Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Scale Helicopters

Scale Helicopters Discussions About Scale Helis, compatibility and and projects

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2015, 10:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default RCA / Roban Super Scale 700 Bell 407

I am seriously considering this model. The green and white Orange County Florida Sheriff's version. I would very much like to talk with anyone who has built and flown or is building this model Bell 407 now. What, if any issues will I run into. Any mechanics mods needed? Did the electronics and battery placement and C of G cause ant issues?

This is a huge model. If the info on RCA is correct.. then it is really an 800 size fuse. Any input would be helpful.. Thanks.
StripedGear is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2015, 01:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

There is a build on scalerchelis of this exact model. Might find some good info on that site...

Gh

PS: not wanting to violate anything by mentioning any other sites
goodhunting is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2015, 07:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bummer.. It would seem that RCA is wrong on there info of the fuselage.. which is what made me think this fuse was bigger then it really is.. Such as 71 instead of 66 inches long, 23 instead of 20 wide, according to Roban.com... Oh well.. I still would like to hear from builders.. the thread above really doesn't say much.
Old 08-24-2015, 05:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Dennis, I have a 700 size 429 and a 700 size as350, both fly great. The 429 would have the closest mechanics if not the same. I did purchase my 429 from another member here on hf and it included an upgrade kit for the mechanics and I have had no problems with it. I too would like to have the new 700 Jet Ranger but I'm running out of room for all of them!
Old 08-24-2015, 09:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

Dennis:

JestRR posted a series of shots plus a video, on scalerchelis that show the Roban 407 compared to the 700 size Marvelcraft and a 700 size Century Long Ranger that he converted to a 407. The Roban dwarfs both of them so it really is a very large helicopter. Maybe not an 800 class but certainly a very large 700+ class helicopter kit. Sometimes things are not as they seem. Take care.

Don
Keyrigger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2015, 04:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisl View Post
Dennis, I have a 700 size 429 and a 700 size as350, both fly great. The 429 would have the closest mechanics if not the same. I did purchase my 429 from another member here on hf and it included an upgrade kit for the mechanics and I have had no problems with it. I too would like to have the new 700 Jet Ranger but I'm running out of room for all of them!
Hey chris.. are you talking about a new 700 jet ranger other then the one that RCA sells?
Old 08-25-2015, 04:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyrigger View Post
Dennis:

JestRR posted a series of shots plus a video, on scalerchelis that show the Roban 407 compared to the 700 size Marvelcraft and a 700 size Century Long Ranger that he converted to a 407. The Roban dwarfs both of them so it really is a very large helicopter. Maybe not an 800 class but certainly a very large 700+ class helicopter kit. Sometimes things are not as they seem. Take care.

Don
Thank you Don.. I'll check it out. My 206 is flying great and I love the 7 minutes flight times.. It was worth the heartache getting there.. lol.
Old 08-25-2015, 06:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

These are the ones I was referring to http://www.scaleflying.com/700-Size-...al_p_4270.html both my 429 and as350 are big
Old 08-26-2015, 07:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hello,

The Bell 407 700 compactor is available from my LHS. but judging and comparing it with MC Bell407..it has some flaws when it comes to looking at it in a true scale prespective.
The fuselage doesn't have that 'bulge' as in the real Bell 407 whereas the MC 407 has it done quite nicely.
The tail rotor housing is also shorter and oddly shaped.

Well...its depends on one's opinion and choice. But since I already have the MC Bell 407..It looks better, with a little mods and additional detailing will enchance it nicely.

Cheers,
Helikid.
HeliKid is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2015, 08:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah.. that's the one I saw that Mike did.. it is a big fuse compared to the rest... I agree that the Marvelcraft has better detail.. I have been following the MC 407 build over on RR for a long time.. I did a video for them using the Shock Wave sound system with the 407 sound set at the request of Rich [206pilot]. It wasn't the best video but it gave them a good idea of what it would sound like.. The only problem is finding the room for the speakers.
I'm not to worried about all the scale details so the Roban 407 with the Orange County Florida Sheriff's scheme is looking good to me.
Old 08-28-2015, 07:21 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just purchased the Roban 407 while also building the MC407
Crazy I know 😁

I personally looked at the Roban 407 and there are a few errors in scale fidelity so I got the unpainted version n so I could make changes and add detail that I noticed right away.
While the MC407 has a little more scale fidelity in my opinion there are things I find wrong with that one also but I still like it.

