Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > Multi Rotor Support > Blade Multirotor Support > nano QX

nano QX Blade nano QX Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2013, 10:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Nano QX dx6i "Heli" Profile

Blade Nano QX Heli Profile
Thanks goes out to pfloyd, whose post about dx6i settings for mcx2 was used to template this.
Thanks also to rkweekly, who inspired me to make these notes with his initial work on finding the differences in settings.

Please keep in mind I'm not an expert, just a guy who saw an opportunity to share what I learned here for the benefit of others. Contribute and/or correct if you find something that doesn't work right, or something that works BETTER!

These settings are now as final as I can get them, they have been updated 6/20/13 following a majority of the conversation below. You do not need to read the whole conversation to get the proper settings, they are in this post.

Once you've become accustomed to the feel of these settings, you can "amp it up" by increasing your dual rates above 100%, as stated in the user's manual. This will result in faster flips, quicker piros, and some other stuff I'm not sure of because I haven't done it yet

As I do not wish to keep up two versions of this post, and I don't want to leave outdated information here, please see the most up-to-date version of these settings HERE

Anything I left out of this list didn't need to be changed from default (on a blank profile) to make it fly.

With these settings, toggling the F.Mode / IU switch is what changes between "stability" and "agility" mode, rather than the Gyro/Flap switch per the instructions in the manual. The reason for this is that receiver channel 6 on an airplane is used for Flaps on wings, and on a heli, it's used for Pitch on the main blades.

All controls appear to work fine after the updates that have been made.

Thanks to those who joined the discussion below to fine-tune things. I know there are some little quirks to making this work with "heli" settings, so if anyone finds a good way to improve these settings, please let me know, and I'll update it

Updates so far:
1) Fixed TH/mode switch bug
2) Changed mode switch from 1-0-1 toggle on IU/FMode to 0-1-0 by changing Pitch Reversing.
3) Realized that the HOLD values needed to be reversed with the previous change. Done.
4) Changed STUNT pitch values to 80 in order to provide some control when changing modes.

Last edited by jcmo; 06-29-2013 at 01:37 PM.. Reason: Fixed bugs
jcmo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2013, 01:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default A couple bugs

OK, had a chance to test the first post, found one quirk. Hitting TH with f mode switch in the 1 position causes the flight mode change as well. Looking for a way to program around that. We may sacrifice everything working "perfectly" when we choose to set up the Tx other than the way the directions specify, but we may also find creative solutions.

At least since this problem presents itself after you have hit TH, you have a chance to get back into the preferred flight mode before you take off again.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmo View Post
OK, had a chance to test the first post, found one quirk. Hitting TH with f mode switch in the 1 position causes the flight mode change as well. Looking for a way to program around that. We may sacrifice everything working "perfectly" when we choose to set up the Tx other than the way the directions specify, but we may also find creative solutions.

At least since this problem presents itself after you have hit TH, you have a chance to get back into the preferred flight mode before you take off again.
Should the flight mode be left in pos 1, I thought that it was a momentary only to change modes on the nQX

However other thoughts on TH changing mode

on some of the micro helis you have to program 10% on the TH setting - something to do with the scaling - this is for the TH throttle curve on helis, maybe worth a try setting to 10% on the pitch curve in TH

Or could you inhibit the TH switch, instead using it to bring in a mix which forces the throttle O/P to zero

I don't even have a DX6i (or an nQX yet) just shouting a few suggestions
toys2cars2toys is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2013, 03:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default I found the bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by toys2cars2toys View Post
Should the flight mode be left in pos 1, I thought that it was a momentary only to change modes on the nQX
You're right, the flight mode change is just a momentary switch toggle. It looks to me like the trigger event is the pitch channel going from 100 to zero - that or vice versa, or maybe some other subtler step in between. Maybe that's what the "-20" on the flaps setting is. Perhaps the threshold to change the flight mode setting is 80% (in normal mode or +20 reversed) on channel 6, which is the "Flaps" switch for a plank, and "Pitch" for helis

With the original post, I think the way it works is that the "1" position is where you have to keep the switch while flying. When the switch is in position '0' I get no elevator/aileron control. Switching back to '1' keeps the same flight mode and enables elev/aile. You toggle from 1-0-1 to change modes. This results in the pitch channel locking at 100 while flying. Maybe I set something up improperly to cause TH to change that. Pitch curve in IU/FMode 1 should be able to be set the same as IU/FMode 0.

It could also be a symptom that my understanding is not complete or correct about the actual trigger event.

