Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Skookum Robotics

Skookum Robotics Skookum Robotics SK-360 SK-540 & SK-720 Digital Flybar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2009, 08:38 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

But that's not a problem!! You can tell the skookum to scale down the input. You need to enable the advanced configurations. I have no windows pc here at work so I can't look it up. You have to use the drop down window menu and you can tick a box somewhere to enable the menu on the second tab that's usually greyed out.
Than fiddle with the settings until you get 100 - 100 on the skookum.
This feature also works great with unequal throws.

Now with a DX7 you can recalibrate your radio. I had to do it after putting in ball bearings. center and the endpoints had moved a tiny bit but recalibrating solved it all
jvthert is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2009, 09:35 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvthert View Post
But that's not a problem!! You can tell the skookum to scale down the input. You need to enable the advanced configurations. I have no windows pc here at work so I can't look it up. You have to use the drop down window menu and you can tick a box somewhere to enable the menu on the second tab that's usually greyed out.
Than fiddle with the settings until you get 100 - 100 on the skookum.
This feature also works great with unequal throws.

Now with a DX7 you can recalibrate your radio. I had to do it after putting in ball bearings. center and the endpoints had moved a tiny bit but recalibrating solved it all

heres a post from skookum on this subject.......

>Skookum could you clarify this for me? Does it matter where we adjust end points?

Yes it does. Never adjust the servo endpoints at the control tab :-)
Those adjustments are only for use if you turn off "auto trim at init". In fact I should have that disable them on the next rev, thanks.

Many people have commented that there should be double end-points like in their radios and so the next firmware update will have that feature....when I get enough programming time in to finish it....

Re the elevator bobbing, if adjusting the elev damping gain on the advanced tab doesn't eliminate it, there is a hidden variable that caps acceleration commands in each axis, that could be either exposed for the user in the setup software or tweaked. That would fix it for sure, but it would do it by limiting how sharply you could change the elevator rate (snappiness).
Skint Eastwood is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2009, 10:10 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have another one:

Quote:
The manual says that to keep things simpler. If you want max resolution from your radio, yes you can use 150% travels on your radio and then set the travels to 150% on the Control tab in the setup software. Just be sure to use your 150% rate when you test cyclic pitch range while in setup mode (don't dial back servo travel instead!). When you are testing say cyclic pitch for aileron, it should show 100% pilot input for aileron.
Link

Skookum... could you clarify these contradicting statements?
Old 01-27-2009, 10:16 AM   #24 (permalink)

Lol.... explain your way out of this one Skookum...
Skint Eastwood is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2009, 12:30 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Interesting.
rcmike is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2009, 01:05 PM   #26 (permalink)
t2o
Registered Users

The control tab is to get the radio and the SK on the same scale so I would use it as such. My Dx is perfect at zero, +100 and -100 and wouild not be if I had not used the control tab.

There where issues early on with people using the control tab as trim and/or endpoint adjustment, which is not correct.

Before this scaleing issue with Futaba Tx's, would it have made since for Skookum to steer us away from the control tab? I think so.
t2o is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2009, 01:18 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'll try and mess with it later and see what I can come up with.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:39 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

quote sk "Those adjustments are only for use if you turn off "auto trim at init". In fact I should have that disable them on the next rev, thanks."

yeah , i only have ever had that clicked ... i use auto trim at initialisation .

so the control servo adjustment has been greyed out on my 1.10 sk

again , K.I.S.S apply's keep it simple !!
jase
oldschool269 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2009, 02:48 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by t2o View Post
The control tab is to get the radio and the SK on the same scale so I would use it as such. My Dx is perfect at zero, +100 and -100 and wouild not be if I had not used the control tab.

There where issues early on with people using the control tab as trim and/or endpoint adjustment, which is not correct.

Before this scaleing issue with Futaba Tx's, would it have made since for Skookum to steer us away from the control tab? I think so.
Hey t2o , was it a long way out ??

i have as i said only used auto trim , so my down stick isn't always zero , and full stick isn't always 100.
more like 3 and 97
but its close enough to actually work , and fly the heli .. and get the pitch range i wanted to use +more

and it flys it well..
Jason
oldschool269 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2009, 07:22 PM   #30 (permalink)
t2o
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool269 View Post
Hey t2o , was it a long way out ??

i have as i said only used auto trim , so my down stick isn't always zero , and full stick isn't always 100.
more like 3 and 97
but its close enough to actually work , and fly the heli .. and get the pitch range i wanted to use +more

and it flys it well..
Jason

My Dx was off only by a few points, like yours, I would not bother but the manual for my first SK (version 1.04) took me through the procedure.

The version 1.04 manual reads - Blah, blah, something or other, blah, "If its too low or reaches 100% much before the sticks limit, adjust Travel on the control tab.

The version 1.10 manual reads - "If its too low or reaches 100% much before the sticks limit, adjust endpoints and sub-trims for that channel in your radio.

The original one make more sense to me and certainly if your scaling is off by a ton like rcmike's.
t2o is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2009, 07:34 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

I tried what the 1.04 manual said and that worked too. I think I am going to try it that way and see how it goes. It does seem like a better solution to me but I am not an electronics expert so I don't know much.
Old 01-31-2009, 05:27 AM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ugh...almost missed this thread. :-)

Reading back it seems everybody gets that the control inputs are the command to the gyro, not to the servos, and so should be dealt with before the swash motion. The goal here is to get +-100% on the "pilot control" fields in the top-centre of the display. Originally there were too many options and beginners wound up trying to adjust servo motion on the control tab.

If you use "auto trim at init" that overrides the control tab trims, but not the travels. You can still use those to match up full stick deflection to 100%. I wouldn't worry about it if it's within a few percent.

The confusion with the futaba and the "100% in your radio" from the manual, is that its an industry standard that "full" servo throw is a PWM signal change of 400us from center. So the DX7 and most others defined that as "100%". The trick is that many (most?) servos wind up being used at 125% throw (500us). So I guess futaba just decided, ok, that's the new "100%".

So if you have to set your futaba to 78% endpoints to get 100% control ranges, you're not getting any less resolution than the DX7 users at 100%. If you're a keener for resolution you can unlock the control travels from the options tab, and set the travel to 150% (600us) and then set your radio endpoints to get full control ranges in setup. That shoudn't require readjusting the swash mix or anything, it should be the same.

The new radios are all going on about 4096 steps etc, and the SK360 has overkill too that way, but the digital end is not the bottleneck: there's electrical noise all over, the pots in our radios are a bit cheap sometimes (why aren't they optical yet??), plus the receivers and servos don't have super accurate parts (due to size) so they drift with temperature too by almost 1% over indoor vs cold outdoor.

FYI this same issue can exist for tail gyros, it's just not staring you in the face on a setup screen.
Skookum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2009, 09:19 AM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the clarification. I haven't gotten to fly much and test things out but maybe today after it warms up. I guess the thing that was really bugging me was that it was way off center. On positive pitch everything was fine but negative pitch was way off.
Old 01-31-2009, 12:34 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thans for the explanation Skookum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by t2o View Post
The control tab is to get the radio and the SK on the same scale so I would use it as such. My Dx is perfect at zero, +100 and -100 and wouild not be
if I had not used the control tab.
I had similar issues with my DX7. It turned out I needed to recalibrate the gimbals in the radio. There's a huge thread on RCgroups how to get into the setup menu (the correct procedure is in post #7) and get your transmitter to behave. I needed only a tiny bit of trim and throw adjustment in the sk360 to get the whole input part perfectly symmetric.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in