The bulge is on the Roban but is not as prominent as on the MC for instance. No nose vents, fuel vents on both sides which is wrong and the side scoops are molded in without a border. There are several other mistakes.
All that said I still found it very attractive and love the full open interior. It also came with a beautiful dash which Mike displayed in his YouTube video.
Now the painted versions hide some of the mistakes which honestly most folks won't even notice.
Mine came with four HV servos and navigation lights
All in all I think it's a great deal and plan on buying more Roban fuselages as Roban listens to us and keeps improving with each series.
I have the 429 and see one of their upcoming 800 size Hueys in my stable.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:03 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would love the Huey B. Vietnam air cavalry in an 800.. When is it going to be released? Are there any prototype pics out there somewhere?
Old 08-28-2015, 08:52 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by heli143 View Post
I just purchased the Roban 407 while also building the MC407
Crazy I know 😁

I personally looked at the Roban 407 and there are a few errors in scale fidelity so I got the unpainted version n so I could make changes and add detail that I noticed right away.
While the MC407 has a little more scale fidelity in my opinion there are things I find wrong with that one also but I still like it.

The bulge is on the Roban but is not as prominent as on the MC for instance. No nose vents, fuel vents on both sides which is wrong and the side scoops are molded in without a border. There are several other mistakes.
All that said I still found it very attractive and love the full open interior. It also came with a beautiful dash which Mike displayed in his YouTube video.
Now the painted versions hide some of the mistakes which honestly most folks won't even notice.
Mine came with four HV servos and navigation lights
All in all I think it's a great deal and plan on buying more Roban fuselages as Roban listens to us and keeps improving with each series.
I have the 429 and see one of their upcoming 800 size Hueys in my stable.
I hope that you can find the time to do a build thread on the 407. I told the wife about it last night while out at our favorite watering hole and she said get it... but then she asked How much?. Going to have to wine and dine her a little more.
Old 08-29-2015, 11:56 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Dennis
You should have seen my wife's face when I told her LOL
Her response was "didn't I just buy you a very expensive Bell 429?

I just gave her a response most women use "but it was on sale"

I thought about doing a build thread but there is one already out there on another scalercheli site.
What I will do is do a thread showing before and after pics of my build depicting all the changes I make and scale details I add.

But first I need to finish the 407 I'm building already LOL

Good luck on buying a 407. Sometimes it's easier to get forgiveness than to get permission... That's what I did
Old 08-30-2015, 07:11 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Roy,
Post some pictures so we can all envy you! I just picked up a 700 as350 and love the way it flies. Really want a 407 next but I'm going to need a bigger hanger, LOL!
Chris
Old 08-31-2015, 11:05 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Chris,
please no envy, it will make me feel bad for buying it LOL

I saw their Red Bull 350 up close at RCA and it was gorgeous! I prefer the 355 but the 350 is still a great looking bird in a nice size.

I will post some pics when I get home. for some reason my work computer will not let me upload pics to this site right now.

Hey Dennis,
the new Roban Hueys will all be in the 212 and 412 series, which equates to the N model I believe. the Roban facebook page has the announcement with reference pics and they are looking for suggestions on paint schemes.

HOWEVER, Jim (coptercptn) is selling a brand new kit 800 size B model for $450.00. I can't believe it hasn't sold yet.
Jim is as honest a guy as they come, so people can buy with confidence from him. I would buy it but I am just finishing up one of the same kits.
check it out in the classifieds.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:26 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here's a pic of the Roban 407 on its legs just to see what it looks like
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1491
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	606228  
Old 09-01-2015, 08:58 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

LOL.. mine would hot for months..lol
I understand the build thread thing but maybe your thread could just deal with the mechanics and head speeds. What would be a good HS for the 4 blade head? I was thinking 1100 - 1200.. My 600 is at 1450 and I can run 1350... Anyway, I need to choose a motor.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:25 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Roy,

Since Roban B407 is a scale rc heli with full cockpit details, curiously I want to ask you where the lipos are stored? It seems there should be sufficient room to hide and store the 12S with proper CG?

Thanks!

Cheers,
George
HeliKid is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2015, 08:23 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

the batteries are placed in the doghouse also. one battery slides into a box and the second one lays across the top on a shelf.
they are just in front of the main shaft so I checked and it seems to balance well.

I will take a pic tonight and post it

Dennis, I am old school and have always set my head speed by ear. If I were to guess I would say my MC 407 is at around 1500 and it seems a little fast for me. I use motors in the 400-500Kv range depending on which helicopter and mechanics (gearing) I am using. there is a head speed calculator out on the internet where you put in your gearing, motor Kv, etc... and it works really well.

Emile has his at what seems to be a slow head speed but it flies beautifully. here is a video of his 407 this past weekend.

Emile Sheriff's 2015 Nationals winning Bell 407 fun flight (4 min 1 sec)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in