Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 450 Class Electric Helicopters

450 Class Electric Helicopters 450 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2008, 11:58 AM   #21 (permalink)

Default Stripped gears.

I have experienced stripped gears when the rotor blades has cut some serious grass. This has happened twice now. There were not a scratch on the blades so it was minor strikes. Dont ever put in High-Tech HS55 servos in your heli they are cheap crap!

Regards "Per".
stenkilde is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2008, 03:30 PM   #22 (permalink)
HF Support

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by stenkilde View Post
I have experienced stripped gears when the rotor blades has cut some serious grass. This has happened twice now. There were not a scratch on the blades so it was minor strikes. Dont ever put in High-Tech HS55 servos in your heli they are cheap crap!

Regards "Per".
I held out on metal gears for a long time. BIG MISTAKE!

Rick
rdlohr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2008, 07:57 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

im getting tired of changing out my HS65HB karbonite gears, specifically on the aileron servo and am wondering if i can just purchase HS65MG Metal gears and use them for my HB? is it a direct install without any modifications?

if it does fit would there be speed differences between one MG servo and 2 HB servos?

Thanks
blueprint is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2008, 09:36 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default works

It's a straight trade to go to metal. No changes required. No differences in speed noted on next flight, at least for me.
DA54 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2008, 09:41 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA54 View Post
It's a straight trade to go to metal. No changes required. No differences in speed noted on next flight, at least for me.
Thanks... there is about a $10 difference between the two sets and i think it will be worth it.
blueprint is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2008, 08:41 PM   #26 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueprint View Post
Thanks... there is about a $10 difference between the two sets and i think it will be worth it.
Absolutely!
Rick
Old 04-15-2008, 05:46 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hi all,

im running HS56 KG and im fed up of replacing the gear sets. So im thinking of going down the HS65 MG route. If i do this and when i next crash if the servo's dont give is there then normally another part that goes?

Thanks
ipjodan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2008, 04:22 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sorry its slightly off topic guys but to you mount your HS65s inside the frame like Finless' videos or outside like in the manual?

Its going to be a lot easier to pull out a servo to change it if they're mounted outside but I'm worried about the geometry.

(I'm upgrading from a CDE XL)
giskard is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2008, 04:56 PM   #29 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipjodan View Post
Hi all,

im running HS56 KG and im fed up of replacing the gear sets. So im thinking of going down the HS65 MG route. If i do this and when i next crash if the servo's dont give is there then normally another part that goes?

Thanks
Never had a problem.
Rick
Old 04-17-2008, 04:57 PM   #30 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by giskard View Post
Sorry its slightly off topic guys but to you mount your HS65s inside the frame like Finless' videos or outside like in the manual?

Its going to be a lot easier to pull out a servo to change it if they're mounted outside but I'm worried about the geometry.

(I'm upgrading from a CDE XL)
If it is like the SE, I put mine on the inside for geometry. After changing to metal gears, I never had to rebuild them again anyhow.

Rick
Old 04-18-2008, 10:01 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Now I just have to find a file small enough to open the screwholes a little!
giskard is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2008, 08:59 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

I crashed last weekend and I thought my pitch and aileron servos were a little stripped because they were making a little noise at zero pitch like some of the gears are a little rounded over the top. I don't see anything wrong with any of the gears but, I can't get a close look at some of them because I can't get the output shaft gear off. I pull it straight up and it won't budge. How hard do you have to pull to get it off?
zagiman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2008, 09:03 PM   #33 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by zagiman View Post
I crashed last weekend and I thought my pitch and aileron servos were a little stripped because they were making a little noise at zero pitch like some of the gears are a little rounded over the top. I don't see anything wrong with any of the gears but, I can't get a close look at some of them because I can't get the output shaft gear off. I pull it straight up and it won't budge. How hard do you have to pull to get it off?
Sometimes really hard. Keep pulling, it will come off.
Rick
Old 05-06-2008, 08:27 AM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

A little help please. I rebuilt an HS 65 with carbonite gears ( I'm waiting for 3 sets of MG's I ordered, but wanted to fly while waiting). When I put the tiny gear in second, after assembly I could see the brass motor pinion spinning freely without contact with the other gears. Then I switched the order and put the little gear in first, and everything seemed to work fine. I put the thing together and when I tried to hover it (after setting up my swashplaete), I was all over the place. A little while later the servo is stripped worse than ever. When my MG's come I want to make sure I rebuild the servo correctly. What did I do wrong the first time that the gears weren't meshing?
Thanks,
Angel
ambravo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2008, 10:41 AM   #35 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambravo View Post
A little help please. I rebuilt an HS 65 with carbonite gears ( I'm waiting for 3 sets of MG's I ordered, but wanted to fly while waiting). When I put the tiny gear in second, after assembly I could see the brass motor pinion spinning freely without contact with the other gears. Then I switched the order and put the little gear in first, and everything seemed to work fine. I put the thing together and when I tried to hover it (after setting up my swashplaete), I was all over the place. A little while later the servo is stripped worse than ever. When my MG's come I want to make sure I rebuild the servo correctly. What did I do wrong the first time that the gears weren't meshing?
Thanks,
Angel
I'm not sure what you did wrong, but the metal gears must go in in this order:

Good luck!

Rick
Old 05-06-2008, 10:45 AM   #36 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Maybe you put the little gear in upside down.
Rick
Old 07-31-2008, 03:57 AM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by damyxz View Post
Another tip when rebuilding servos, Be sure not to put grease on the potentiometer tracks or it will mess up the servo centering ability. I also make it a point to clean the potentiometer tracks with deoxyit spray cleaner and then sprayit with deoxyit gold. This makes the contact of the potentiometer better and it is lubed too, making it last longer and center really good. I get the deoxyit spray from radioshack and I have been using this spray for my studio mixers for flawless sound recording.
Can anyone please post a picture on this.. Which one is a potentiometer tracks.. Please. thanks.
zeese5 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2008, 07:36 AM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

So the other day, I stripped the Pitch and Aileron servos and replaced with MGs (finally). My elevator is still Karbonite...is there a reason to switch them out now too in order to keep everything consistent, or does it not matter?

Thanks.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:53 AM   #39 (permalink)

I have a problem after rebuilding the servo only moves in one direction could this be caused by the pot being dirty on one side?
offroader is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2008, 04:10 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

did you make sure the potentiometer is engaged properly?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in