Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2011, 10:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Question Super Glue: How To Keep Shelf Life After Opening Container?

I've never had tremendous success with shelf life for super glue (aka, C/A, cyanoacrylate). It seems like once I open the container (tube or bottle), that after a month or so, it's "glued shut" or otherwise unusable and I end up getting irritated and tossing the unused portion in the trash.

Any suggestions on how I can use my super glue, cap it, then use it in a month or two down the road?

Also, I just returned from Home Depot with 20g of super glue for $5.67. They were also selling a 6g bottle for $3.97 - I really don't understand: Who wouldn't want to buy more than three times as much super glue for less than 50% more than the smaller amount?

Thanks & happy flyin',

Brad
Do it safely, do it often, and enjoy it. AMA #20703

Phreak Out is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2011, 10:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I had the same problem, when I used to keep my glue in my toolbox. My problem (might not be yours) was the glue bottle laying down in the toolbox. I started leaving the glue at home after throwing out too many bottles that were basically full. If I leave them standing upright, they are fine. I'm on the same bottle of CA now for a year and a half.

edit: I have to poke a paper clip down there every once in a while, no biggie.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Just cover the tip and put it in the refrigerator.
erwinseow is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2011, 11:04 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreak Out View Post
Who wouldn't want to buy more than three times as much super glue for less than 50% more than the smaller amount?
Anyone who struggles to get more than 1 use out of a bottle because the lid is glued shut.

I think the secret is to make sure the nozzle is free from glue inside and out. By inside I mean "working" the bottle to get it to suck the glue back in whilst upright (carefully and away from anything glueable including eyes, fingers etc.) Not sure what the best thing for the outside of the nozzle is, paper towel?

BTW I bought 20g of superglue from Asda supermarket for £1 (aprox $1.65) but it's probably not worth the journey for those in the USA
Visit my youtube channel: chuckleshp19
chuckles_hp19 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2011, 11:10 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

On the bigger bottles, agreed. Wipe the tip with a paper towel or tissue or something, and squeeze a few times lightly (away from eyes!) to make sure there is no glue in the neck. Then store upright. I've had mine for at least 6 months now, as good as new.

For the little mini squeeze tubes, they are pretty hit-or-miss for me. I consider them disposable. Buy the big pack of 4 or 8 and just assume you will use each one time only. When I'm done with the little tube, I make sure the cap is on tightly when done, and sometimes the glue is still liquid next time I need it (maybe a month or so later) and sometimes the whole tube is solid or jelly.

rojack is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2011, 11:13 AM   #6 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

I use a regular straight pin in all my CA bottles. I've never had a case of clogging, but I sometimes have to remove the pin with pliers. I suppose you could use a small T-headed pin to get a grip, but you can't get the cap back on that way.
Graupner MZ-32

Experience is something you gain only after you need it.
I wouldn't mind social media so much if it didn't involve people.
TheBum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2011, 12:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

DO NOT store it in the refrigerator after opening. Storing your unopened factory sealed bottles in the fridge will prolong the shelf life. Water formation is what makes CA go bad, it is impossible to prevent condensation from forming in an opened glue container. The repeated heating and cooling from going from the fridge to your workshop will only increase the amount of water that is getting into your glue.

What I have always done is buy the smallest bottle I need for a 2-3 month supply. If I know I have a large project coming up I'll get something larger but normally I only purchase the smallest sizes.
ping is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2011, 01:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I put mine in air seal container and leave it the the freezer. When I want to use it, it take it out and wait a just a bit for the glue to melt then put it right back into the freezer after use. All my CA bottles (2 oz size) last more than 10 years. The last batch that I bought are almost 5 years and and still good (I used it last weekend)
Old 06-07-2011, 01:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

TheBum: I use a regular straight pin in all my CA bottles. I've never had a case of clogging, but I sometimes have to remove the pin with pliers...

I've cleared the clog with a drill bit myself. Now the drill bit needs to be cleaned!

I must say that keeping the container in the freezer has worked best for me. I use Zap products almost exclusively, I make sure the cap area on the tube is "clean" and there is no build up inside the cap itself, prior to putting the cap back on.

Ping: Have you ever had any problems as a result of this condensation? I've never noticed this effect, what should I look for?

Last edited by Hellytriever; 06-07-2011 at 01:17 PM.. Reason: text
Hellytriever is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2011, 04:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I store all my bottles in the fridge and clean the caps and nozzles by dumping them in actetone for a couple of hours. They look like brand new after that. I use my CA bottles until they are all empty.
thevirginian is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2011, 05:02 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Thanks everyone for your comments.

The idea of refrigeration was very interesting to me so I checked out Permabond's web page: (LINK)
Quote:
Permabond Cyanoacrylates

Store Permabond cyanoacrylates in their original unopened container at 2-7°C (35-45°F). Cyanoacrylates should be stored in fairly dry atmospheres. Usually the package is sufficient to prevent exposure but please keep this in mind when choosing storage facilities for cyanoacrylates. Permabond recommends that cyanoacrylates be kept refrigerated. They should be allowed to reach room temperature before use.

Old 06-07-2011, 05:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I picked up a bottle of Maxi-Cure Extra Thick at my LHS about 6 months ago and its still good as new, I just poke a safety pin down the nozzle to make sure its clear before I cap it and like ZzEther said I make sure I store it up right but I do keep mine in my field/parts box. A buddy of mine got the big bottle of Maxi Cure Extra Thick and he said he purposely left the cap off while stirring it every day which made it even thicker which he says makes it work even better. I haven't tried this my self but his Maxi Cure seems to stay put better and dry faster than mine. Maybe Maxi-Cure has a longer shelf life than most CA's, I don't know but its the best CA Ive tried so far.
Rookiepilot83 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2011, 06:14 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Mercury Adhesives CA, bottle/tip design works incredibly well for me, and the product isn't bad either.
thetable is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2011, 09:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

+1 on the T-pin. Works very well with the bottled CA.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:16 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

I have similar problems with polyurethane glue nozzles getting clogged. Yesterday I removed one of the crusty boogers blocking the nozzle tip using a little pin I sort of "permanently borrowed" from wifey's pin cushion. Let's hope she doesn't want it back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	po uzi xxl 00180.JPG
Views:	250
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	232781  

Old 06-08-2011, 09:35 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Clean the tip in and out helps and don't store it anywhere near the excelerator!
Old 06-08-2011, 09:38 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

zapa gap lasts !
700le flagship v-bar, bls, sab,
jamming is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2011, 09:58 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I use hte pin method and my LHS sells the caps. I just buy a couple of spares and when the pin doesn't work anymore I put on a new cap.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in