Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Airplanes Info and Support > Foamies and Park Flyers

Foamies and Park Flyers 3D Foamies and Park Flyers are an EXCELLENT way to improve your reflexes and stick finesse

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2012, 07:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 3DHS 48" Edge 540

I got started on the build yesterday. Can't believe I was able to hold off this long. I have been reading through the dedicated thread on RCGroups which is 367 pages long. Taking my time as I want to get this right. Also have been waiting on fiberglass servo arm extensions which arrived yesterday afternoon. Overall the build is very similar to the 41" Edge except for the 48 has a pull-pull on the rudder. I found and used a mod that allows you to screw the main gear in instead of using epoxy. I always thought that was a dumb idea. I soaked all the joints in the motorbox and elsewhere with thin CA. Main gear, rudder and tail wheel are now mounted. As are the Omega 130 motor and CC 54 amp ESC. I have bound the AR 6210 RX and remote RX to my DX6i and tested it and all 4 HS 65 MG servos. I almost cheaped out and went with HS 65 HBs but whats another 20 bucks. I am very impressed with the quality of the 3DHS parts, everything is top notch and fit and finish so far at least are perfect. Even though I wanted this plane in orange the blue, yellow and white are starting to grow on me. Last night at work I realized why those colors appeal to me. Please limit the hillbilly jokes to two per person please.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1304.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	292296   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1306.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	292297   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1309.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	292298   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1311.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	292299   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1316.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	292300  

Name:	DSCF1315.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	292301   Click image for larger version

Name:	WestVirginiaMountaineers2.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	292302  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2012, 09:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you can, run your BEC at 6.0V, it really wakes up the 65MGs.
Ace4 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2012, 11:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

That is the plan to run on 6 volts if it ever gets here. That is the only thing missing the CC 10 amp UBEC currently on back order. May have to pickup a hobbywing one from value hobby. Got the servos mounted and the arm extension put together. About ready to tackle the pull-pull rudder, I found a simplified setup for that on RCGroups too.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF1320.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	292353   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1321.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	292354  
Old 02-23-2012, 12:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Smile

Almost done! Cowling mounted and pull-pull finished, it was no real sweat after all. Nothing much left to do except check the throws and tighten everything down and route some servo wires. Hobby Wing UBEC on order should be here by Monday. Supposed to be very windy the next two days so the maiden will have to wait.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF1328.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	292629  
Old 02-26-2012, 08:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wind finally died down and I did the maiden flight today. I was nervous but all went well. It leaped off the ground in about 4 feet. Trimmed out easily with 3 clicks of elevator and one of aileron. Rolled upside down and checked CG and that was good too only needing the lightest touch on the right stick for level flight at about half throttle. Even on low rates controls were very crisp and responsive. God what a great plane! Even though it was the very first flight I couldn't help but do some rolls and loops and even a flat spin. Could not find any faults with the handling at low or high speed. Did a few practice approaches and then the actual landing was really a non event. Great plane, or did I say that already! Ready to fly with a 30c 2200 mAh battery my Edge 540 weighs 42 ounces. All in all a joy to build and fly!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF1338.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	293669   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1339.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	293670   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1337.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	293671  
Old 02-26-2012, 08:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Awesome!!! Glad to hear the maiden was a success, now you can see why I love these 3DHS planes. They handle so predictably and solidly in the air and landing them is a breeze, especially once you can land the Extra 300. Now we wait for the video... Congrats on the maiden of your first balsa plane, you're officially hooked, welcome to the club.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Actually I had 2 balsa planes before but Ronald Reagan was President at the time and neither survived more than a few flights. That was long enough ago to not really count.
Yes Mojappa you were right about 3DHS aircraft! Night and day difference from anything else I have owned or flown. I ended up with 35 degrees up and down on the ailerons, 45 on the elevator and about 50 on the rudder. I may have to tone down the end points on the rudder a bit as it is touching the elevator at full stick. APC 14x7E prop worked wonderful I was climbing vertical at half throttle even with my old tired 30c battery. Thanks again Mo for steering me in the right direction.

My 3DHS 48" Edge 01.3gp (6 min 53 sec)

Last edited by marcoeldragon; 02-27-2012 at 07:28 AM.. Reason: video link
marcoeldragon is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2012, 09:34 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Did 3 more flights yesterday. This plane inspires confidence like nothing else I have flown before. I held a hover for over a minute, a first for me. It wasn't down in the weeds but a nice hover all the same. Plenty of power on 3s it hovered at a little over 1/2 throttle. Need to hook up my power meter and do a few tests. Landed at 6 minutes and still had 11.3 volts in my 2200 batteries. Probably boring you all so enough for now.
Old 03-10-2012, 02:18 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a total of 15 flights on this plane now. It should be more than that but the wind here has been fairly awful for the past 2 weeks. When I have been able to get it in the air the Edge is an absolute joy to fly. No bad habits at all. Solid and stable when you need it to be and wildly agile when you want that too. Hard to believe you can have both in one plane.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:52 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I kept trying to tell my dad that. Just because it's a 3D plane doesn't mean it's a squirrelly flier that has to be tumbling and flipping the whole time. Once he finally got the nerve to fly mine he realized what I meant, now he's got a 50some inch Hangar 9 Katana that he loves to fly.

