Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 550 Class Electric Helicopters

550 Class Electric Helicopters 550 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2012, 06:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Tail servo on UNREGULATED LiFE?

Who runs their tail servo on UNREGULATED LiFE @ 6.6v? I'd be interested in knowing what type of servo as well.

This question comes up because my DS620 tail servo burned up & I'm trying to figure out if it may have been due to over-voltage, or if it was just a dud. I've read some people on here are running it just fine. I've read others have used a step-down regulator with their tail servos.
MeatRocket is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2012, 06:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I don't know about the 620, but I tried a 650 on straight life and it wouldn't hold after the first flight. I tossed on a step down, and I haven't had the issue anymore, so I assumed that was the problem.

However, I've read of lots of guys running straight 2s lips and having no issues. I think there are other factors in luck, setup, etc. that can affect the outcome.

Major Equipment Sponsor - AdventureRC
Discount_Bob is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2012, 06:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

About 30 flights or so and have a LiFe pack going straight into AR7200BX, align DS610 servos, DS650 on tail. No step-downs.
nynextel88 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2012, 07:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I ran an unregulated LiFe on my 700 with a DS650, with no issue.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I think mine was a setup issue. I had the ball pretty far in on the servo horn to get the resolution I wanted in the vbar, so I know the poor servo was really working overtime.

Major Equipment Sponsor - AdventureRC
Discount_Bob is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2012, 07:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I run unregulated life on my 550 with ds620. Also on my 700e with a ds650. Lots of ppl on here do the same.
I have considered putting a couple diodes in line to drop it a hair, but it's not necessary.
They are designed for 6v (6v rx pack). A 6v nimh rx pack fully charged is 7.2. I see no harm here.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I run all my setups with DS650's unregulated. Never had an issue doing this to date.
mtuccio is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2012, 08:38 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have two 550s both with DS650 on the tail. Both running unregulated 2S LiFePO4 packs. Absolutely zero issues in over 100 flights on both.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Been running mine with ds620 straight life w/o issues
gehrbox is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2012, 07:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I put another DS620 on it and (for my own paranoia) put an Align 2-way voltage step-down on it. It flies fine.

I did notice that it has an ever so slight clockwise rotation. Normally I would fix it with a little trim, but we're not supposed to do that with FBL. Could it be that I need to set tail blade endpoints again? I figured since it was the same model I wouldn't have to, but maybe I do? Could that be what's causing the drift?
Old 05-23-2012, 09:10 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatRocket View Post
I put another DS620 on it and (for my own paranoia) put an Align 2-way voltage step-down on it. It flies fine.

I did notice that it has an ever so slight clockwise rotation. Normally I would fix it with a little trim, but we're not supposed to do that with FBL. Could it be that I need to set tail blade endpoints again? I figured since it was the same model I wouldn't have to, but maybe I do? Could that be what's causing the drift?
Verify no subtrim?

What FBL controller are you using and what kind of tape or pad is it mounted to? We're is it mounted?
Old 05-23-2012, 09:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by gehrbox View Post
Verify no subtrim?

What FBL controller are you using and what kind of tape or pad is it mounted to? We're is it mounted?
I did have 4L subtrim. I might try increasing it a little. I'm using the 3GX on a single Futaba servo pad. Mounted on bottom rear bracket.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:16 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I did have 4L subtrim. I might try increasing it a little. I'm using the 3GX on a single Futaba servo pad. Mounted on bottom rear bracket.
You cannot use ANY trim or subtrim on a gyro controlled channel.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:27 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by gehrbox View Post
You cannot use ANY trim or subtrim on a gyro controlled channel.
I had subtrim on AIL Pitch & Elevator as well. I backed up my settings to SD card and then zeroed thos channels out. I'll test it tomorrow. If it's totally off, I'll go back to my saved settings.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:10 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Most fbl controllers have a subtrim function built into setup on the controller itself. Is 3gx not the same? Hell, copter x and tarot have this function on zyx.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:17 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I had subtrim on AIL Pitch & Elevator as well. I backed up my settings to SD card and then zeroed thos channels out. I'll test it tomorrow. If it's totally off, I'll go back to my saved settings.
I did a little searching here on HF and found a reference (among several) that discusses subtrim on a 3gx to achieve 90 on the servos, but it specifies to only apply the subtrim while in DIR mode. If your subtrim was applied in DIR mode you are fine, but if you set it out of that mode it may be the cause of the issue. It's not something you apply to trim out flight, only used to achieve 90 on the servos during setup. You might want to check it out before your next flight. https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=415443

Here's another one saying the same thing https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=375834

I'm flying a beastx and subtrim on it is accomplished on the controller, not the transmitter. Looks like the 3gx is different, but still very specific about when it is acceptable to do it.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:19 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

you do not use subtrim when setting up tail on a 3gx. you rotate the arm to its optimum position and then adjust linkage to perfect geometry of the slider. a little error is not okay on cyclic because the servos interact. on the tail it doesn't matter.

the above applies pretty much to setting up any tail, it is not unique to 3gx. and as long as endpoints are set, sub trim offset isn't going to cause any ill effects.
koppterx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in