Quote:
on some of the micro helis you have to program 10% on the TH setting - something to do with the scaling - this is for the TH throttle curve on helis, maybe worth a try setting to 10% on the pitch curve in TH

Or could you inhibit the TH switch, instead using it to bring in a mix which forces the throttle O/P to zero

I don't even have a DX6i (or an nQX yet) just shouting a few suggestions
I'm familiar with the 10% thing, I have my B300X like that, but I thought that was something to do with the dx6i's firmware or something, I hadn't thought about whether it would apply to the nQx yet. Interesting idea. I would think that UNLESS the nQx has a need for it, that would cause the props to spin at 10% power - but who knows? Well, Blade does, but they already told us how they want us to do it and we're the three year old asking "why? why? why?"

I appreciate your joining the conversation regardless of the models or transmitters you own - the more ideas we get buzzing around here, the better we'll be able to iron out any wrinkles.

Edit: Thinking logically about it I think I just found the problem looking at my post... IU Pitch set at 0. Derp. That's what I get when I stop thinking and just DO things. Fixed it! I'll be playing more tonight to see if there are any further revisions needed.

Last edited by jcmo; 06-19-2013 at 05:02 PM.. Reason: FOUND THE BUG
Old 06-19-2013, 04:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Momentary Toggle

With further thought about the momentary toggle thing, I wonder - should this profile be changed so that the 100% pitch value is at the '0' position on the IU/FMode switch?

Reason:
Generally, I flip all switches to '0' before powering on the Tx. That means that if I'm flying the nQx it's in the improper position for flight when I turn it on as configured above. I have to switch to 1 to begin flying, then toggle 1-0-1 for flight mode change. Changing the Pitch curve to

NORM
L) 100
2) 100
3) 100
4) 100
H) 100

STUNT
L) 0
2) 0
3) 0
4) 0
H) 0

HOLD
L) 100
2) 100
3) 100
4) 100
H) 100

Might produce a more desirable effect, with a 0-1-0 toggle. Any thoughts?
Old 06-19-2013, 04:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
With further thought about the momentary toggle thing, I wonder - should this profile be changed so that the 100% pitch value is at the '0' position on the IU/FMode switch?

Reason:
Generally, I flip all switches to '0' before powering on the Tx. That means that if I'm flying the nQx it's in the improper position for flight when I turn it on as configured above. I have to switch to 1 to begin flying, then toggle 1-0-1 for flight mode change. Changing the Pitch curve to

NORM
L) 100
2) 100
3) 100
4) 100
H) 100

STUNT
L) 0
2) 0
3) 0
4) 0
H) 0

HOLD
L) 100
2) 100
3) 100
4) 100
H) 100

Might produce a more desirable effect, with a 0-1-0 toggle. Any thoughts?
I think that you may have it, for a different reason
In the manual, they say use acro (plane) mode, the Aux ch6 for the mode switching needs to be reversed
So I guess you need to simulate, hi - lo - hi
Or you could use your original settings and reverse ch6

edit, oops, reading the DX8 part of the table (which is what I have) maybe the "REV" is a clue
toys2cars2toys is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2013, 04:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I think that you may have it, for a different reason
In the manual, they say use acro (plane) mode, the Aux ch6 for the mode switching needs to be reversed
So I guess you need to simulate, hi - lo - hi
Or you could use your original settings and reverse ch6
Good observation. That first post was just a rough draft planned to be revised! I think I like the idea of the 0-1-0 toggle, and now I understand it better with your pointing out the channel reversing. I guess for THIS application it's a question of personal preference, with the end result being identical. For other aircraft, this may not be a workable solution, for one reason or another.

You hit the nail on the head. Solution is to reverse the channel in my TX so I don't have to change all values in the pitch curve menu again, or I need to stop crying about my poor overworked thumbs and just change them in the PITCH menu

With that, at first I thought I would change the pitch curve, but now I think I'm going to change the reversing in the original post, and in my TX. A lot less clicking and beeping to fix it that way.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default One more mistake...

As noted in the re-re-re-corrected first post above, I made one final correction after some testing. Cheers!
Old 06-19-2013, 08:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
As noted in the re-re-re-corrected first post above, I made one final correction after some testing. Cheers!
Let me join those thanking you for this. When I programed mine with the out of the box instructinos I thought, "I wish someone who knows this stuff better than me can fingure out a way to use heli mode and the FM switch." I didn't have to wait long! The OCD part of me smiles when I see "heli" and a helicopter and not an airplane when I turn on the radio

BTW...what is "hold" anyway?
CTYankee15 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2013, 09:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

You're most welcome

For your question: programmable transmitters use more than one "curve" assigned to the vertical axis of the left stick. On helicopters, the different curves adjust the performance of the helicopter's motor and the pitch of the blades simultaneously from the left stick action.