Glad to hear you're still loving it, I know what you mean about the wind, it's been pretty crazy up this way as well. Happy flying.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:55 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Joe again for showing me the way. I just got back from 2 more fun flights. My wife gave me a recess from my honey do list. The Edge just plain builds your confidence with every flight. I find myself doing things lower and slower than ever before without fear of that sudden stall and wingtip drop the Extra 300 was so famous for. I did some fairly high alpha harrier stuff for almost 2 minutes on the second flight and only had a touch of wing rock, probably just my thumbs shaking.I still need to do some mixing for KE, aileron is fine but she needs some down elevator added to get rid of the pull toward the canopy.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0275.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	297536   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0279.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	297537  
Old 03-14-2012, 11:32 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Some final thoughts. Just got back from 4 of the best RC flights I have ever had. As this is my first real 3D aircraft I am easing my way into trying new things as my confidence level with the Edge builds. I was wondering if I had enough elevator throw with my setup and today I think I found out that I do. Full down elevator and blipping the throttle from 1/2 to about 3/4 and the Edge would tumble over and over inside its' own length without losing much if any altitude. Great fun! I also pulled off a KE loop and KE laps around my landing area both canopy in and out a first for me. Love this plane! I am running an Omega 130 on 3s with a 14x7 APC and have my CG set at 85 mm back from the leading edge. Still trying to wipe the silly grin from my face. Total of 21 flights now and hope many more to come.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:39 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just picked up a orange one a few weeks ago and I can't wait to get started. Looks like a lot of fun.
newheliguy81 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2012, 07:29 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

You will love it. Wish I had bought the orange before they ran out of stock, but the blue is growing on me. Best plane by far that I have owned or flown.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:25 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm looking at this or the 47" SHP (i think that's the right model lol). Hmm
BakedMopar is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2012, 10:55 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakedMopar View Post
I'm looking at this or the 47" SHP (i think that's the right model lol). Hmm
They both fly great. I've had a 47" SHP for over 2 years now, was my first balsa plane (I just got my 2nd balsa plane, the 87" SHP). The new version of it has airfoiled tail surfaces, so it should make it even crazier for high energy tumbles and such. The Edge will be a little better at low speed high alpha, you can turn harder while harriering without it dropping a wing. The Extra will be a little better for high energy maneuvers and will track better. The differences will be small between them, so honestly pick whichever you think looks better. The Extra comes with carbon landing gear, the Edge has wire gear.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:52 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Destroyed my Edge Sunday morning! No rx problems or anything else to blame it on. Simple pilot error! Have been trying to get used to flying the whole pack in high rates and it bit me in the arse. Got a bit close to a light pole and panicked, rolled too hard, drug a wingtip and cartwheeled on the pavement. Every body part except the elevator has at least some damage. On a brighter note 3DHS has the Orange Edge I really wanted back in stock. The pole in front of the wreckage is the one I was trying to avoid hitting, and yes I did not hit the pole. Should have yanked back on the elevator instead of rolling. The pole I passed right before the crash was the one that made me panic then I saw I was headed straight for the other one and the rest is history. Will be ordering new Edge Thursday morning.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtZnWbyGw5w[/ame]
Lessons learned don't fly near light poles. Pitch up rather than roll away. Don't panic in the first place.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF1344.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	300395   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1348.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	300396   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1346.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	300401   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1347.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	300402  
Old 03-19-2012, 10:04 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Oh man that sucks. The orange one is hot!

The deal I had going for the SHP for my 450 pro fell through so until I can get rid of that, I can decide between the two.
BakedMopar is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2012, 10:26 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Damn that sucks Marco, though I have felt the same exact feeling with my Edge. Watching it fall helplessly to its demise was shitty to say the least, I'm sure your mood was similar to mine...a desperate attempt to maintain your cool and positivity when all you wanna do is shout profanities. Glad you're not too bummed and have a replacement plan in effect. Do heed your lessons about flying near poles (or anything else for that matter. It's best to only fly in front of yourself and to be sure that the entire flying area is clear of obstacles. Sorry for your loss, I know you were loving it up until that point, the orange one should help to ease the pain.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:52 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

That looks fixable, if you are ok with recovering it. For the price of the 48"-size airframes, it probably isn't worth spending that much time repairing it though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in