Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Compass Helicopters > Compass 7HV, 7HVU and Chronos

Compass 7HV, 7HVU and Chronos Compass Compass 7HV, 7HVU and Chronos Model Helicopter Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2012, 03:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Formerly BarnStormer

Default New Battery Tray Rails = Sweet!

I just installed the new battery tray rails on my 7hv. They were super easy to put in.

http://www.nankinhobby.com/product-p/09-7061u.htm

It used to be a little bit of a pain to get the batts in, I would have to support the back of the tray while pushing/wiggling from the front or it would droop and slide under the guide pins.

Now the battery tray slides in sooo easy!
Great job Compass!
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2012, 03:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

very cool.....i think the original is great too!!!

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk2...otherwise i would of sent it from my home PC.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I received mine today. They're a really nice upgrade. The tray slides in nice and smooth!
AeroMattics is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2012, 06:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I wonder if these will get bent in a crash when the lower frames go. Possibly an additional crash cost item. Don't mean to be negative just curious.

belcom is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2012, 07:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Formerly BarnStormer

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by belcom View Post
I wonder if these will get bent in a crash when the lower frames go. Possibly an additional crash cost item. Don't mean to be negative just curious.
They are just square aluminium rods. If bent in a crash I will hammer back and replace.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnStormer View Post
They are just square aluminium rods. If bent in a crash I will hammer back and replace.
+1
AeroMattics is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2012, 02:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

How does this work? Rails underneath and pins on top and then use the existing battery tray and slide it in between those? So the only benefits are that it will not drop and fall underneath a pin or two?
Old 09-20-2012, 03:12 AM   #8 (permalink)
j2m
Registered Users

I want to get the rails - does anyone have them in stock in the UK yet?
j2m is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2012, 05:11 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Not yet mate. 2-3 weeks. Weston uk Is your place to go.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using tapatalk
Old 09-20-2012, 05:26 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trulsen View Post
How does this work? Rails underneath and pins on top and then use the existing battery tray and slide it in between those? So the only benefits are that it will not drop and fall underneath a pin or two?

I believe the rail replaces the existing pins. So the tray slides on top of the rail, and below the bottom edge of the upper frame halves.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:23 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathy View Post
Not yet mate. 2-3 weeks. Weston uk Is your place to go.
Hopefully they will also get quick release canopy mounts at the same time (and some Warp kits )
njs77 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2012, 06:57 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by njs77 View Post
Hopefully they will also get quick release canopy mounts at the same time (and some Warp kits )
yes they are reciving the quick release canopy mounts and new tail also. if you cant wait for the canopy mounts like me then the RC booya ones from fastlad will do the same thing
cupracing is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2012, 04:25 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just removed the pins and installed the rails but my tray is even harder to get in. My tray slides in smoothly about half way on the rails and then its gets very difficult. I tried loosening the lower bearing block bolts but that made no difference. Am I missing something here?

Loosening the rail bolts I'm able to slide the tray in (still not as smoothly as I was hoping for) but soon as I torque them down the tray is impossible to remove.

Last edited by button head; 09-21-2012 at 05:38 PM..
button head is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2012, 07:44 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by button head View Post
I just removed the pins and installed the rails but my tray is even harder to get in. My tray slides in smoothly about half way on the rails and then its gets very difficult. I tried loosening the lower bearing block bolts but that made no difference. Am I missing something here?

Loosening the rail bolts I'm able to slide the tray in (still not as smoothly as I was hoping for) but soon as I torque them down the tray is impossible to remove.
Mine were like that too.
I did what you did and checked to see if the rails were drilled off center.
I ended up taking some 400 grit paper to the bat tray eges until it fit snugly, but not too tight.
Old 09-23-2012, 01:58 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I lightly sanded the sides of my tray but it made no difference, I guess it's possible I need to sand more. After looking closely my issue seems to be with the clearance between the upper frame and the rails. This small area that holds the tray seems too narrow, maybe I need to sand the widest portion of the tray?

It's small things like this that raise my frustration with the 7hv, upgrades In particular should not need modification IMHO. What happened to direct fit?
Old 09-23-2012, 08:41 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Loosen one side rail at a time and slide the tray. Is one side worse than the other?
I found only one side was too tight on my heli.
As I test fit between sanding I could see the tight spots easily as they scraped and re-polished the battery tray. I knew exactly what spots needed the most sanding.

I agree, new, improved things shouldn't need any mods, but my biggest frustration is the used hv I bought wasn't assembled, setup or cared for correctly so this is just one more "little" thing for me to address before I am ready to maiden it.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:55 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok, so I have the rails installed and all is smooth. My tray did not need sanding since the rails were the actual problem. With the rails removed I instantly noticed the holes were not perfectly centered. After reinstalling with the thinner portion facing upward the tray now slides smoothly. Now I can agree this is a good upgrade.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:09 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by button head View Post
Ok, so I have the rails installed and all is smooth. My tray did not need sanding since the rails were the actual problem. With the rails removed I instantly noticed the holes were not perfectly centered. After reinstalling with the thinner portion facing upward the tray now slides smoothly. Now I can agree this is a good upgrade.
Did you just flip the rails or something. I did this upgrade last night as well and ran into the same issue you had. I was going to start sanding the rails but if you just flipped them I'll give that a shot.

Team Scorpion
Gawl is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2012, 01:47 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawl View Post
Did you just flip the rails or something. I did this upgrade last night as well and ran into the same issue you had. I was going to start sanding the rails but if you just flipped them I'll give that a shot.
Yes, I just flipped the rails. Glad I didn't sand too much before figuring it out.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:53 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I don't have the rails yet. so it sounds like to keep machining costs down a bit, they have a loose tolerance on total thickness because that doesn't matter, and reference the holes off of the top surface where the trays should rest. Good info for everyone.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in