Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Flight Stabilization

Flight Stabilization Flight Stabilization

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2010, 09:53 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default CP II or KDS FLIGHTMENTOR?

what is your choice if budget not an issue?

in terms of setup which is easier & have better control?

For CPII need own gyro ?

thanks
keong is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2010, 10:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

the co-pilot win's the contest, read the flymentor post's about the confusion, issus's with vista etc..and no factory support..you need a computer to set it up. or a lap top in the field. with the co-pilot 2 you use a hand set set up device. piece of cake! it saves me a crash a day, when I get in trouble, just let go of the stick and bingo! level flight in one second... move the gear switch and you are on your own. I just move my left index finger forward when in trouble, and all is good, safe again!! and no looking at the tx , just a foward movment of one finger,,,,,, and yes you need your own gyro,,,,, I love it Larry see my demo on youtube goto "cardoc525"
Old 01-29-2010, 11:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

My vote after owning both systems and Captron Helicommand

CPII is a much easier setup, if you watch the install/setup video's on the FMA Direct website you should have no problems.
Customer support is outstanding from FMA

I know there are a few who are out on the forum helping fellow pilots set up there FlyMentors and to them nice work!

IMHO...all thing being equal the easiest is CPII

Last edited by nightflyr; 01-29-2010 at 05:00 PM..
nightflyr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2010, 05:57 AM   #4 (permalink)
Thread Starter Thread Starter

cool...looks like CPII will be my choice ,,,anymore voters for FlightMentor or CPII?

thankss
Old 01-30-2010, 08:08 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

agree, customer support is super. I bought 2 unit copilot for my t450 and t500, however one computer unit was not working properly and I just sent it back to Howard for replacement and i got the replacement rightaway. thx for the prompt reply Howard.
squeency is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2010, 10:58 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by keong View Post
cool...looks like CPII will be my choice ,,,anymore voters for FlightMentor or CPII?

thankss
Hi, just FYI the CPII is on 15% off until monday.
teb1963 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2010, 11:50 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by n6nev View Post
the co-pilot win's the contest, read the flymentor post's about the confusion, issus's with vista etc..and no factory support..you need a computer to set it up. or a lap top in the field. with the co-pilot 2 you use a hand set set up device. piece of cake! it saves me a crash a day, when I get in trouble, just let go of the stick and bingo! level flight in one second... move the gear switch and you are on your own. I just move my left index finger forward when in trouble, and all is good, safe again!! and no looking at the tx , just a foward movment of one finger,,,,,, and yes you need your own gyro,,,,, I love it Larry see my demo on youtube goto "cardoc525"
Mmmmm. Confusion, yes there is some but of course CP2 does not confuse anybody does it so why all the post ?. There is confusion with everything radios,helis and every thing else in this hobby. Issues with vista yes but then who does not have issues with vista. Laptop in the field, well I have never taken a laptop with me. As for the rest of it flymentor will do the same.
I have no intention of putting down CP2 I know it will do what the makers claim and I would not dream of putting down something that I have not personally tested.I have very briefly flown one and its owner demonstated it for me and it did what it is supposed to do. I do own 4 flymentors I have no issues with them,and it takes me minutes to set them up. I use them in scale helis something that CP2 is not suitable for. Bearing in mind that I have only briefly flown with CP2 and have flown a lot with flymentor, in my opionion flymentor is the better of the two for the beginner and the CP2 is better for the more experienced flyer who wants a bail out device. Ivor
Ivor Hill is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2010, 12:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

in my opionion flymentor is the better of the two for the beginner and the CP2 is better for the more experienced flyer who wants a bail out device. Ivor

Ahh this is where your misinformed Ivor,

The CPII was designed from the beginning to be an assistant to learn how to fly, the basic setup and layout was simplicity.
The confusion surrounding the CPII is 90% of the issues are from not fully reading the instructions and understanding them, with a basic understanding of the CPII it is by far the easiest system to setup, even if you follow Howard's video's the most it will take is 10 minutes.

I have install one (and did) on a 700LE ..in as much time it takes to secure the sensors on to the heli and plug your Rx and servo's to the Avionics computer,btw actually a minute and 37 seconds (I timed it for you) and run the programmer through Quick setup, (another 4 minutes )if your just learning it.... and the heli was airborne.

