Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Turbine Helicopters

Turbine Helicopters Turbine R/C Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2015, 11:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Where to get jet a or kerosene here in San Gabriel valley in socal

As the title says. I know homedepot sells the k1 kerosene but I think it's pretty pricey compared to how much kero should realy be.

Thanks
HybridCycles is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2015, 12:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Hit up an FBO at your local airport and buy Jet-A from them. Still going to cost you about the same as the bucket of K1 from Home Depot though.

No helicopters were harmed in the creation of this post.
AMA CD # 7309, Turbine Waiver# RW 890
Click Here For Bergen Intrepid Turbine Build Videos
Skiddz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2015, 12:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

You get Jet-A at a local airport that services private or corporate jets. But in today's world, they're going to want to know what you want it for... Google Alfred P. Murrah building, Oklahoma City if you want to know why...
Old 06-22-2015, 08:02 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Worse thing is, my local homedepot doesn't even carry 5gal K1 in their stores...
Old 06-22-2015, 12:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridCycles View Post
Worse thing is, my local homedepot doesn't even carry 5gal K1 in their stores...
Try Lowe's. The Home Depot just down the street from me only has 1 gallon cans of Kerosene at $10/gallon but the Lowe's right across the street (literally, right across the street) has metal 5 gallon cans of Kerosene for $35. A little more expensive than Jet-A from the airport but in my experience the heater-grade stuff from Lowe's or Home Depot is much less stinky than Jet-A when you keep the heli in the house.

Unfortunately, being in California we're on the wrong coast to have easy access to relatively cheap "pump" kerosene at the gas station as many east-coasters do. Seems we're limited to hardware store cans or Jet-A from the airport out here.
Jeti DC-16
Kiba is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2015, 12:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Where in CA are you in? I'm in San Gabriel valley. I'll check out the 2 of the lowes around me.

Have you ever considered the ULSD diesel?

Thanks!
Old 06-23-2015, 05:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8wing View Post
You get Jet-A at a local airport that services private or corporate jets. But in today's world, they're going to want to know what you want it for... Google Alfred P. Murrah building, Oklahoma City if you want to know why...
That was diesel fuel, not Jet-A or kero.

My local FBO only asked me once what I wanted it for. I just told them I had a turbine powered RC helicopter and they said, "Cool!" and filled my fuel can.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridCycles View Post
Where in CA are you in? I'm in San Gabriel valley. I'll check out the 2 of the lowes around me.

Have you ever considered the ULSD diesel?

Thanks!
I'm up by Sacramento. Looking at Lowe's webpage and putting in San Gabriel for my location it doesn't show any nearby locations that stock the same 5 gallon Kerosene cans I can get up here.

I have considered ULS diesel but haven't tried it. While some turbine manufacturers approve and recommend its use (like Kingtech) Wren hasn't cleared it for use in the 44 even though a few 44 gold users (thrust version) have tested it. Even though I could get 5 gallons of ULS diesel for $20, I'll keep paying $35-40 for 5 gallons of kerosene to keep the turbine happy and compliant with Wren's recommendations. I think I've burned about 85 gallons now since I've built the heli, so that's about a $300 premium for kerosene over diesel.
Jeti DC-16
Old 06-23-2015, 10:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiba View Post
I'm up by Sacramento. Looking at Lowe's webpage and putting in San Gabriel for my location it doesn't show any nearby locations that stock the same 5 gallon Kerosene cans I can get up here.

I have considered ULS diesel but haven't tried it. While some turbine manufacturers approve and recommend its use (like Kingtech) Wren hasn't cleared it for use in the 44 even though a few 44 gold users (thrust version) have tested it. Even though I could get 5 gallons of ULS diesel for $20, I'll keep paying $35-40 for 5 gallons of kerosene to keep the turbine happy and compliant with Wren's recommendations. I think I've burned about 85 gallons now since I've built the heli, so that's about a $300 premium for kerosene over diesel.
Have you approached your local Lowes about ordering you a couple 5 gallon cans, since it sounds like its in the Lowes distribution system it really shouldn't be a "special ordered item."
KSHeli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2015, 01:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Smile

My local lowe's takes 3-4weeks to get the 5gal jugs.

I found it at homedepot west Covina for 44$ for the 2 pack of 2.5gals. And the cashier gave me 15% off because they had me wait for about 5 mins at the register....

How much runtime do you guys think I'll get from 5gals of sport flying the Bergen mw54?
Old 06-25-2015, 02:30 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I can't speak for fuel consumption on the 54, but flight time depends how hard you fly it and the headspeed. The higher the N1 rpm, the greater the fuel consumption. If I putt around nice and easy at 1700rpm I can fly for about 12.5 minutes on a fill. If I fly like I normally do (aerobatics and smooth 3D stuff) at 1950-2000rpm the tanks are dry in about 9 minutes.

On serveral occasions I have burned through 5 gallons of kerosene in an afternoon, which is about 15-16 flights (2x 600mL tanks on the Magnum 44.)

Turbines are thirsty things, but at least the fuel is cheaper than nitro!
Jeti DC-16

Last edited by Kiba; 06-26-2015 at 03:04 PM..
Old 06-25-2015, 05:00 PM   #12 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

IGE hover on my '54 powered Bergen is just about 11.5-12 mins. Cruising around doing big air and aerobatics, I have my timer set for 10 mins and make my landing approach as soon as the 1 minute left beep goes off. I let it run at idle for about 20-30 seconds before I shut down and more often than not, the air trap is still completely full at shut down.

Total fuel capacity is about 52 ounces between tanks and the air trap.

RPM is 1650 swinging 813s.

Old 06-26-2015, 02:37 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sounds like my Bergen would be flying close to your flight times, I think mine has almost the same specs as yours.

I can't wait till I finish up rewiring this and get it up on the air. This will be my first turbine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddz View Post
IGE hover on my '54 powered Bergen is just about 11.5-12 mins. Cruising around doing big air and aerobatics, I have my timer set for 10 mins and make my landing approach as soon as the 1 minute left beep goes off. I let it run at idle for about 20-30 seconds before I shut down and more often than not, the air trap is still completely full at shut down.

Total fuel capacity is about 52 ounces between tanks and the air trap.

RPM is 1650 swinging 813s.
Old 06-27-2015, 02:24 PM   #14 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Stick to the timer. I was out in the desert flying a couple years back and forgot to set the timer. No idea how long I'd flown, but said to myself it's probably time to land. Not 3 seconds after the skids hit the tarp we were flying from, puff of white smoke and the engine flamed out.

There was maybe 1/4" of fuel in the air trap when I got to it after the blades had spooled down.

I think you'll like that Bergen. Mine pretty much goes where I point it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in