Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > mSR X

mSR X Blade Micro SRX Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2013, 07:59 PM   #181 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default A Simple Solution?

While I've been monitoring this forum since I got into helis a couple of months ago, I have been reluctant to engage because a) I didn't think that I have anything to contribute, and b) I just don't have a lot of spare time. However.....

Like most, I started out with an mCX2, moved to a 120SR, and then moved "up" to an mSRX, which I have had for a few weeks now. The mSRX exhibited all the problems that have been described on this and other forums, and possibly more. The thing seemed to have a mind of it's own.

I have a DX6i transmitter, and I tried all the fixes short of changing the link length. That seemed too extreme - beyond the design parameters of the model. Horizon even sent me a new control board, which helped some of the more egregious behavior, but didn't cure everything. Then, this evening......

As per the Blade manual for this model, I tried binding/programming under Acro instead of Heli. The difference was night and day. My mSRX now behaves as it should - vastly more stable, reasonable rudder discipline (although some cyclic correction is still required, as would be expected given the design), and corrective cyclic is actually far more responsive. I can now precisely negotiate around a small room in all orientations, and hover and land on a dime. No mix or trim required. Just let the ASX3 do what it's designed to do. I don't even have that much control with my mCX2 or 120SR. I have yet to try outdoors, but based on what I have seen I expect good things.

From my observation, there is a reason why Blade specifically advises to program the mSRX under Acro instead of Heli. There is clearly something in the ASX3 that disagrees with the latter.

I know that there is something "unmanly" about programming a heli under Acro, and this probably has something to do with the "failure" of the mSRX in the market. I fell into the same trap/mindset. It's just another example of engineering clashing with market expectation/context (speaking as a mechanical engineer).

Hope this helps at least some of you out there...
Calgary Gord is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2013, 03:39 PM   #182 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default A Simple Solution?

Sorry about the nomenclature above - I meant AS3X, not ASX3. It was a long day.

To also further clarify, I used the same settings under Acro as I was using with Heli, including D/R and expo. However, the cyclic response is noticeably smoother, consistent, and predictable under Acro. It no longer feels like I'm having an ongoing argument with the AS3X. This does make sense because with AS3X the sticks don't control the servos directly. Rather, the AS3X takes the stick "input", then translates it to the servos. And something was clearly being lost, added, or confused/altered in translation under Heli mode.
Calgary Gord is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2013, 08:28 AM   #183 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Re: Improve stability in piro, better left turn and take off

I set mine up under acro and heli both the acro its way more twitchy and agile but the throttle hold feature seems to be lost in acro
Rc Zombie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2013, 08:16 PM   #184 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rc Zombie View Post
I set mine up under acro,........ but the throttle hold feature seems to be lost in acro

Acro doesn't have the feature as fixed wing planks doesn't need it.
Häcksler is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2013, 08:56 AM   #185 (permalink)
Registered Users

Left takes some elevator/aileron finesse but I'm surprised to read about all these problems. The MSR and 120 SR both have similar issues turning left and the fly bars are constantly upsetting my elevator adjustment. I own both and they fly like wounded ducks, stalling in even the most gentle breeze. Within 30 seconds I was in love with the MSRX because it will go where I point it and not auto correct elevator. It is much more like my Nano CPX than the MSR, but much easier to tame and fly in small areas. Left may not be perfect but if you commit to the turn with a good amount of left stick forward/left and then unwind the aileron to the right it sort of works. My MSR is now officially retired and in favor of my 3 new MSRX's.
ToddMcF2002 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2013, 03:34 PM   #186 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am quite new to heli flying and recently picked up an MSR-X. It is a twitchy little thing and I was generally always fighting to keep it where I wanted. I initially attributed this to being a total newb, but came across this thread and played a little with the recommended adjustments. The swash now looks more even, and combined with a couple trim clicks here and there it now takes off much straighter and I can hold it in a hover much more accurately. Its quite a different experience flying it after making those few tweaks!

It's a tough little guy, having been crashed more times than I can count and even sustaining a crack to the frame but still flying like a champ (nothing a little epoxy can't fix!)

Now to get back to it and refine those skills so I can step up to the CP that is waiting in my closet for Christmas time.
xmetal is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2013, 10:25 PM   #187 (permalink)
Registered Users

You really don't need throttle hold as that is most used on CP helis.

USAF RETIRED 1968-1988 Vietnam Veteran
Pfloyd is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2013, 06:10 PM   #188 (permalink)
Registered Users

acro mode eh?
havent touch my bird in a while
will try that setting when i get home
thanks
prophead is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2014, 06:34 AM   #189 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Re: Improve stability in piro, better left turn and take off

I go from acro to heli I have it set yo twice in my tx I really can tell no difference
Rc Zombie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2014, 06:26 PM   #190 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have mine in Acro as well it seems easier to control. I tried the setting in the other sticky with no luck, I had problems loosing control of it.
tubadub is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2014, 10:08 PM   #191 (permalink)
Registered Users

FWIW, I've flown mine with:

* a DX6i in heli mode

* a Turnigy 9x (internal DSM2 module) flashed with the er9x firmware where there is no differentiation between heli or acro modes at all (there is only the mixer...)