And taking a whopping 3 minutes and 37 seconds, I even managed to system integrate the CPII along with a Vstabi flybarless unit, something that can never be done with a flymentor.

And the new Align 3G system is next on my list starting next week for system integration with a CPII

In that time frame most will still be trying to figure out how to get the software to function, not to mention what servo get plugged into what port and that the installation manual for the flymentor has a few serious issues, which we both know to be fact.

I know your a FM proponent, and I still believe you do an excellent job in helping others when it concerns setting up a FM

But when it comes down to performance and ease of use, and capabilities on these points I have an edge over most.

I do not use these systems to help me fly, I use them to see how far flying can be pushed.

Oh hell I even manage to FBL a CPII long ago.

The only advantage that the FM has on the CPII is that it can be used indoors ( though I would never spool my 600 650 700's up in less than a indoor stadium to be safe.

The CPII's I own have been tested on everything from 450's -700. and never failed to control the big birds, I don't believe many pilots would trust a $2,000.00 - $4,000.00 helicopter with a $100.00 copy of HC, on a 450 sure, why not, cheap enough for repairs.

Now that I sit back and think, it's quite possible the FM has an operational limit, As you state you've not had an issue, perhaps installing it on a 600 was beyond what it is capable of and thus caused the unit to malfunction and fail.
An interesting thought to ponder, Vbar states not to use a Mini VBar on anything larger than a 500 class, perhaps FM has similar limits.

Old 01-30-2010, 01:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

This seems to be a Ford Chevy type debate. I think if you are use to one system, you tend to stick with that system. I might buy a FM system to get a first hand comparsion between it and CP2. I all things being equal, I think the FM is about $40 cheaper.
vanguy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2010, 02:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflyr View Post
in my opionion flymentor is the better of the two for the beginner and the CP2 is better for the more experienced flyer who wants a bail out device. Ivor

Ahh this is where your misinformed Ivor,

The CPII was designed from the beginning to be an assistant to learn how to fly, the basic setup and layout was simplicity.
The confusion surrounding the CPII is 90% of the issues are from not fully reading the instructions and understanding them, with a basic understanding of the CPII it is by far the easiest system to setup, even if you follow Howard's video's the most it will take is 10 minutes.

I have install one (and did) on a 700LE ..in as much time it takes to secure the sensors on to the heli and plug your Rx and servo's to the Avionics computer,btw actually a minute and 37 seconds (I timed it for you) and run the programmer through Quick setup, (another 4 minutes )if your just learning it.... and the heli was airborne.

And taking a whopping 3 minutes and 37 seconds, I even managed to system integrate the CPII along with a Vstabi flybarless unit, something that can never be done with a flymentor.

And the new Align 3G system is next on my list starting next week for system integration with a CPII

In that time frame most will still be trying to figure out how to get the software to function, not to mention what servo get plugged into what port and that the installation manual for the flymentor has a few serious issues, which we both know to be fact.

I know your a FM proponent, and I still believe you do an excellent job in helping others when it concerns setting up a FM

But when it comes down to performance and ease of use, and capabilities on these points I have an edge over most.

I do not use these systems to help me fly, I use them to see how far flying can be pushed.

Oh hell I even manage to FBL a CPII long ago.

