Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2012, 09:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Opinion on puffed Turnigy LiPo needed

Hello everybody,

I have a Turnigy nanotech 3S 2200mah 35C lipo (It's the only Turnigy Battery I ve ever owned) and from the first 10 cycles, it seems to be permanently puffed and I am sure they weren't when I got them out of the package. Basically, this was bought last summer when I quit the hobby so I storaged charged it and would check it for correct voltage every 2-3 weeks and was always at 3.8V all across the cells just like I left it. Now that I am back I got the Blade 450X which has significantly more energy needs than the Blade 400 that I used this pack on before I quit and it seems like every 20 flights now the permanent puffness is getting slightly bigger. Also, after landing doing tic tocs rainbows, it puffs even more, but it calms down after a few minutes. So I went ahead and cut carefully a piece of the heatshrink on the side of the LiPo and watched not to hurt any cells. The pics show what the cells look like. The IR on this pack is 4 - 5 - 5, so it's not tired at all and I always charge it at 1C, mostly 2C. The question I have is, should I continue using it and pull 20-30 more flights from it, or just retire it? Any specific tests I can do to see if its capable? Are the turnigys known to puff after so few cycles? I figure the more experienced here can help a little. If you need more info, I can provide it!

Regards,
Andrew
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0022.jpg
Views:	742
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	323954   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0025.jpg
Views:	722
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	323955   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0026.jpg
Views:	766
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	323956  
Blade 450X
Heli.Maniac is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2012, 09:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

You should see mine. Looks like an egg...
CAP21 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2012, 09:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

These are cheap cells in general.

I wouldnt take the risk of either running it or even worse charging it.

Throw it away (after discharging it safely), and buy some new packs.
jimmyhorns is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2012, 09:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

hi,

i have some 2s 2200 25C Turnigy Nano-Tec and they are similar puffed like your pack.
Those Nano-Tec are known to puff very fast. The blue Turnigy Cells are fine, but nanos aren't.

I use them sometimes (i.e. every 4 weeks), when i like to fly my small heli.
But i allway's have an very bad feeling when i'm charging those balloon packs. . So it's your choice/risk .

maybee it's better to put them into the waste.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I consistently hear about the Nano-tech's puffing. I have quite a few regular Turnigy packs, 3000mah 30c 6s. I haven't puffed a single one and after tons of flights all but one still has really good IR. I have one that has a single cell reading 16, all the rest still have an IR of 2-3 per cell, a couple with 4.

If it's slightly puffed after flying I wouldn't worry too much about it but if it's puffed long after flying I would dispose of it.
Mike A. is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2012, 10:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

When my batteries puffed, I posted a similar question

Got lots of opinions, few facts

So, I looked for articles. Again, lots of opinions, few facts

Battery company lawyers say "dispose of them at the slightest sign of swelling"

Budget conscious pilots say "I fly em when they look like footballs"

My own working assumption is...

Puffing is caused by gasses that are the result of chemical decomposition

If the pressure gets too high, they rupture and can catch fire

Puffing indicates something is wrong

Puffing increases the odds of catastrophic failure by some unknown amount

I trash my puffies when my vague sense of discomfort crosses the fuzzy line into genuine concern
Old 06-12-2012, 10:15 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Bobby Watts says to stick a puffed lipo up to your face and smell it...If you smell a sweet smell it's not good...throw it away.

Personally I won't stick a puffed lipo up to my face...
Mike A. is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2012, 10:39 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned User

I think all the reports of nano tech packs puffing comes from pushing those 35C packs waaay too hard.

I've also heard that their 65C packs dont have this problem.
kavic5150 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2012, 10:56 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike A. View Post
Bobby Watts says to stick a puffed lipo up to your face and smell it...If you smell a sweet smell it's not good...throw it away.

Personally I won't stick a puffed lipo up to my face...
The smell - is quite distinct. I've had some really bad mSR ones die after 10 cycles. As you might guess the QC on these tiny lipos is not the real best. One of them actually ruptured spontaneously but did not ignite.

My point being - these tiny lipos don't contain a lot of energy - and would possibly be the safest ones to experiment on if you wanted to get a whiff of what they smell like when they die, but do naturally take appropriate precautions.

spykez is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2012, 12:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

I saw that about Bobby Watts, it has a weird smell - kind of like the electronics smell but different cant really explain what it smells like ,but the same smell but a little less noticable goes for one Voltz I have which is working perfectly and has no puffness or never puffs after flying. I have a little discomfort with it, I always run it last after I have no more fresh batteries left. So, those Nanotechs are a no no if i got it correctly. Also, how come my Voltz 35Cs never puff in-flight but this one puffs, even though it says 35C-70C burst?
Blade 450X
Old 06-12-2012, 12:50 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Almost every single Turnigy I've ever bought, and that is many, has puffed like hell. I'm running the 2200 25-35C, and I'm not even a stick banger, and they puff. Not such a Turnigy fan anymore because of this, although I've only had a couple actually die on me in the last couple of years. The puffed ones seem to still produce capable current though, and fly til the timer runs out.

The Sky Lipos I bought actually are the ones that scare the crap out of me. They NEVER puff or give any indication of giving up, until your flying, then they just up and run out of power in a matter of 2 or 3 seconds...Weird...
Cra-Z-1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2012, 12:27 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've got some 6s 3300 Nano-Puffs for my 600. I have no idea why they would even consider puffing, as I've never pushed them below 20%, never drawn more than 25C (and that's momentary burst, average is more like 18C.) They are always just slightly warm after landing. Four packs are 35-70C, two packs are 45-90C. Pisses me off that they puff so easily.

Fellow plank fliers are using 6s 5000 blue Turnigy packs, and no signs of puffing at all. I think these NanoTechs are decent performers, but their tendency to puff early could spell trouble. I'm concerned they won't survive 50 flights.
T-Rex 700 HV DFC w/VBar, Kosmik 200 & KDE700XF - My muscle heli
HFMan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2012, 12:38 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFMan View Post
I've got some 6s 3300 Nano-Puffs for my 600. I have no idea why they would even consider puffing, as I've never pushed them below 20%, never drawn more than 25C (and that's momentary burst, average is more like 18C.) They are always just slightly warm after landing. Four packs are 35-70C, two packs are 45-90C. Pisses me off that they puff so easily.

Fellow plank fliers are using 6s 5000 blue Turnigy packs, and no signs of puffing at all. I think these NanoTechs are decent performers, but their tendency to puff early could spell trouble. I'm concerned they won't survive 50 flights.
Yep, a walk from the hobby shop which sells Nanotechs and everywhere you looked, you could see puffed nanotechs (from those that were used on helis, the new ones they were selling were flat). So never again, I may try Gens Ace, I have to wait for stock, but at least I know they will perform as promised.
Blade 450X
Old 06-13-2012, 04:44 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

cheap packs- expencive packs.... well..... my flightpower rx packs puffed out of box.... the 6s flightpower packs puffed after 3 cycles..(non crash)...

have some cheap 4s packs, that has taken a lot of smacks, a lot of cycles--- still going strong.
my kong power 3s packs only one puffed, a lot of cycles on them....

Tags
2200mah, 450x, nanotech, puff, turnigy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in