The dx6i curves are selected based on the position of the IU/FMode switch, or the activation of the "Throttle Hold" switch.

FMode 0 = "Normal" curves
FMode 1 = "Stunt" curves
FMode REGARDLESS if Throttle Hold is on, the HOLD curves take over.

In this case, the "Stunt" curve is just used to send a pulse signal to the nQx that it is to switch flight modes between stable, and agile. On the Nano QX, while FMode = 1 and "Stunt" curve is enabled, you will not have "cyclic" control, elevator and aileron, and those controls will return when you flip back to position FMode=0

HOLD, as referenced in the post above, refers to the Throttle and Pitch curves programmed into your transmitter which are assigned to override all other throttle/pitch curves when the Throttle Hold switch is on. Throttle Hold is the "Emergency Kill" switch when you're about to fly into perilous territory or a loved one's breakfast.

On Collective Pitch helis, cutting the motor with Throttle Hold while maintaining pitch control on the main blades allows for less damaging emergency landings. Attempting to cut throttle by shoving the left stick down on one of those in upright orientation, on its "Stunt" throttle curve will throw the heli straight into the ground with "negative lift" - thrust in a downward direction. We lose the ability to rely on Throttle Hold as we have become accustomed on our more advanced helis when we program aircraft using ACRO settings.

When every instinct in your mind has come to rely on that switch in certain situations, you balk when it does nothing, I guess On this little bugger, throttle hold done more than a foot or so off the ground may cause more damage than just trying to fly out the mistake, IMO, but I still like having the option if a small family member of some sort might run into my flight path. If a person is using this as a trainer to step into more advanced helicopters down the line, getting used to TH is a M-U-S-T!
Old 06-19-2013, 10:15 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
If a person is using this as a trainer to step into more advanced helicopters down the line, getting used to TH is a M-U-S-T!
Thats me. I've got a 120SR, but still getting used to it. I've already found this will be a great trainer. I can do more than tail in flight and not worry about crashing. Even with the 120SR it would get dicey enough as I would do circles and nose in flying. Yes I could learn by trying and crashing, it is a durable little bugger, but this lets me get the 'muscle memory' and brain rewiring down much faster since I can just work on the controls and not worry about keeping it in the air.

I kept hearing the D6i (and up) were practically a must for these, I'm seeing that more and more as I use it and learn what all these controls do. Thanks again for a great explanation.
CTYankee15 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2013, 10:21 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTYankee15 View Post
Thats me. I've got a 120SR, but still getting used to it. I've already found this will be a great trainer. I can do more than tail in flight and not worry about crashing. Even with the 120SR it would get dicey enough as I would do circles and nose in flying. Yes I could learn by trying and crashing, it is a durable little bugger, but this lets me get the 'muscle memory' and brain rewiring down much faster since I can just work on the controls and not worry about keeping it in the air.

I kept hearing the D6i (and up) were practically a must for these, I'm seeing that more and more as I use it and learn what all these controls do. Thanks again for a great explanation.
You've picked a good model. With Stability Mode, you'll get the feel of orientations, playing around without too much punishment, and it will feel like a self-stabilizing flybarred heli, ex. mSR, mCX/2 or CX2/3, 120SR. With Agility Mode, you will start to get the feel of flybarless helicopters with heading-hold gyro features, like the mSRX. Management of the throttle stick and practicing your hovering orientations in Agility Mode will prepare you well for the next steps. Then you have to start all over learning inverted orientations.

This hobby is addictive. I'm going to build a house of bricks made from my ground up broken parts and melted down bags from the packaging on the spares.

Now that I think of it... The Nano QX might be a good inverted hover orientation trainer being operated upright if you create a secondary profile for it on your TX and reverse the rudder, elevator, aileron, and throttle controls. I would have to try it before I could be sure, but that would make this thing EVEN MORE useful for learning! I would be tempted to tape a little picture of an inverted helicopter on it for a useful visual. It would also be fun to hand to a friend in the inverted profile and watch their mind explode when the thing does the opposite of everything they tell it to.