The only advantage that the FM has on the CPII is that it can be used indoors ( though I would never spool my 600 650 700's up in less than a indoor stadium to be safe
I am not misinformed. I read all the post the same as you and I do not dispute that CP2 is easy to set up.
So 90% of the problems is not reading and understanding the manuel, well I wont argue with that but are you saying that none of the problems with flymentor are for the same reason. As bad as the manuel is a lot of the problems can be solved by reading it. It is a translation and as with most translated manuals a lot is lost in the translation.
When I said better for the beginner I meant flying not setting up I have hovered both and flymentor is easier. realy good for nose in training in a confined space.
Flying indoors is not the only advantage FM has over CP2 it can also be flown if you are surrounded trees and houses mountains,inside a scale heli and in overcast conditions.
Anybody reading this please do not think that I am criticising CP2 I believe it does all that the makers claim and is a good product. Ivor
Old 01-30-2010, 02:38 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My issues with FM are this, It is not compatable with Vista, with out some changes ,and how do you make a change in the field ? , My install with CP2 was simple with only one issue, I had two servos's crossed, all those little wires look the same.. I do not want to buy a product and then find out XP is required and I must get in Vista and make a change ... thats my 3 Cents worth ( inflation ) Larry
Old 01-30-2010, 03:03 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would describe CP2 as more for flight recovery in open space while FM and HC seem to be more for automatic hover in confined space. I think if you live in some conjested urban settings like Hong Kong, FM might be more benefitial for that environment.
vanguy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2010, 03:11 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by n6nev View Post
My issues with FM are this, It is not compatable with Vista, with out some changes ,and how do you make a change in the field ? , My install with CP2 was simple with only one issue, I had two servos's crossed, all those little wires look the same.. I do not want to buy a product and then find out XP is required and I must get in Vista and make a change ... thats my 3 Cents worth ( inflation ) Larry
I wont argue with the vista issues exept to say that it is not the only programme that does not like vista. I bought a laptop with vista because I did not know any better but I soon found out that I could not programme my satnav and even the helicommand programme was giving me proplems so I use an old laptop with XP for these things.
Why do you think that it is necassary to make changes in the field, it is not it flys very well on its presets. If you want to play and experiment then yes a laptop is necassary but thats your choice the only thing I change is the gain and I do that from my radio. In fact I always recommend that the preset are used for at lease the first flights because I know they work
Ivor
Old 01-30-2010, 03:33 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

As a beginner, I like to make changes in the field, to see if the change is for the better or not... and yes not every product works with Vista, I has issues there also....Vista has been out now for some time, and I would hope that a company would make their item vista friendly, as one is needed..... More chev v ford guess! I did MB and BMW service for many years and the auto's did the same thing, just different ! enjoy Larry
Old 01-30-2010, 03:37 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivor Hill View Post
I am not misinformed. I read all the post the same as you and I do not dispute that CP2 is easy to set up.
So 90% of the problems is not reading and understanding the manuel, well I wont argue with that but are you saying that none of the problems with flymentor are for the same reason. As bad as the manuel is a lot of the problems can be solved by reading it. It is a translation and as with most translated manuals a lot is lost in the translation.
When I said better for the beginner I meant flying not setting up I have hovered both and flymentor is easier. realy good for nose in training in a confined space.
Flying indoors is not the only advantage FM has over CP2 it can also be flown if you are surrounded trees and houses mountains,inside a scale heli and in overcast conditions.
Anybody reading this please do not think that I am criticising CP2 I believe it does all that the makers claim and is a good product. Ivor
Ivor, heres a look at the CPII, with trees and houses around as you can see.....
also it was overcast out, as you can see by the lack of sunshine
The limitations may be over stated

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2W-ABnmhVc[/ame]

Old 01-30-2010, 03:43 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

go to youtube and look at my videos, (cardoc525) I am next to tree's , car's, overcast, with no change, or problems, I had some concern at first, as the maker says a grass field is best , but here in the big city, it flys fine !
Old 01-30-2010, 03:49 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflyr View Post
Ivor, here a look at the CPII, with trees and houses around as you can see.....

The limitations may be over stated

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2W-ABnmhVc

was that hands off ,,,,I have a 450 pro and a 500 this cp2 is being put into i have no clue what to expect...Will these birds with the cp2 fly like a co axe heli....Yes i can fly a little my vids below...what do u guys think as far as this working for me..

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOpJE7uC7EQ[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4jEquik9Vg[/ame]

will this cp2 enhance my skills without less crashes...Ive seen all the vids out here but i am still skeptical...

Let me know what ya think Bones and all the rest of u cp2 users...i do have trees and cars look at the vid see if im all good thanks alot freaks
icerat4 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2010, 03:52 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

And to show how it reacts....
The houses, trees & cars were not enough , so went to test it against the shopping mall and woods

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23AP_ZVor_0[/ame]

Old 01-30-2010, 04:10 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Let me know what ya think Bones and all the rest of u cp2 users...i do have trees and cars look at the vid see if im all good thanks alot freaks

Where in the heli is my chain saw

By the looks of your surrounding you may be able to get to use the CPII, though in the spring and summer I could see you may have an issue..only time and test flights will tell

Old 01-30-2010, 09:24 PM   #20 (permalink)
Thread Starter Thread Starter

bro...what is the website for this special offer? thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in