is poorly executed.
5. Price counts but $300 wouldn't kill me for something that works. That's why the V-Bar is currently the best.
6. This last one is a dream but... if the system could center my cyclic servos, level my swash, ask me for pitch values and then tell me we are ready to go fllying I would open my wallet and say "take what ever you need".
Old 01-02-2012, 02:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

i will be getting the spartan fbl unit.

we havent yet reached the peak of fbl unit technology, there is a ton of room for improvment.

and if they can really eliminate the problem of vibration interference, well that will be a huge game changer right there
fusionsx00 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2012, 02:13 AM   #6 (permalink)
The Capi

My HF Map location

It really depends, if Spartan comes out with a unit that is significantly better than what is out there then they will dominate the FBL market like they did with the gyro gyros. Remember the spartan tail gyros were also very late to the game. If the spartan FBL unit is only as good or slightly better than the current crop of FBL units they it will be a uphill climb.
Old 01-02-2012, 02:37 AM   #7 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRPY View Post
I don't think they missed the boat. Spartan has a solid reputation and as long as their FBL doesn't have any glaring issues I'm sure many will try it, even if only for curiosity's sake. After all, it's not like people will stop building new helicopters.
+1
Old 01-03-2012, 05:57 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

maybe its a tad biased in this forum, but the general sentiments posted here I agree with... I was surprised by the guys claiming that spartan had missed their chance.

BJB - well we already now the answers to some of your points

My must list would be:
1. Support 2 satellites - it does
2. Two dedicated power ports - don't know this one
3. Easy to use software/4.Field programmable. - should be easy to set up using the data pod, which will at first be the only option, also covers point 4.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:15 AM   #9 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Just so readers know there's something in the works:

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=342451

Old 01-05-2012, 03:35 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Personaly they have missed the boat. For now anyway.
I waited for their FBL unit to replace my 3GX. I could not wait any longer and recently bought a V Bar. I am so impressed with it that i have bought a second one.
So I will not be changing my FBL controllers for quite a while. They work great and I have never been happier.
Maybe when it comes tome to change/ upgrade I will consider, but no doubt V bar will be keeping up/ ahead of the game.I realy can't justify the expense at the moment. As they say "why fix something that is not broken"
Old 01-05-2012, 08:10 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

They haven't missed squat. It totally depends on the quality of the product. FBL systems are going to be here for quite some time. If they can bring out a unit that is as good as the 760 or the Quark and the price is right (like those were) they will soon dominate.

Trust me.....If you'd have looked around 7 years ago and asked "do you think Spartan can penetrate the gyro market?" I guarantee you the answer would have been NO. It was full of big dogs with fancy smancy products and high prices. Futaba and JR were the kings. Then poof.....Spartan entered and took a HUGE bite out of the market with the DS760.

I'm not trying to kiss butt here or anything like that but there is ABSOLUTELY NO DOUBT IN MY MIND that if Spartan brings us as good a product as their gyros and at a decent price they will become a power player overnight.
Lottomunch is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2012, 04:23 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

You have missed my point. I tried to put across that since i have bought 2 very good units, i will not waste my money now and replace them.
The spartan gyros are good. i have used them, but as the thread says have they missed the boat. Well, they have missed out on so much business so far, so in that respect they have.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:34 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

When it is released, If it is found to perform reasonably better than the rest then many will quickly start dumping their current systems in favour of the Spartan unit. Pilots that look for performance are not going to worry about spending the money to upgrade. I think my first DS760 cost almost as much as what my VBARs cost nowadays.

How many years were HH gyros around for before the DS760 was released, yet when it was released it pretty much swept the floor due to its performance.
Costas is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2012, 01:27 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsodhi View Post
You have missed my point. I tried to put across that since i have bought 2 very good units, i will not waste my money now and replace them.
The spartan gyros are good. i have used them, but as the thread says have they missed the boat. Well, they have missed out on so much business so far, so in that respect they have.
I understand your point. They have missed "your" boat. That makes sence and sounds to be the case. I'm just saying I don't think they missed the boat in terms of the heli community.
Lottomunch is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2012, 01:45 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

There were a lot of new/good gryos before I ever saw a Spartan.

but 3 years of talking about it does seem excessive https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=168210
Old 01-06-2012, 01:54 PM   #16 (permalink)
The Capi

My HF Map location

Good things come to those that wait ? At the end of the day all that people will remember is if the unit is good or not. I am interested to see what he comes out with, but even I am not sure I will be trading in my beastxeseseses for one.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:52 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costas View Post
When it is released, If it is found to perform reasonably better than the rest then many will quickly start dumping their current systems in favour of the Spartan unit. Pilots that look for performance are not going to worry about spending the money to upgrade. I think my first DS760 cost almost as much as what my VBARs cost nowadays.

How many years were HH gyros around for before the DS760 was released, yet when it was released it pretty much swept the floor due to its performance.
THIS! It can't be said any better.

Scott

Spartan Vortex Inside,Team Scorpion
KBDD Team Pilot ):>

dunkonu23 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2012, 04:44 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

well interesting comment from a spartan pilot...

Apparently the delay was no co-incidence - Angelos was waiting for a specific technology to become available. I'm guessing the gyros are pretty advanced stuff.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:50 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Lets hope he has developed the software to match the advanced gyro.
Other manufacturers have had a few years to develop their software to a point where things are very good. I would be suprised if the software will be perfect straight out. Futaba's FBL system uses better gyro's than VBar but it is the software in VBar that makes it so good. I think also the hardware in 3GX is newer and more advanced, having flown the 3GX i would not say it is better based on the hardware it has.
I like using a computer. I do not need to take it to a field to adjust. I am not sure how I would like a datapod, until I see one.
Anyway it's all speculation until it comes out. It's great to have the choice.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:14 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have yet to see a fbl unit that doesnt get affected by vibes

I know the futuba claims it doesnt, im not a futuba user.

Guess we just have to wait and see what happens and when. Ill keep flying with current fbl units untill then.

If the spartan fbl unit.delivers, im sure it will, then i will make my switch. Dont mind waiting, im still flying almost everyday and pop in to see if any news has been posted
fusionsx00 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in