* a DEVO 10 flashed with the Deviation firmware also in "heli" mode though this is also based around a complex mixer like er9x and so I doubt there's much difference

In all 3 transmitters, the heli flies exactly the same as I've got the same dual rates, expo settings, and throttle curve set for all transmitters. And of course, it flies awesomely.

So yeah, I don't know what real difference there is between the defaults of plane and heli mode on the Spektrum transmitters but you should be able to make them both fly exactly alike (assuming they aren't already....)
RoboHeli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2014, 03:52 PM   #192 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just got mine yesterday and WOW!! that thing is a handful .. Mine is on a left rudder turn it is heading in reverse hard and fast ..Right rudder it is pretty good.. But batshit crazy as I have read on here is a good way to describe..I am gonna raid my parts and do the grommets and linkage and see how it reacts.. Thank you to all that have found these issues and post the fixes and help you provide..God Bless you all !!
Terry Kelly Jr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2014, 06:26 PM   #193 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah, I just flew my mSRXs today and did some stationary piros. I can get one time around on both sides before it starts to need serious correction from my right stick.

I'm two turns shorter on elevator, two turns longer on aileron. I started from a "level" swash (level at center stick) and before I applied the MMMod to it.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:06 PM   #194 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well I tried the "mod" and while it tamed it a bit it still has trouble with going backwards when I go left it just takes off hauling.. I am going to try one more turn in on the elevator..I am up to 3 now .. see how it works. Also just installed a microheli swash and it is way more sensitive ..I like it !!
Terry Kelly Jr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2014, 04:09 PM   #195 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default MSRX

I am brand new to this hobby and have spent a little to much to give up on this msrx
These mods sound like there could be the answer to mine and many other owners nightmares.
IS there anyway at all that the ones who know how to do this amazing mod could make a youtube video and help us who are not as confident have more chance of sucsess.

This is my first post so it a bit cheeky to join a forum and ask for something before even introducing myself but i didnt want to loose the moment.

My bird is like a small sparrow hawk, its mental but i have faith that with a bit of love and care it can be tamed.lolhttps://www.helifreak.com/images/smilies/BaconDance.gif
birdman99 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2014, 04:19 AM   #196 (permalink)
Registered Users

Do you know what the result is of adjusting the links shorter or longer. Cause then it is not so hard.

The way I did it was to get in to a stable hover and then give it a small right rudder input. I watched which direction the heli went and adjusted the links to compensate for that movement. Reconnect the lipo and try again.

I did it one step at a time and got it just right. Got my advice from Jonjet.

Next week I am rebuilding my bl msrx, might make a vid then.
Dutchdrifting is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2014, 12:30 AM   #197 (permalink)
Registered Users

Picked up a used msrx 3 days ago, after flying the mcx on and off for ~1yr. I replaced most of the used worn parts on my msrx, I also did the mm mod. It actually flies now and is VERY fun.
Still learning to fly the heli while pointed towards me but can maneuver where I want to while looking at the tail.
Installing a mcpx2 rear boom tomorrow. well see what that does...
Its a great challenging step-up from the mcx, definitely no where near ready for an mcpx2. Do they still offer an in-between model like the msrx?
#1Nubie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2014, 10:01 PM   #198 (permalink)
Registered Users

Don't think so at least from a heli perspective. They've still(?) got the MSR but then without the mSRX, it goes right up to the NanoCPX, I guess.

Now, in my opinion, the new in-between model is really the NanoQX micro-quad. Since you can fly it in 6-axis (self stabilizing) and 3-axis (kind of like a mSRX but no MMMod needed!!!) I've been recommending it to all my friends interested in getting into flying RC models. Too bad Horizon Hobby doesn't offer a self-stabilizing heli of this size. I guess they let HiSky have that market!
Old 05-17-2016, 05:36 PM   #199 (permalink)
Registered Users

I recently bought one of these off ebay with the full Rakon bling in red. Loving it for a nice little FP helo for pooteling around.

Just tried the MM mod and it makes a huge difference, although I am not quite there yet. Thanks for that.

I am planning to upgrade to double brushless just because I can, and I don't want to be buying motors all the time.

I have a Spin 13500kv main motor for the nanoCPX and the Rakon BL motor mount just arrived from Vietnam along with a 6mm tail motor mount, both in red to match.

I have an XP-7a esc flashed with BLHeli tail for the main in my stash, although I think that is overdoing the esc.

I may look for a couple of XP-3a. Update: two on order!

Planning on the HP02T motor for the tail.

Here is a photo of mine with a genuine Frank Lachmund canopy that was a gift from the man himself.

The tacky tail fin will go when I do the tail upgrade, nice black CF one in my stash waiting to be mounted. Will probably paint a red line along the bottom of the skids to match them in too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	652676  
naga is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in