Chances are, when you're ready for inverted training, you'll have a heli that can do it

Apparently you'll also get good at messing with your transmitter, because all this happened accidentally today, on the first day I had the nQx in my hands and bound to my Tx. It looks WAY more professional than it was planned LOL

Last edited by jcmo; 06-19-2013 at 10:48 PM.. Reason: INVERTED training?
Old 06-20-2013, 10:21 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Refinement:

Speaking of OCD, I was bothered by the loss of cyclic control experienced while changing modes, and could see situations where that would be very undesirable. I was trying to zero in on the -20 for Flaps that the manual suggests, and tested several configurations that had something to do with '20' switching between channel 6 @ 20% and 0%, 100% and 80%, etc. I never did find two values that were 20% apart that worked right, but switching between 80% and 0% causes the nQx to switch modes fine, and you have no loss of control while changing modes that I could tell.

I think now this is a workable set of controls without many, if any sacrifices!
Old 06-21-2013, 02:23 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great thread, learning a lot, definitely would love using Heli mode on my DX8 for the Nano QX.

I did sort of get the Hold switch to work (the way we Heli flyers like to use it) while using Acro Mode.

I set Throttle Cut option to use "Mix1" as the switch. And in the Switch Select area, the Mix setting is set to INH.

Had it working on the Gear toggle to play around with, and then re-noticed the Hold switch we all love for Heli's is also the Mix switch too, on the DX8 anyway.

My Timer is set to countdown at Throttle Out 25%, which turns itself on and off, but the Hold switch (using the Mix1 setting) also turns off the timer when I flip it up on the Hold/Mix toggle, so that's nice as well.

Looked around and didn't notice this info was already posted, so hope this helps a little.

-- John
SpinZone is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2013, 08:37 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Jcmo & Pfloyd,
Thanks for these awesome settings! TH issued fixed! I bumped up my AILE, ELEV & RUDD travels to 125 and set the D/R expo to 100/30 in 0 position. With expo at 30 in agility mode, it flies a lot like my nano CPX, but without the quirks.
Ric66 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2013, 09:51 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Man you guys are making this complicated. I just sat mine up like the manual says and it flies perfectly!
NQX #1 RIP- lost in grass, NQX #2, MCPX v2, 130x, 300x ...DJI F550 Naza-M v2 GPS
DX8
Hyperion EOS0720i Net 3AD + power supply
Lots of planes.
represent is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2013, 10:24 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Might seem complicated, but there's a reason for it. On my transmitter, it doesn't work the way I want it to using the directions. With these settings, it does I'm glad the stock instructions helped you set up your Tx to your liking.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:45 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by represent View Post
Man you guys are making this complicated. I just sat mine up like the manual says and it flies perfectly!
Yes, but you don't have throttle hold functionality that way. If you ever plan to fly CP single rotors, not having that will teach you the bad habit of pulling down the left stick in a crash. Some are able keep the model types separated mentally if they fly both, but I like the controls to be consistent across models.
Ric66 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2013, 09:16 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Might seem complicated, but there's a reason for it. On my transmitter, it doesn't work the way I want it to using the directions. With these settings, it does
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric66 View Post
Yes, but you don't have throttle hold functionality that way.....I like the controls to be consistent across models.
+1

Good work!
Old 06-24-2013, 06:52 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default the newbe still needs some help here please.

Hi guys.
I have been following this thread especially since my nano qx showed up on saturday!

I have a Dx6i. I understand enough to be hazardous to myself on the programing. So to say I am lost in this thread is an understatement. I think because I do not understand all the ramifications of this setting will do this and that setting will do that and if you do this to this setting then you should expect that kind of reaction.....

Any way, I set my Dx6i up like in the original post and then "Tried" to the best of my ability to follow all the changes or revisions that have been suggested as this thread moved along...

Well, when I first tried to fly this quad it wanted to keep taking off to the left.....I could not get it up into a hover and stable....even instability mode..

Later yesterday I started to mimic some of my msr settings and it got a whole lot better....

However it still is not programed correctly cause I have some issues.
I.E. Sometimes if I hit the throtle Hold switch it will try to go into agility mode but everything will shut down and it will fall out of the sky.

I have tried to take off in agility mode and as soon as it leaves the floor it goes into stable mode and then a few seconds later it will go into agility mode and then maybe back...

so I am a bit perplexed on what I am doing wrong or do not have correct.....

I know I may not be giving you enough information to help me here. I guess I am going to have to write my settings down so I can list them and maybe you could figure out what I am doing wrong.....I hope...

Also I found out that chnaging batteries change the flight charistics a whole bunch...some batteries and the nano is off on its own....others and the thing flies like a dream.....

Over all I really like this little guy....It reminds me of an over grown trantula.....which is cool...

anyway if anyone can help me even a bit that would be cool.

Thanks Guys.
truckermusic is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in