Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 450 Class Electric Helicopters

450 Class Electric Helicopters 450 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2009, 07:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default First crash, a few questions...

I had my first crash today. I guess it was about time, I have about 30 flights on it so far. Well, I guess the pressure is off, and I"m almost glad to get the first one out of the way.

It was 72 degrees today, and I went out to put four packs through it before work. On the first pack, I was trying out my new HD video cam, and also had a little 5in1 eDVR camera onboard. Well, it was a little windy, and I was way too low, and got it farther away from me than I ever have. I was in a cross wind at 5-10 mph, and nose in, about 120 feet away, and only about 15 feet up....bad conditions for a noob. It pitched a little sideways, and I got disoriented a little, and put it into the ground. I was a bit late on the throttle hold, too. Note to self: If you are still a noob, don't try to outfly your skills for a nice onboard vid.

At first glance, I know I need the following parts:
-Blades
-Flybar
-Spindle (feathering shaft)
-Main shaft (probably bent)
-*The two vertical pins that come out of the bottom of the head block, and into the washout block seem a bit bent, can I just buy the pins?
-Main gear lost a couple teeth
-*Should I go ahead and get a new one way bearing too?
-Bottom frame tray cracked out at one of the landing gear mounts
-Tail boom
-CF Battery tray plate cracked, but useable

I can say that the Trex 500 landing gear is TOUGH! The pipes didn't even bend, and I think the left one hit hard! Battery is fine, too! The canopy faired well, only a couple little scuffed areas.

Again, a couple questions:

-*The two vertical pins that come out of the bottom of the head block, and into the washout block seem a bit bent, can I just buy the pins?
-Main gear lost a couple teeth
-*Should I go ahead and get a new one way bearing too?
What parts do I need to replace the main gear and one way bearing?
Anything else I should inspect before ordering?
-CopTrex 450 SEv2 -Align 430XL, 35X, CC 10A, HS-65MG, GY401, S9257, AR6100e, Zippy-H 2200mAh

Last edited by Jimbo45; 04-18-2009 at 05:52 AM..
Jimbo45 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2009, 09:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'd bend back pins and flybar.

No need to replace one way (unless its bad of course)

Frame parts just JB Weld / epoxy

Just replace the main gear with the missing teeth. Use everything else. Does this have the press in one way gear? Or removable one like my SEv2? If it's press in.. you need the Align one way gear remover..

STOCK UP ON PARTS before your next crash! Buy 2 or 3 of each part your are replaceing now since those are SO typical.

That's not a bad crash at all! Just typical...

And don't forget to ZIP TIE on those skids! Then in a crash the zip ties break and NOT your frame!

I use the 500 skids too.. they are awesome.. great visibility!
Old 04-17-2009, 11:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks Slyster. After seeing that I cannot buy just those housing pins (have to buy the whole rotor housing!), I planned on just straightening them, since they are only slightly bent, if any at all. I have some spare flybars and blades on hand already.

Not sure if the CopterX SEv2 one way is press in or not...it came assembled as a unit. I think I will just get the main gear and a bearing, and the tool, just in case, along with a few booms, spindles, and main shafts. Does the bearing press into the plastic portion of the gear, or the aluminum housing that the gear attaches to, with the four screws? I really want to get the parts ordered tonight...the weather is getting good!
-CopTrex 450 SEv2 -Align 430XL, 35X, CC 10A, HS-65MG, GY401, S9257, AR6100e, Zippy-H 2200mAh
Old 04-18-2009, 12:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yeah, just carefully bend the pins back...

I would think the main gear assembly is the same as the align stuff. Your one-way bearing is probably fine. The extraction tool is very nice to have though. The one-way presses into the aluminum center hub (don't forget the green loctite).

You would probably just have to unscrew those four screws and stick the aluminum hub in a new main gear.

Check your main shaft bearings for notchiness. The top one is especially vulnerable.

That's not a bad crash...very typical (you should try harder next time). It may be your first, but it won't be the last.
Old 04-18-2009, 02:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

It would pay to power up and check your servos well - you may have stripped gears unless they are metal geared. Might also pay to check out the tail shaft to see if it is bent.

Colin
Baumann EC-145 800+ (coming soon )
Andy01 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2009, 05:49 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks, guys, for the help. I ordered all Align parts, and some extras. I got the bearing tool too, since its only $4, and I may need it in the future. I did have to buy the white main gears (3), since the blue ones were out of stock. Oh well, I am sure they will be just fine. I got some fixed length 450 Pro head links, too, to try out.

I did check the (metal gear) servos by moving them by hand, and they seem fine, but I will power it up and check them again, along with the motor/esc later this morning. The tail shaft is good to go, but when checking it, I did notice that one of the little black plastic arms that attach to the pitch slider "V" thing, was binding al little, so I'll address that too. Oh, and I discovered that the CopterX came with a 190mm flybar. I didn't realize that, and it will be interesting to see the difference with the 220mm one that is going on it.

Oh, and I hadn't heard of zip tying the LG on...I'll do that from now on. Do they stay in place alright with just zip ties?

I can't wait to get it flying again!
Old 04-18-2009, 08:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would allso checked the bearings in the bladegrips and the top bearing fore the main shaft.
They allways get notchy after a crash on my heli.
I guess a lot of people flye with bad bearings becouse they forget to check them.
Fore the one way bearing, just unscrew the senter hub from the main gear and screw it on to the new gear.
The one way bearing is incredibly thoug.
If you change the headblock to align you allso have to change the washoutbase becouse the pins and holes are slightly differense between copterX and align and will make the head bind at colective moovements.
Exo 500
Mr.Andersen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2009, 02:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken22golf
Check your main shaft bearings for notchiness. The top one is especially vulnerable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Andersen View Post
I would allso checked the bearings in the bladegrips and the top bearing fore the main shaft.
They allways get notchy after a crash on my heli.
I guess a lot of people flye with bad bearings becouse they forget to check them.
Fore the one way bearing, just unscrew the senter hub from the main gear and screw it on to the new gear.
The one way bearing is incredibly thoug.
If you change the headblock to align you allso have to change the washoutbase becouse the pins and holes are slightly differense between copterX and align and will make the head bind at colective moovements.
Ah, crap. I wish I would have seen your posts before I ordered. I took everything apart last night, and sure enough, the top main shaft bearing has a bit of notchyness (sp?). Its not too bad, it does spin freely, and I have to put a good amount of sideways pressure to detect the damage. The parts will be here tomorrow, so I guess I will fly with the bearing until I order again. I will keep an eye on it, and if it develops any play, I will get a new one coming.

Man, I hope the grip bearings aren't shot too! I will find out when I replace the feathering shaft, I guess. I suppose I could make a trip to the LHS, that is 30 miles away (never been there), and see what they have as far as bearings....
Old 04-21-2009, 06:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

can we see the vid? :-)
dodgey is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in